More channels = more problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not just the gear. It's the sparsity of musical material along with the release of top acts with an Atmos mix included only as part of pricey box sets. Yes, I bought Abbey Road and the Lennon set, but nothing else out there has interested me. Meanwhile, we've got the DV quad and Rhino Quadio releases that are excellent value.

For music, not movies - agreed. It's out there but apparently the type of music available isn't of interest to many of you. I don't have that problem :) The only genres that don't interest me are urban, typical pop & C&W. Jazz, fusion, classic rock, prog rock, electronic, world, classical, some forms of new age....all I like and can easily be interested in Atmos mixes of them. My list is therefore bigger than yours ;) To each his own.

Giles Martin may be working on another Beatles album - Let It Be? Revolver? In any case, if he is, there's that!

Yes, Yes, Yes. That music was made for technology like this. I cant believe the Floyd Boys havent yet tried to re-release (again) DSOTM in Atmos... dosent a theatrical track already exist? I have great hope for Steven Wilson. But he cant do it alone.

Dosent that Trinnov have a lot of upgrade capability? I wonder about this issue with respect to the gear. You can buy several models of Pre/Pros that claim to provide a viable upgrade path. The one in my price bracket is an Emotiva RMC-1. I marvel at the fact that It has expansion bays so, among other things, you can expand the number of channels in the future, if desired, I mean it already does 16 channels out of the box.... expand to what? 24? 32????? Mind boggeling 🤔

Yes it does. Being PC based, it's based on software not dsp chips so the company rolls out free updates when they've got something new. Next to my speakers, it's the best audio gear I've ever purchased.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the Emotiva RMC-1! It's been buggy as hell, lack of promised Dirac and other features for several years since its release, maybe still. Emotiva RMC1 would be the last prepro I'd look at. I can't elaborate today, no time, but if you are interested we can take it offline. A Marantz 8805 would be a better, stable platform.

The Emo looks on paper to be upgradeable but do you trust the company with its track record to have those modules? And it's still dsp based so just as limited as D&M and others for upgradeability. Trinnov OTOH will be offering HDMI 2.1 boards when they become available. No other processor company has the long term support for owners that they do.

Last edited:
I believe someone here at the QQ could maintain a better list. It would also be good exposure for QQ in general- (like some younger folks realizing - What!!! you can actually get music in 4 discrete channels:SB)

My kids really enjoy the home theater experience and the greatly expanded soundstage Atmos brought to my system. It did, however, make me realize something when my daughter said " you spend three hours to get the sound right on a one and a half hour movie". The truth is I like the process more then the actual result.

Or is it that it takes that long just to get it to work .. work .. work .. ?

Last edited:
The one on the right was on the left, and the one on the left was in the middle, and the one in the middle was on the right, and the one in the rear said "Oh! Dear!"

What we have are too many formats, too many ways to store and transmit them, too much expensive equipment, and too many speaker configurations.

I am sticking to analog and Pro-Logic. And I am buying records, CDs, and DVDs.

The one on the right was on the left, and the one on the left was in the middle, and the one in the middle was on the right, and the one in the rear said "Oh! Dear!"

What we have are too many formats, too many ways to store and transmit them, too much expensive equipment, and too many speaker configurations.

I am sticking to analog and Pro-Logic. And I am buying records, CDs, and DVDs.
Glad to see you're OK MM, and have had a big bowl of Oats to boot :p :LOL:

All us multich guys have been living on the bleeding edge since the first Hafler boxes we had to build our-selfs.
Quit all the gripeing, get on a latter or crawl in the attic and run the wires for 4 more speakers.
Suffer thru the learning curve of the software, hardware, and the rest.
Then enjoy some beautiful immersive music that none of the rest have. :SB

Can I offer y'all a little cheese with your whine? :p

Update on the Oppo BDP-93 - I got it to work with the marantz receiver without locking up, and it will pass Atmos content. I think someone mentioned in this thread that it wouldnt' support Atmos - that didn't make sense to be since it's just passing along the data for the receiver to decode, but I also don't know all the details about these things.

What I did to get the player and receiver to play nice with each other was use the secondary hdmi output - figuring maybe it was a problem with the TV, receiver ,and player all playing nicely. So I turned on the secondary hdmi output for audio, connected both - and sure enough, there are no problems. At some point I was playing around without switching the TV input over, and both video and audio come out the secondary, and still ,no problems. So I disconnected the hdmi cable from the TV since I can always use a spare. And things continued to work. So, it seems for some reason, using the 2nd hdmi out works without problem, and will still send both video and audio out the one output.

I'm sure I'll find more ways to break this though - but for now it's working.

Now to figure out how to synchronize 4 turntables to a DVD player......but that's another story......

^^

AoQ

https://www.audioholics.com/news/dolby-atmos-old-blu-ray-players
Please note this:

"In speaking with our friends at OPPO, we’ve been told that although users reported success in playing Atmos with their older BDP-8x and BDP-9x series, these players aren’t guaranteed to perform flawlessly. Only the current BDP-10x series are guaranteed to fully support Seamless Branching and Atmos. The older players conformed to the then-current specifications when these models were released, but technologies have moved on."

