HiRez Poll Moorer, Allison - SHOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Allison Moorer - SHOW

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2003 release from Allison Moorer entitled "Show".
The album was recorded live at Nashville's 12th & Porter venue on January 4th, 2003.
The Multichannel layer of the SACD contains a 5.1 surround mix.

Allison Moorer SACD Front.jpg

Allison Moorer SACD Back.jpg

I stumbled across this disc in a used CD shop a few days ago, never having heard of it before, and figured something to the effect of “what the hell, it’s multichannel and it’s $6” (I’m sure other folks who’ve been in this hobby for a while have had similar experiences).

With this being a 5.1 mix of live material from the early-2000s, I was half-expecting brickwalled front channels and artificial reverb in the rears. Wrong on both counts! I kid you not, this may be one of the best-sounding 5.1 discs, live or studio, I’ve heard from this era. The sound quality is phenomenal, you can really crank it and it never gets fatiguing.

There’s no credit for the 5.1 mix on the album booklet or jewel case, but it reminds me a lot of what Elliot Scheiner did on The Eagles’ Hell Freezes Over. Lead vocals are almost completely isolated in the center speaker, with the rhythm section upfront and additional acoustic guitars, keys, pedal steel, etc mixed partially or entirely to the back.

Country isn't my favorite genre by any means, but there are enough songs that veer more towards rock to maintain my interest. The song “Yessiree” kinda reminded me of Hootie & The Blowfish.

There’s no credit for the 5.1 mix on the album booklet or jewel case, but it reminds me a lot of what Elliot Scheiner did on The Eagles’ Hell Freezes Over.

This also came out on DVD (as part of a CD + DVD set) and the engineer credited is Russ Long - the only other 5.1 credit I can find for him is a Paul Rodgers Live in Glasgow DVD/BluRay from 2007.

It looks like he's active on Twitter, maybe you can reach out to him and find out if he did anything else?

https://twitter.com/therealrusslong

Similar to the above posts I'm really enjoying this artist and this SACD release. Great songs - roots Americana country/rock songs and a very good surround mix. Although its a live album it serves as a kind of greatest hits from her previous albums up until this disc was released. Checking out AllMusic Moorer consistently gets high marks for her music. Did some searching and she and Shelby Lynne are sisters! They actually duet on three of the songs. How about that!

Last edited:
Similar to the above posts I'm really enjoying this artist and this SACD release. Great songs - roots Americana country/rock songs and a very good surround mix. Although its a live album it serves as a kind of greatest hits from her previous albums up until this disc was released. Checking out AllMusic Moorer consistently gets high marks for her music. Did some searching and she and Shelby Lynne are sisters! They actually duet on three of the songs. How about that!
I saw them both together in concert at the Phoenix Musical Instrument Museum about 5 years ago. A real treat

Wow I bought this CD+DVD years ago cheap off ebay. Never played the bloody thing. Obviously my bad . Will listen up this afters and stick up a review . Sounds like she deserves it.
Oh by the way after playing a few tracks on you tube just to acquaint myself ... Wow what a beautiful Woman !!!

Got this SACD years ago. I think it’s actually kinda rare. I don’t dislike it at all, but it’s not a flashy mix or audiophile sound for those who find that important. It’s a live album with an appropriately ungimmicky live surround mix.

Funny thing, I saw Allison Moorer maybe 20 years or so ago at a little place in Ann Arbor, MI (I was there for business) and at the time I thought she sort of looked and sounded like somebody else but I couldn’t put my finger on it. A few days later Shelby Lynne (who I really liked and had seen live) popped into my mind.

But I never even considered they were related since they had different names and Moorer was more “country” - and didn’t give it any more thought until I found out some time later they were half-sisters and I had an ah-ha moment…

Not only are they sisters, but they are bonded, as Shelby told us, as when they were young they witnessed their father shoot and kill himself in the driveway of their home. They have stayed together through the roughest times and been there for each other and so much of their songwriting stems from that early heartache.

I have the CD/DVD version. Terrific audio, with good live ambience of a club gig. Not quite in the 10 or 9 range though. I save those for the truly special ones. The video work is a bit dated. This one should be easily findable in your local used shop for well under a 10 spot.

Back