Moody Blues "To Our Children's Children's Children" (New Stephen W Tayler 5.1 Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son of A Gun, see my post #357, there is clearly no 5.1 selection in the 14 chapters (new mix). I wiped the disc with a lens cleaner, put it back in with MKV and BANG, now as you can see, I have a 5.1 choice in the 14 chapter studio selection.
I consider myself an expert ripper in all formats, but this was a first. I noticed there was a lot of finger smudges and grime on my disc, certainly not from me, oh well, it is ripping now, I'll let you know end result in a little while. The screen shots do not lie, weird.
Screenshot (88).png

I consider myself an expert ripper in all formats, but this was a first. I noticed there was a lot of finger smudges and grime on my disc, certainly not from me, oh well, it is ripping now, I'll let you know end result in a little while.
It was obviously the disc's retribution for spewing heresy regarding 60s music earlier in this thread. "It's got a 60's (1969) music vibe and I am just past that now these days." The Gypsy earworm comes for you, Mark. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just a follow-up with first impressions to the 5.1 mix of the live concert (formerly released as the concert portion of Caught Live Plus Five):

Really interesting approach to mixing this, and it's night and day from the original stereo version, which I know well. The audience is in the rear channels, as expected, but the music frequently fills the surround space, too -- including frequent echo. The ambience is boomier than I expected, with the impression that you're standing at the entrance to an empty, giant hall with the band playing at the far end on stage, rather than a crowded, smaller venue like RAH. (I've never been to RAH, so maybe this is a fair representation.) The instruments and vocals also are mixed more cohesively, with less separation than on the original stereo -- better reflecting the band's produced sound. The effect is simply different; I haven't listened extensively enough to decide how much I like it. One huge plus: The more blended mix tamps down the occasionally poor intonation of the flute. I love Ray Thomas, and he was a fine flutist, but his playing was often out of tune with the mellotron on vintage live recordings and even on the band's studio recordings from the "Go Now" era. (Listen to "Let Me Go" for an example.)

Just a follow-up with first impressions to the 5.1 mix of the live concert (formerly released as the concert portion of Caught Live Plus Five):

Really interesting approach to mixing this, and it's night and day from the original stereo version, which I know well. The audience is in the rear channels, as expected, but the music frequently fills the surround space, too -- including frequent echo. The ambience is boomier than I expected, with the impression that you're standing at the entrance to an empty, giant hall with the band playing at the far end on stage, rather than a crowded, smaller venue like RAH. (I've never been to RAH, so maybe this is a fair representation.) The instruments and vocals also are mixed more cohesively, with less separation than on the original stereo -- better reflecting the band's produced sound. The effect is simply different; I haven't listened extensively enough to decide how much I like it. One huge plus: The more blended mix tamps down the occasionally poor intonation of the flute. I love Ray Thomas, and he was a fine flutist, but his playing was often out of tune with the mellotron on vintage live recordings and even on the band's studio recordings from the "Go Now" era. (Listen to "Let Me Go" for an example.)
The Royal Albert Hall is not a 'smaller' venue - it can take over 5000 people and has a very high roof - having been to many concerts over the years I wanted to try and recreate the actual feeling of being in that quite ambient and wonderfully atmospheric space - I never got that feeling from the original mix! SWTx

alt-j.jpeg

I've never been there but I understand many performance venues have their own acoustic signature. If what youve recreated is an accurate mix for the RAH than kudos to you! I quite enjoy both of your surround mixes on this set.

The Royal Albert Hall is not a 'smaller' venue - it can take over 5000 people and has a very high roof - having been to many concerts over the years I wanted to try and recreate the actual feeling of being in that quite ambient and wonderfully atmospheric space - I never got that feeling from the original mix! SWTx

View attachment 91844

Sorry, when I wrote "giant hall," I meant the 12,000- to 15,000-seat arenas like the one down the street from me, common to most U.S. cities. That was the context for my comment about RAH being "smaller." Thanks for the clarification about the sound that historic venue provides, Steven. That's what I suspected, and the 5.1 mix certainly re-creates the ambience of a high-ceiling venue. This release makes that concert feel fresh again.

I see that the lunatic fringe over at SHF are ready to hang @Stephen W Tayler in effigy for what they consider to be egregious stereo and multi-channel mixes. I just received my copy yesterday and have yet to give it a spin, but after Tayler’s superlative work on Be-Bop Deluxe and VDGG, I’m fairly certain I won’t be in agreement with those folks.
As a long time member of SHF, I've learned to disregard any buying decision based on the consensus there.
The kicker for me was when the long reviled '87 Beatle CDs magically became superior to 2009 remasters.
Total bullshit revisionism. Very much akin to the upgrade obsessed audiophile who hears veils lifted with new power cords only in reverse.
Then there's the classic single anonymous reviewer who trashes something & some drone thanks them for saving them from the purchase
I go there for release news & not much else.

On to the positive. Ordered from JPC.DE for the 1st time due to the excellent price.
If your comfortable with no tracking, no updates & long delivery time they're great.
Reported shipped on 5/11 arrived 5/23. Superb packing arrived in pristine condition.

Kudos to the people who put this together, stellar job.
Let's hope for Lost Chord & Threshold maybe more?

As a long time member of SHF, I've learned to disregard any buying decision based on the consensus there.
The kicker for me was when the long reviled '87 Beatle CDs magically became superior to 2009 remasters.
Total bullshit revisionism. Very much akin to the upgrade obsessed audiophile who hears veils lifted with new power cords only in reverse.
Then there's the classic single anonymous reviewer who trashes something & some drone thanks them for saving them from the purchase
I go there for release news & not much else.

On to the positive. Ordered from JPC.DE for the 1st time due to the excellent price.
If your comfortable with no tracking, no updates & long delivery time they're great.
Reported shipped on 5/11 arrived 5/23. Superb packing arrived in pristine condition.

Kudos to the people who put this together, stellar job.
Let's hope for Lost Chord & Threshold maybe more?
We already got Lost Chord.

Never heard this album before…enjoying it so far…once again following the passion of fellow QQ’ers yields gold 🤩
I'd first heard it when I picked up the original SACD collection, but it eventually fell off my radar. Listening to it now (on streaming - couldn't afford the box AND upcoming releases) it really strikes me as a LARGE step forward for the Moodies in both production and music (Not a slam. I like On The Threshold Of A Dream quite a bit). If the BD becomes available alone, I'll be all over that.

Anybody hear the problem with Higher and Higher?
YES ME!!! it sounds like crap!! I can't believe no on here is screaming. Maybe it sounds great on the wave forms but my ears are not trained for that. I am requesting Amazon for a refund. This should be recalled and replaced for the money their charging. How does this get released!!

Anybody hear the problem with Higher and Higher?
YES ME!!! it sounds like crap!! I can't believe no on here is screaming. Maybe it sounds great on the wave forms but my ears are not trained for that. I am requesting Amazon for a refund. This should be recalled and replaced for the money they’re charging. How does this get released!!

I confess. The three Jersey boys…we have conspired on this matter. Listen carefully to the LFE. I only noticed it with the LFE isolated and on headphones. I don’t notice it on my sub-less main system.

Higher And Higher has always annoyed me for various reasons, (WARNING earworm approaching) which can also be why I don’t notice it.

Back