More Gentle Giant in 5.1 coming - Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Plan9

500 Club - QQ All-Star
And I could be wrong, too, but I am quite certain the multis weren't available, as it's been three years since Three Piece Suite was released, and nothing until last year's mega box. They released PatG in 2014, Octopus in 2015, then nothing (as I believe they were looking for other multis) until the incomplete compilation, Three Piece Suite In 2017. My understanding is that compilation happened because original multis for the first three albums were unavailable.

So, and again I could be wrong, I believe that the multis have surfaced since then...either way, its GREAT news!
The multis were available, to my knowledge, for these albums (at least the vast majority of them); Dan Bornemark even had the complete multis for The Missing Piece.
It took some time because they wanted to remix and release the more popular albums first.

Last edited:

Plan9

500 Club - QQ All-Star
While we're making preemtive requests, I vaguely recall reading that the Quad mix of Free Hand available on DVD had rear channels swapped or some other channel assignment issue- does this ring a bell with others? If so maybe it can be corrected if included with the 5.1 remixes. I want to speak to the manager.

Yes, more info about the problem here: Gentle Giant - Free Hand - to swap or not to swap? and here: DVD/DTS Poll - Gentle Giant - Free Hand [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

5.1 4 Life

While we're making preemtive requests, I vaguely recall reading that the Quad mix of Free Hand available on DVD had rear channels swapped or some other channel assignment issue- does this ring a bell with others? If so maybe it can be corrected if included with the 5.1 remixes. I want to speak to the manager.
It sure does ring a bell with me. I have the CD/DVD release of Free Hand and I remember the discussions for it on this forum (as well as the 'switched rear channels'). I'm sure that SW's new 5.1 mix of the album will eliminate that problem.

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
How do so many of you have so much inside information? Who the hell are all you people??? :bowing:
Just keep it comin', is all I can say.

Let's see...we've got The Beatles Let It Be to look forward to, plus Gentle Giant, and now the Doobies Quadio. And the prospect, at least, of lots of streaming Atmos tracks & albums--once Tidal (and, hopefully, other players) get their act together. The world may be going to hell, but surround-wise, it's a very good year.

JediJoker

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Here’s hoping they’ll include better masterings of the old quad mixes as well.
With the correct channel assignments. 🤞
I want to speak to the manager.
OK, Karen. 🤣
While usually provided in higher res (so there'll likely be some improvement), previous mixes (stereo and otherwise) that Steven includes are usually flat-transfers of the original masters.
A flat transfer would be a HUGE improvement on what Peter Mew did to the quads.