More Guess Who in Multichannel SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have earlier versions of The Guess Who's American Woman on CD and LP.
Listened to it with a big Guess Who fan here. We both found the Audio Fidelity Surround SACD blew away the earlier editions by a wide margin.

There's an acoustic intro to American Woman on the SBM 24K Gold CD that, IMO, adds a brilliant touch to American Woman which is absent from the AF QUAD SACD. In NO way, Brian, am I intimating that the AF QUAD is lacking sonically but perhaps it was an alternate version on the GOLD which sounds extremely 'audiophile' via the Meridian Reference player. In fact, on the Gold RBCD, there's a pause between this acoustic intro and the actual American Woman track which I suspect had to be an alternate version. The Gold Guess Who disc was licensed from BMG Belgium.

Perhaps Brian, being a Guess Who junkie, you've heard this version before? It's VERY COOL! :)

The acoustic intro to American Woman was never on the Greatest Hits album in any version, stereo, quad, LP, tape, etc. It IS on the American Woman album, and the American Woman Q8. However, on that Q8, the intro is pretty much mono.

AF used the GH quad master for their SACD (obviously), thus no acoustic intro.

Here's an old thing:

Guess Who Q8.jpg

The acoustic intro to American Woman was never on the Greatest Hits album in any version, stereo, quad, LP, tape, etc. It IS on the American Woman album, and the American Woman Q8. However, on that Q8, the intro is pretty much mono.

AF used the GH quad master for their SACD (obviously), thus no acoustic intro.

Here's an old thing:

View attachment 30522

Jon, thanks for the clarification. I know I wasn't imagining that very cool acoustic intro.

Jon, thanks for the clarification. I know I wasn't imagining that very cool acoustic intro.

No problem. I always liked that intro as well. It's a shame they didn't add it to the GH release, but they were probably worried about total time. I think at one point I made my own GH DVD-A with the intro spliced in from the AW Q8. I am sure others have done the same.

No problem. I always liked that intro as well. It's a shame they didn't add it to the GH release, but they were probably worried about total time.
I think it's more likely that as it was a "hits" compilation, they used the "hit" version, i.e. the single version, which omitted the intro.

We'll see if The Guess Who is among the artists/albums that Dutton Vocalion has planned for reissue on Surround SACD in the months ahead.
Would be interesting.

Any chance of a quad version of BTO's eponymous album?

That's my BTO fav, including my all-time favorite song bar none, Blue Collar.

Which is why I relish the DTS 5.1 version of BTO's Not Fragile* and I just placed an order from Amazon for the two disc GOLD best of edition [$8 + tx, brand new]. http://www.allmusic.com/album/gold-2-cd-mw0000181101

*https://www.amazon.com/Not-Fragile-Bachman-Turner-Overdrive/dp/B000007R12

I may be in the minority, but I wish D~V would release the RCA Original Cast Recording of Hair as a QUAD SACD. The Age of Aquarius! https://www.bing.com/images/search?...of+hair+quadradisc+photo&mode=overlay&first=1

No problem. I always liked that intro as well. It's a shame they didn't add it to the GH release, but they were probably worried about total time. I think at one point I made my own GH DVD-A with the intro spliced in from the AW Q8. I am sure others have done the same.
I think personally think that "Greatest Hits" should always be the single versions, even though oftentimes the longer album version is cooler. If the consideration was total time they could of knocked off "New Mother Nature", the hit was only "No Sugar Tonight". I understand that it's Burton Cummings that has insisted that the two songs always be run together (Burton wrote N.M.N. while Randy Bachman wrote No Sugar).
Considering that the title is "Best of" they could of, perhaps should of used album tracks all the way through. If I was doing the compilation lesser hits such as "When Friends Fall Out" and "Proper Stranger" would of also been included. As well the earlier and longer version of "No Time", it's much cooler than the hit version from "American Woman".
It's nice to make your own compilations, I haven't really done that in awhile, nice to listen to in the car with no filler!

I think personally think that "Greatest Hits" should always be the single versions, even though oftentimes the longer album version is cooler. If the consideration was total time they could of knocked off "New Mother Nature", the hit was only "No Sugar Tonight". I understand that it's Burton Cummings that has insisted that the two songs always be run together (Burton wrote N.M.N. while Randy Bachman wrote No Sugar).
Considering that the title is "Best of" they could of, perhaps should of used album tracks all the way through. If I was doing the compilation lesser hits such as "When Friends Fall Out" and "Proper Stranger" would of also been included. As well the earlier and longer version of "No Time", it's much cooler than the hit version from "American Woman".
It's nice to make your own compilations, I haven't really done that in awhile, nice to listen to in the car with no filler!