You got lucky. It may not work for all Atmos tracks. Enjoy what you can with it!

Some aren't so lucky as you'll read:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/oppo-93-95-and-dolby-atmos.2095850/
Officially from Oppo, only their BDP-10x and 20x players supported Atmos. For Atmos, the player should support seamless branching and the 93/95 do not, hence they are NOT guaranteed to work. But if they do, it may be for some but not all Atmos tracks, depending on if seamless branching was used or not.

BTW - I used to own the 93 and currently use a 105D, 203 & 205. At the time I got into Atmos, I called Oppo tech support since I had a 93 and was told by them about non-support of seamless branching which many Atmos tracks used in the metadata; playback was NOT quaranteed to work in every case. Which is why I sold it, and moved to the 203 & 205 that I needed anyway for 4K discs.

So I didn't steer you wrong...the content you have played on it must not use seamless branching. The result would likely be audio dropouts, stops or glitches if seamless branching was used.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a BDA that requires ‘seemless branching’. There are some movies using this to encode different versions on the same disc (e.g. adding in deleted scenes), but music is linear.

Sigh. Toe in the water with a 5.1.2 setup and plans to make the main system ATMOS in a year. I love Oppo BDP-93 players and have observed: $200 used on eBay comes around, OPPO will still refurb players and the one I got back was in a new case to boot! I play FLACs through it but not ISOs so not sure which firmware it came back with.

As for the Marantz AVR only playing FLACs as stereo - could this be more about quad 4.0 files needing phantom C & LFE to be recognized properly? #chipset blues

EDIT: Houses of the Holy 8 track is RCOA! Record Club of America for you youngsters.....
So having just acquired a 93 and have not even plugged it in yet am I to assumed it will not play ISO files from an external HD or Flac files depending on the firmware and how does one find which firmware the player has. I'm starting to get that I didn't do enough research feeling.

Reactions: GOS
So having just acquired a 93 and have not even plugged it in yet am I to assumed it will not play ISO files from an external HD or Flac files depending on the firmware and how does one find which firmware the player has. I'm starting to get that I didn't do enough research feeling.
When you hook it up and go to the settings menu, you can see what the firmware version is. Then, you probably can check at OppoDigital about the firmware or just Google about Oppo and ISO.
Or you can just try it.

Update on the Oppo BDP-93 - I got it to work with the marantz receiver without locking up, and it will pass Atmos content. I think someone mentioned in this thread that it wouldnt' support Atmos - that didn't make sense to be since it's just passing along the data for the receiver to decode, but I also don't know all the details about these things.

What I did to get the player and receiver to play nice with each other was use the secondary hdmi output - figuring maybe it was a problem with the TV, receiver ,and player all playing nicely. So I turned on the secondary hdmi output for audio, connected both - and sure enough, there are no problems. At some point I was playing around without switching the TV input over, and both video and audio come out the secondary, and still ,no problems. So I disconnected the hdmi cable from the TV since I can always use a spare. And things continued to work. So, it seems for some reason, using the 2nd hdmi out works without problem, and will still send both video and audio out the one output.

Can you explain how you got the player and receiver to communicate? I'm having what I think is a similar problem with my Oppo 103-D and (old) Denon AVR-1610. I can't figure out which settings to use--there are just too many. If this is too off-topic, I'd be happy to hear via PM.

Thanks very much in advance.

Can you explain how you got the player and receiver to communicate? I'm having what I think is a similar problem with my Oppo 103-D and (old) Denon AVR-1610. I can't figure out which settings to use--there are just too many. If this is too off-topic, I'd be happy to hear via PM.

Thanks very much in advance.
If you're having the problem with the player locking up and not doing anything, I just switched the hdmi cable over to the 2nd hdmi output, and left nothing connected to the first. I did run into some blu-rays that wouldn't do atmos with the bdp-93, so I ended up tracking down a 103, which has allowed me to rip my own SACDs now, and have a player for each system. The 103 has no problems with the marantz receiver, although it did come with a remote control that does nothing, so now I need to track down a replacement. Ah well.

The 103 has no problems with the marantz receiver, although it did come with a remote control that does nothing, so now I need to track down a replacement. Ah well.

Totally dead? Never ever had a simple IR remote die on me. If the backlight's working but the player's not responding, try changing the remote code switch in the battery compartment.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I had one remote die on me I'll never forget. Growing up, we had a VCR that was programmed to record All My Children every Monday thru Friday - you could setup a weekly program like that. One day, the VCR stopped responding to the remote. I remember I opened it up and tinkered around a bit - I think I found a loose solder joint on the thing that transmits the signal. Actually had it working again for a bit, but the repair didn't hold, and my soldering skills have never been good. We bought a universal remote - but no menu options. Which was fine until the clocks changed an hour.

I remember as the months passed, thinking, oh boy, in a few weeks the clocks will go back, and we can start recording again and see what we missed. And then the power went out, resetting the clock and recording program, and making the VCR forever blink 12 o clock, 12 o clock, 12 o clock...

Arrrrgggghhh....

And that's how my mom and I kicked our All My Children addiction.

Back