More channels = more problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The future is here, and it's shit!

Dropped thousands of dollars on new equipment, spent hours installing 4 ceiling speakers and running wire everywhere. Became even more acquainted with this "money pit" and discovered the section of wall that was rebuilt after the fire (what fire....dunno....but there's charred wood in the ceiling and attic, so there was at some point) was built like fort knox - fire blocks all over the place, filled with insulation, and all the horrible things to get in the way of running cable. Mind you, I'm not against fire blocks and insulation, but when 95 percent of the outer walls don't have it, that makes it rather useless, and just getting in the way. (insulating the place will be a future project, so at least I have a "head start" now)

So, hours later, time to pop in a disc and enjoy the fruits of my labor. And I discover......a PSfucking4 absolutely will not pass along ATMOS info!

Set it to dolby bitstreaming, but all the receiver sees is dolby true hd.

Great......so much for that plan.....

Googled - found people with the same problem, no resolution ever, and plenty of people that like to drive by and say PS4 doesn't support ATMOS, without explaining why it can't just fucking pass the info along to the receiver.

Whatever - I have a trusty old Oppo.

Which has chosen today to completely freeze up. First thought was, perhaps it doesn't like the Abbey Road bluray. (I refuse to update the firmware - they will take my iso playback from my cold dead hands)

But even after I take the disc out, unplug, plug back in, I get to a menu, and the only thing I can make the remote do is open and close the drawer, and even that eventually stops until I force it off or unplug it.

Way to go, Oppo.......I have tons of 70s equipment still going strong. My first Sony SACD player still works. But Oppos? Nope.......broken within 10 years. And now they don't even make them, making what stock is left go up in price. And those will all be dead in 10 years.

Well.....there's thousands of dollars and hours of work down the drain.

Fuck Atmos.

(yeah.....I'll probably just suck it up and buy another bluray player of some sort, so perhaps not all a waste. But damn, this sucks)

Last edited:
On the up side - working on wiring the house and such inspired me to pick up one of those Vibra 5 tape 8 track changers, to easily listen to 5 albums back to back while working on stuff around the house. Much better purchase than the Atmos system - it actually works, and is useful.

Man, I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this. Perhaps there’s a way to fix the Oppo. I don’t know. Sometimes it’s better to give it a rest and see how tomorrow might go. Anyway, sorry you’re dealing with these issues.

Thanks. I'm wondering if perhaps the Abbey Road disc did something to crash it that it's unable to recover from automatically, the firmware is a bit older than that disc. My next thought is a factory reset - but that requires getting to the menu to select it. I've not found an option to force a factory reset through a button combination or something like that. I suppose I'll be running out to best buy tomorrow to grab a modern bluray player.

Thanks. I'm wondering if perhaps the Abbey Road disc did something to crash it that it's unable to recover from automatically, the firmware is a bit older than that disc. My next thought is a factory reset - but that requires getting to the menu to select it. I've not found an option to force a factory reset through a button combination or something like that. I suppose I'll be running out to best buy tomorrow to grab a modern bluray player.

When the Oppo’s came out, I didn’t feel comfortable buying one because of the cost. I have one of those Sony X800 models that play commercial DVD-A, but still haven’t taken it out of the box. I think it plays MC flac.

I gotta say that Atmos is a bridge too far for me. I've been doing upgrades and more upgrades, picking up the more desirable surround discs. Selling items to fund more discs, upgraded speakers a week ago to the tune of $2,200, which was a lot considering that the old speakers were not trashed or giving me any problems. I just wanted a more "thereness" to the sound reproduction, and I got that.

So I now want to sit back and really enjoy some good sound and some great 4.0 and 5.1 releases. Just enjoy the music at its best. I hope that is not too much to ask for with only six speakers in my room?

Yeah, the Oppos are expensive, but I always figured I'd eventually buy one, so when I found out about the .iso playback going away, I bought one that day. I use that feature all the time - it's convenient to be able to throw a conversion I finished up on a usb drive to give it a test run without having to burn a disc. But spending over $500 for a used Oppo, when the new one I bought didn't last me 10 years? That's a tough pill to swallow. But I'm looking at $200 to grab something from best buy tomorrow that's guaranteed to work. Which I'll probably do.

When the Oppo’s came out, I didn’t feel comfortable buying one because of the cost. I have one of those Sony X800 models that play commercial DVD-A, but still haven’t taken it out of the box. I think it plays MC flac.
I would not be surprised if it did not. It's always something it doesn't do with Sony. Or it starts rejecting discs outright, yes Sony has that rep in forums all over the internet.

I bought my Oppos used, and got them before the closing of their retail audio division, prices were not bad. I'm very happy, I just hope that when and if it goes, it's the disc spinner and that the brain in it still processes inputs and outputs which is what I use it for mainly.

All of this stuff is potential problems X 5.1.

Last edited:
Speaking of things that do or don't play MC flac, the Marantz receiver will playback flac from usb or network, but only in stereo.

It's a dolby atmos receiver. It supports 5.1, 7.1, dts, dolby, a huge amount of surround formats.

