DVD/DTS Poll Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Moody Blues - SEVENTH SOJOURN

• Total voters
This version of Seventh Sojourn sounds wonderful in 5.1 surround. I'm not a big Moody Blues fan, but this disc is a pleasure to listen to fan or not.

A '9'....might be a smidgen of room for improvement, but this is an exceptional title and glorious mix...."Isn't Life Strange" is simply fantastic!

ED

Ed Bishop said:
A '9'....might be a smidgen of room for improvement, but this is an exceptional title and glorious mix...."Isn't Life Strange" is simply fantastic!

ED
agreed! this one's an absolute killer. beautiful.

I vote 10. I just love the Moody Blues in Surround or Quad. Great mix & great music.:banana:

possibly their best overall effort.
or at the very least the equal to "in search of the lost chord".
for some reason though Justin Haywood's songs on this release are not as strong as his other lp efforts, but it's more than made up by the strong writing of the other members.
a great release overall

jaybird100 said:
A stunning recording. The surround mix is excellent, and it shows that the original quad mix CAN be reworked to include LFE and center. Are you listening, Universal?

They were listening to something, just not sure exactly what...;)

ED :)

Howdy: Just got this (I'm late to the fray) and think that the overall mix is great. I've been a Moody's fan since..oh..1976 or so, but have never heard the quad mix of this, is the DTS 5.1 derived from it? I don't have a "Hi-End" system but it seemed that the center channel was rather weak for me, if that is a result of adapting the quad mix then that is not a problem. In fact, I am fine with it if it is mainly a 4 channel mix! I thought it was quite discrete in the back channels, mainly acoustic guitar and percussion on most tracks which went well with keeping the vocals and Justin's lead guitar in front. Really opened up the sound to have it this way..more "airy" (dare I use that word?) and not as dense in each speaker as hearing it in stereo.
My first DTS disc, so I'm quite pleased. Will be adding to the DTS library, I only hope that DTS Entertainment continues to do so. I would not call it a perfect mix, but I'd certainly give it an 8.5. John S.

John, turn the center off for any DTS disc which was initially a quad release. We did the center to allow DTS to be part of the industry standard. A center speaker is really a detriment to a soundfield. A good mix can include a center without the distraction of the speaker pulling the field apart. These discs were made from original quad mixes. The center is derived from the fronts. Just the way it had to be at the time. We were trying to accomidate everyones desires at DTS.

Howdy: Just got this (I'm late to the fray) and think that the overall mix is great. I've been a Moody's fan since..oh..1976 or so, but have never heard the quad mix of this, is the DTS 5.1 derived from it? I don't have a "Hi-End" system but it seemed that the center channel was rather weak for me, if that is a result of adapting the quad mix then that is not a problem. In fact, I am fine with it if it is mainly a 4 channel mix! I thought it was quite discrete in the back channels, mainly acoustic guitar and percussion on most tracks which went well with keeping the vocals and Justin's lead guitar in front. Really opened up the sound to have it this way..more "airy" (dare I use that word?) and not as dense in each speaker as hearing it in stereo.
My first DTS disc, so I'm quite pleased. Will be adding to the DTS library, I only hope that DTS Entertainment continues to do so. I would not call it a perfect mix, but I'd certainly give it an 8.5. John S.

Gave this a 9. I've owned it for several years and still listen to it regularly. Great music, great mix and the sound quality itself, while a bit bright on my system, is also excellent - sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

Minor quibble (this didn't affect the score): I wish DTS would provide some nice graphics on the disc itself that befit this classic - and classy - music. Right now the graphics look like what's on industrial testing gear. :(

Gave this a 9. I've owned it for several years and still listen to it regularly. Great music, great mix and the sound quality itself, while a bit bright on my system, is also excellent - sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

Minor quibble (this didn't affect the score): I wish DTS would provide some nice graphics on the disc itself that befit this classic - and classy - music. Right now the graphics look like what's on industrial testing gear. :(

Frisky,
The fact of the matter is when we put those discs together, DVD was some fantasy yet. In fact the debut of DVD was for movies only, discs were expensive, no one even had a thought about it containing graphics or music only. There was no room or reason on the CDs. So any graphics you see must have been found by the guys at DTS when they repackaged for DVD. Never seen them myself as i never had to get the later issues, what sort of graphics did they use??

quadtrade, sorry I should have been clearer. :eek: I meant *printed* graphics on the non-playing side of the CD.

I sure wish the music labels would allow you guys access to their quad recordings (for DTS-CD or a dvd w/1500kbps DTS track). I just don't understand why they are being so greedy? closeminded? about that.

Loved the record and the mix.
I am a big Moodys fan and I only wished they'd have done the collection in the
same SACD / DVD-A format that they did the Jackson Browne and REM stuff.
"Every Good Boy" would have been a great DVD-A to have!

-B

8. I'm Just a Singer, For My Lady and Isn't Life Strange are among their best. Some of the others are a bit thin. You can hear their enthusiasm waning. They broke up after this. They reunited in '77 for the absolutely dreadful Octave, aka the Contractual Obligation Album. I prefer the music on the six others of their original ouevre. The mix is great. I own the SACD 5.1, Q8 and this DTS CD. In addition, I've had the CD and LP. It is a classic album, with a great mix.

I saw these guys, or three of them anyway, four years ago at the Chicago Theater. They're still awesome.

8. I'm Just a Singer, For My Lady and Isn't Life Strange are among their best. Some of the others are a bit thin. You can hear their enthusiasm waning. They broke up after this. They reunited in '77 for the absolutely dreadful Octave...
Long Distance Voyager was in there somewhere.

Back