Quad LP/Tape Poll Moody Blues: Seventh Sojourn [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Seventh Sojourn"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
From 1972, the last of the 'Original 7.'

Side 1:

1. Lost In A Lost World
2. New Horizons
3. For My Lady
4. Isn't Life Strange

Side 2:

1. You And Me
2. The Land Of Make Believe
3. When You're A Free Man
4. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock And Roll Band)

ED :)

I rated this a '10,' not only for the mix, but for the blend of gentle (yet forceful--"The Land Of Make Believe"), bombastic (yet gentle--"Isn't Life Strange") and rocking ("You And Me," the almost definitive "I'm Just A Singer") that was always part'n'parcel with this band. It is this eclectic mix of approaches, I suspect, that has kept them out of the dubious, often appalling Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame, a committee of fools who so often haven't known the true spirit of rock music from, well....anything else that has entered their limited minds. They've inducted everyone from Brenda Lee (!), whose primary music was pop and (later) country, to Bobby Darin, whose primary music started out a bit rocking (as did Lee's), but went all over the map, from big band to neo-folk, neo-surf, pure pop...just about anything the man thought might sell. The Moodies have been lumped in with pretentious and progressive acts for so long, and ridiculed for their concerned 'message' songs (mostly by Mike Pinder, and a few are here--"Lost In A Lost World," "When You're A Free Man"), 'mystical' excursions ("Legend Of A Mind"), and some mindless, obscure ruminations (take your pick). And of course the overblown Mellotron-laden 'sound' of the band, etc. Personally, I think what subliminally bothers some are those truly pretentious, ridiculous album covers they've approved over the years. Ironically, this one has a rather arid, modest look, although the inner gatefold drawing is just as silly as ever.

What made the Moodies special--and has kept them going to this day--is that they care about their music and fans over anything else (though I'm sure the nice money made over the years has also played a factor).

I like this mix a lot: smartly assembled with nothing flashy going on (reflects the music nicely), just a mix that serves the music all the way. And of course by this time ('72), quad was beginning to move, and one must think the album in quad was easily mixed to what was done in stereo (nothing radically different, AFAIK, except that it surrounds you--wonderfully).

I'm the culprit who gave this an 8. The mix is wonderful. I have it on Q8, as well. The performance and fidelity are the reasons for the 8. Isn't Life Strange and I'm Just a Singer are great. Some of the others are less than stellar. The previous six albums had better material overall. For most bands this would be an album worthy of the title of their best. For these guys, it isn't even close. It's still a pretty terriffic album, though.

Linda

Well, this one is very special to me for several reasons. First, as a longtime fan of the band, I'd already seen them in concert several times before this album came out. Also, it was known that Mike Pinder had grown dissatisfied with certain aspects of being in the band, wanted to leave, and was about to go (he did, but came back, at least for OCTAVE, then left again for good--and a good call, IMO).

It's also a fine quad mix, one I would showcase to anyone curious about why quad sound was worth investing in. Also, the music is, unlike previous albums, a bit more relaxed overall, as if the band knew they'd gone as far as they were going to get; a summation of what made them unique, but not a lot of flash or flamboyance. And "I'm Just A Singer" was a very obvious statement that they weren't the 'mystical' or pretentious band they'd often been accused of being, but also guys who could rock very hard (and still do!)

And unlike DOFP, it has all the music--no later overdubs missing (AFAIK), no extended passages (that is, it offers less surprises, but is in a way the better for that). And it was their first #1 album in the US. They'd toured here for years, and it paid off in better sales and a lasting, dedicated (if now aging) audience that remains.

Like you, Ed, I think the Moodies are better without the extended passages. I love their songs, especially those with a great hook, good lyrics and structure. To me, this one is like Gaucho, a less than stellar swan song, still a very good album.

I love these guys and have owned every SACD, Q8, 1/2 speed master, dbx LP, CD, gold CD and 2ch LP of their albums. I saw them live one November and bought tickets for their next local appearance the following May. I would up being out of town and it pained me to give the tickets to a girlfriend. It would have been the same show I heard months before, yet I was heartbroken to have missed it. I dig them that much.

Octave was a supreme disappointment. Far and away the WORST album post-Denny Lane. It was literally the contractual obligation album. They had broken up with no intention of reunion. Decca said, you owe us one more. Undoubtedly why Pinder was on it. By contrast, I liked Long Distance Voyager. it convinced me that the Moodies were back in earnest. Softer and poppier, for sure. The Voice is as good as anything they ever did. I eagerly awaited each new 80's release. Admittedly, they pale compared to any of those seven. If the 80's albums were all they ever did, this would still be a KILLER band.

I'll put Gypsy, Story in Your Eyes, the Voice, Nights in White Satin, Out and In, Tuesday Afternoon, Question, Watching and Waiting and Never Comes the Day against anything by any band. There's very few artists that can top those.

Linda

Well, this one is very special to me for several reasons. First, as a longtime fan of the band, I'd already seen them in concert several times before this album came out. Also, it was known that Mike Pinder had grown dissatisfied with certain aspects of being in the band, wanted to leave, and was about to go (he did, but came back, at least for OCTAVE, then left again for good--and a good call, IMO).

It's also a fine quad mix, one I would showcase to anyone curious about why quad sound was worth investing in. Also, the music is, unlike previous albums, a bit more relaxed overall, as if the band knew they'd gone as far as they were going to get; a summation of what made them unique, but not a lot of flash or flamboyance. And "I'm Just A Singer" was a very obvious statement that they weren't the 'mystical' or pretentious band they'd often been accused of being, but also guys who could rock very hard (and still do!)

And unlike DOFP, it has all the music--no later overdubs missing (AFAIK), no extended passages (that is, it offers less surprises, but is in a way the better for that). And it was their first #1 album in the US. They'd toured here for years, and it paid off in better sales and a lasting, dedicated (if now aging) audience that remains.

As with most of the Moodies stuff, I prefer the Q4 to the SACD and DTS CD. A DVD-A created from a good quad reel is the best way to hear these (other than playing the reel itself!)

I'm in the minority as I do not really like "Just a Singer", maybe because of burn out, but as I recall, I wasn't a big fan of that track when it first came out. I do like the deep tracks and this album makes me miss Mike Pinder in the later albums.

I have to give it a 9.

While I like this album I was a bit disappointed with the quad mix. I just finished doing up my Q8 version and comparing it to the original release there are things missing in the mix - instrument parts that aren't there at all or mixed with a different balance. Not to say it is not a fine album, it is. With the missing stuff - subtle though it may be - I consider the quad to be another "separate" version of the original. Still enjoy I'm Just a Singer - wasn't listening to radio that much then so I did not suffer burn out from overplaying.

Back