More Big Big Train surround in progress

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the posts I've read (from Greg), The Underfall Yard is due out next March, with a 5.1 mix, don't know what format(s) this will take, inc a triple vinyl set, I know they have re recorded some of the original tracks (maybe just the Title track, can't remember).
As ever hoping for the Tull/Marillion type package, though will pick up the Vinyl as well seeing as i have all their releases this way too.

Yippee, my copy from Deep Discount arrived today!

Half way through my first (of many) viewing/listen, but it’s clear this is simply superb. Overall fidelity is fantastic and instrumental clarity and separation is ridiculously good. The surround mix is very discrete and use of the surrounds is very supportive of the front soundstage without being repetitive or gimmicky. Video is excellent but the venue’s lighting system is fairly sedate, so don’t expect a colorful visual feast like the recent Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets Blu-ray release.

Kudos to @Neil Palfreyman for the informative and timely updates in addition to his fantastic ear!

Half way through my first (of many) viewing/listen, but it’s clear this is simply superb. Overall fidelity is fantastic and instrumental clarity and separation is ridiculously good. The surround mix is very discrete and use of the surrounds is very supportive of the front soundstage without being repetitive or gimmicky.

My copy arrived earlier today and I’d have to agree. This is shaping up to be my favorite of the three live releases with regards to mix, fidelity, and content. Throughout the performance, the rears are frequently engaged in fun and unexpected ways--I’m thinking of moments like the barking dog sound effects circling the room in “Hedgerow” or the radio-like vocals emanating from the rears in “Brave Captain”. The ending of “Hedgerow” with the different vocal parts spread all over the room is incredible!

From the posts I've read (from Greg), The Underfall Yard is due out next March, with a 5.1 mix, don't know what format(s) this will take, inc a triple vinyl set, I know they have re recorded some of the original tracks (maybe just the Title track, can't remember).

Disappointingly the latest Big Big Train newsletter announces the re-issue of The Underfall Yard for 9 April, in 2CD and 3LP formats, but makes no mention of a 5.1 mix :(

Disappointingly the latest Big Big Train newsletter announces the re-issue of The Underfall Yard for 9 April, in 2CD and 3LP formats, but makes no mention of a 5.1 mix :(
I saw that and was very disappointed. I doubt i'll be buying the new version just for stereo remix. I have not even been swayed by Steven Wilsons stereo only remix jobs

Last edited:
Wow, so disappointing. The 5.1 mix of this amazing album was what I was most looking forward to this year.

Neil, any chance you could shed any light on this? I would have assumed work had started on this already as it's been in the works for a few years now, or did it not even get off the ground?

Is there no way a crowd funder could be set-up to raise money for the mix and pressing? I'm surprised the band haven't done something like that already.

Is there no way a crowd funder could be set-up to raise money for the mix and pressing? I'm surprised the band haven't done something like that already.
The band actually do have an ongoing crowdfunding machine in the form of a fan club with dues.

Here's what the band had to say about the lack of 5.1:
Due to the pandemic, our finances have been depleted and we took the decision that we could not run to a 5.1 mix with all of the additional costs.
My suggestion to them was that if the additional costs were mainly related to physical release, they could do a 5.1 FLAC release instead.

I'm curious to know how far along it was (or if work was even started on it). I could understand abandoning it before work started if costs were already an issue after the stereo mix, but if it's part done then might as well try to fund the completion if possible.

While I prefer physical releases, I know it's far from cheap to author discs as you need licences to use DTS encoding and authoring to BDA spec for official release.

By doing a download only in lossless Flac I believe it would not cost the band anything other than bandwidth space and the costs to Rob for the actual mixing.

I'm watching the Empire blu-ray now. It was the last time I saw the band live.

RIP David, tremendous singer and songwriter. So sad.

Back