HiRez Poll Moody Blues - SEVENTH SOJOURN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moody Blues - SEVENTH SOJOURN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD, available in Europe only. (y) :phones (n)

(NOTE: This thread is for discussion and voting of the SACD only, not the DTS CD that is also available)

Attachments

• mb-seventh.jpg
    mb-seventh.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 346
Anyone out there listen to these (EGBDF also) yet and can offer an opinion?
How does it compare to the DTS disc? Strange that we haven't seen any review yet when they have been out in Europe for 2 weeks or so.....???
John S.

the last two sacd's have much better bottomend then the first 5 it sounds like they had better masters to work with [look at the dates] and maybe hayward took the time with them i gave it a 9.5/trainman92

the last two sacd's have much better bottomend then the first 5 it sounds like they had better masters to work with [look at the dates] and maybe hayward took the time with them i gave it a 9.5/trainman92

I can tell ya from working with the quad master. The 7th Sojourn will sound very good. It was done on better machines. The EGBDF was a mess. We wanted that out, but had serious issues with over modulation, just not heard well in the reels and q8s. When the master arrived, we found around ten places we were gonna need the original masters to replace parts. The band was agreeable, but other issues loomed, like no one buying these discs, and Brads health.

I've compared the SACD of Seventh Sojourn to the DTS CD and I prefer the latter by a large margin. The SACD seems to have had a LOT of its top end lopped; mind you it is consistent with the rest of the Moody's SACD releases in that respect. The DTS CD sounds significantly more 'open' and pleasant to listen to. A fine example is 'For My Lady' which is bright and airy on the DTS CD but sounds like it's got a sock over it on the SACD.

Thanks for the review, I'll look for EGBDF at the local Borders when it gets re-issued (luckily, I've gotten all the earlier Moody SACDs there) but will probably pass on 7th Sojourn, I like the DTS disc very much so I probably couldn't handle the disappointment! John

I have the dts disc as well but have not compared the 2 yet. In fact, I just got the SACD and listened to it today. Even if the dts turns out to be "better", I still like this SACD, especially for the bonus tracks. I played the bonus tracks using DPLIIx which created a very discrete soundfield nearly as good as the multichannel SACD tracks.

And the longer bonus track of "Isn't Life Strange" is simply gorgeous! I can't believe how much the added middle instrumental section adds to the depth of the song.:sun For that alone, I would want this SACD.

ss9001

Thanks for the review, I'll look for EGBDF at the local Borders when it gets re-issued (luckily, I've gotten all the earlier Moody SACDs there) but will probably pass on 7th Sojourn, I like the DTS disc very much so I probably couldn't handle the disappointment! John

Agreed. The DTS of SS will do for now unless I can be convinced otherwise. This is a case of higher ReZ exposing to many source flaws.

Are they the same Mix?. I don't think Mark Powell and Jason and Co had any input with the DTS mixes. This would more likely make me buy the SACD versions rather than any Hi Rez benefit. Is the centre ch used on SS and DOFP?.

Been revisiting these Moody Blues SACDs lately and like most on here, I feel like this album has the weakest surround mix out of all 6 surround albums,
BUT musically, it's probably their greatest effort behind "Days of Future Passed". All songs on this album are top-notch, and are all sung and performed brilliantly.
If you can find this SACD, get it. It may not be the end-all surround-wise, but it more than makes up for it with its stellar songs. :)

I'm still not sure what's 'weak' about the quad mix of "Isn't Life Strange" but I'm sure someone will clue me in...:)

ED :)

8. To me, some of the material is weak. What's great is as good as their best. I've had a Q8, 2ch LP, CD & DTS CD of this. I need to more closely A/B the SACD vs. DTS. Regardless, I'll keep this at least for the bonus tracks, since I'm a Moodies completist.

Isn't life strange?

Been revisiting these Moody Blues SACDs lately and like most on here, I feel like this album has the weakest surround mix out of all 6 surround albums...

I rearranged my front speakers due to a "change in decor." The new arrangement called for a wider spread of the fronts - each about 30 degrees off axis as I have seen recommended for a normal SACD setup. Most recordings sound better, but I found a noticeable improvement in the surround sound presentation of this particular SACD even though it is really a quad mix. Interesting.

Why is this marketed as a 5.1 surround mix? The center channel level is 30bd+ lower than the rest and has just garbage reverbed ambience in it if you can even get it high enough to hear.

It's a quad mix that they wanted to sell more of by pretending but not having to do a real 5.1 mix. Nothing wrong with a quad mix, but be honest about it.

Why is this marketed as a 5.1 surround mix? The center channel level is 30bd+ lower than the rest and has just garbage reverbed ambience in it if you can even get it high enough to hear.

It's a quad mix that they wanted to sell more of by pretending but not having to do a real 5.1 mix. Nothing wrong with a quad mix, but be honest about it.

I play ALL the Moody sacds in Quad mode...ctr n sub off in settings

Back