But when they add in network playback - stereo only?

Even when designing surround receivers, some people just can't seem to get out of a stereo only mindset.

The future is here, and it's shit!

Dropped thousands of dollars on new equipment, spent hours installing 4 ceiling speakers and running wire everywhere. Became even more acquainted with this "money pit" and discovered the section of wall that was rebuilt after the fire (what fire....dunno....but there's charred wood in the ceiling and attic, so there was at some point) was built like fort knox - fire blocks all over the place, filled with insulation, and all the horrible things to get in the way of running cable. Mind you, I'm not against fire blocks and insulation, but when 95 percent of the outer walls don't have it, that makes it rather useless, and just getting in the way. (insulating the place will be a future project, so at least I have a "head start" now)

So, hours later, time to pop in a disc and enjoy the fruits of my labor. And I discover......a PSfucking4 absolutely will not pass along ATMOS info!

Set it to dolby bitstreaming, but all the receiver sees is dolby true hd.

Great......so much for that plan.....

Googled - found people with the same problem, no resolution ever, and plenty of people that like to drive by and say PS4 doesn't support ATMOS, without explaining why it can't just fucking pass the info along to the receiver.

Whatever - I have a trusty old Oppo.

Which has chosen today to completely freeze up. First thought was, perhaps it doesn't like the Abbey Road bluray. (I refuse to update the firmware - they will take my iso playback from my cold dead hands)

But even after I take the disc out, unplug, plug back in, I get to a menu, and the only thing I can make the remote do is open and close the drawer, and even that eventually stops until I force it off or unplug it.

Way to go, Oppo.......I have tons of 70s equipment still going strong. My first Sony SACD player still works. But Oppos? Nope.......broken within 10 years. And now they don't even make them, making what stock is left go up in price. And those will all be dead in 10 years.

Well.....there's thousands of dollars and hours of work down the drain.

Fuck Atmos.

(yeah.....I'll probably just suck it up and buy another bluray player of some sort, so perhaps not all a waste. But damn, this sucks)

Ouch. Gumption trap.

As far as I know, Oppo's service department is still in business out here in the South Bay, even if Oppo isn't. Give 'em a holler. (Just make sure they don't update your firmware!)

And yeah: in the meantime, get a cheap backup player from Best Buy. Once you hear Yello's Point you'll forget all your grief.

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

Last edited:
Ouch. Gumption trap.

As far as I know, Oppo's service department is still in business out here in the South Bay, even if Oppo isn't. Give 'em a holler. (Just make sure they don't update your firmware!)

And yeah: in the meantime, get a cheap backup player from Best Buy. Once you hear Yello's Point you'll forget all your grief.

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
That disc is on it's way here, looking forward to that.

Hang in there Jonathan. Most of us have been there, in similar situations, and it sucks for sure. Just don't let it get you down. It's all part of the grind of what we all do. Face it, we're all wackos! :)

A thought occurred to me - is it really a coincidence that it breaks the moment I connected it to something different? Is the universe that cruel?

Well, the universe is cruel all right, but coincidence? No.

Connected the Oppo directly to the TV - menus load, everything looks good.

Back to the marantz - freeze city.

My guess is a firmware update to the Oppo would resolve the issue. But as I said - from my cold, dead hands! I've raised a support request from marantz to at least find out their response to the matter - but I also have an order in for a new bluray player to pick up from best buy tomorrow. That solves things short term - Oppo will go back upstairs to the Denon where it belongs, and perhaps a newer Oppo will go in downstairs at a later date. I suppose I shouldn't wait too long on that, though.

Managed to find a bit more useful information about dolby atmos on a PS4. Turns out that sure, you can set dolby bitstream as the output option from the audio settings, but that doesn't mean it will actually do that. Silly me. I found a page that walked through setting things by pressing the options button on the PS4 controller while playing a bluray. Sure enough - in there it was still set to PCM, so it was outputting a PCM 5.1 downmix of the atmos. I was able to set that to bitstream (direct), and now my receiver sees the dolby atmos, and is using all the speakers. The wife is sleeping, and one person's ceiling speakers are another's floor speakers - so cranking it will have to wait for tomorrow.

The number of hoops one has to jump through just to get this stuff to work though.....ugh......future is not looking good for Atmos. Probably will be a smaller spot on my shelf for those discs than any other format.

A word to the wise: If you are going to dive into the black hole of perpetually changing modern tech with HDMI 2627.324, various output streams, ceilings full of speakers and associated wires, then be prepared to put the time into it. (Or hire one of your tech-pre-wired grandkids.) Personally, I've reached the end of the rainbow and I'm sticking with the Oppo 205 and Surround Master outputting 5.1 analog to my processor's analog inputs. But much thanks to those of you like @ArmyOfQuad who have chosen to fight the never ending high-tech battles.

Atmos upgrade was pretty easy , 4k tv, new receiver, xbox 1, atmos up firing speakers, biggest deal was we had not that long ago ( 3-5 years) upgraded to 3D so out with 3D , wish I had bought a 4k 3D tv but they were quite pricey

Back