Totally agreed...I would have swapped "Bus Rider" and "Hang On To Your Life" with "Proper Stranger" and "When Friends Fall Out". On the DTS conversion I made I added Q8 rips of those two tracks. The crazy panning in "When Friends Fall Out" is lots of fun.

We'll see if The Guess Who is among the artists/albums that Dutton Vocalion has planned for reissue on Surround SACD in the months ahead.
Would be interesting.

Mid-line albums, no real restrictions from band/artist so far as quad, and label has already issued most all of the material. Which means even a Guess Who two-fer is not too far out a fantasy. Best of Vol. 2, and then a two-fer with #10 and Road Food would be my picks. I'm keeping in mind that the three best tracks on Artificial Paradise are on Best of 2 (iirc).

I know this news was already posted in another thread, but for those of you who specifically wanted more Guess Who titles on Quadraphonic SACD, your wishes have now come true: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8538

:)

I ordered the Rick Derringer disk ... but being a Canadian of a certain age, I have heard 'Clap for the Wolfman' FAR too many times compliments of CANCON rules.

I had the CD-4 LPs of both Guess Who albums, and sold them a while back. It was kinda tempting, but I already have enough disks that I will never play.

(Burton wrote N.M.N. while Randy Bachman wrote No Sugar)

I had just turned 20 the Summer Mr. B was doing his "Story Tellers" tour. My buddy was working security the night of the concert, so I got to go backstage for 5 minutes after the concert and got to meet Mr. B and shake his hand. Stupid me didn't think I was going to meet him so I never took anything for him to sign.

The next night, a friend and I went to a small, local pub that had a Wing Night and we usually hung out and played pool. We'd just sat down and I looked over at the billiard area and my jaw dropped. Mr. B was there shooting pool with a couple of the guys from the band. To this day, I still have no idea how I summoned up the courage to walk over and say hello, but I did and he even recognized me from the night before. Because I'm such a dork and know a few things (like, he doesn't drink alcohol) I asked "Can I buy you a pop?" That was enough to get a laugh and a smile and we were asked if my friend and I wanted to join them.

What a night. I was trying my best NOT to be annoying (which, believe me - that's a switch for me!) but I was asking questions and Mr. B was being wonderfully entertaining telling stories, and jokes about the old days. The joke was on everybody else as NOBODY recognized him; a fact that Mr. B acknowledged was one of the things he loved about touring the smaller towns: if he wasn't on stage, unless you knew his face, he blended into the crowd.

Long story short, one of the tales he told that night was how he wrote "No Sugar Tonight".

(Stupid me again though - we'd taken my friends' car that night. Had we taken my Hornet, one of the BTO Q8's would have most certainly been in the car!)

Part two of the story is a hilarious episode of serendipity. Fast forward to (I'm going to guess) 2007 or 2008. I'd moved to Vancouver, but often came home to check on my mom. I had my Tiburon by this point. I'm somewhere between Kelowna, BC and Rock Creek (which is beautiful downtown nowhere). It's late by this point, it's dark, I'm tired and I'm bored with the few CD's I'd brought for the drive. So I turn on the radio. Because we're in the middle of nowhere, all I can get is the CBC. Since it's late.... what should happen to be on?? Randy's Vinyl Tap.... and it's a special night: He's re-telling the story of the Guess Who. :eek:

Righteous.

So I listen as he tells the tales of woe in regards to Quality Records fleecing them; being trapped in England with no money playing bars that didn't pay them; coming home broke and disheartened. Then, we got to the good stuff: Let's Go on the CBC, meeting Jack Richardson; Jack mortgaging his own house to pay for the Wheatfield Soul sessions..... These Eyes climbing the charts, Undun climbing the charts, Laughing climbing the charts, No Time, American Woman and on into how and why No Sugar Tonight and New Mother Nature even exists.

And then, he starts retelling the story of how he wrote No Sugar Tonight!!!! :love:

I guess I was tired, and yeah, I'm an excitable sort but as he's retelling the story over the radio it transported me back to being a snotty-nosed 20-year old sitting on a bar stool, cue stick in hand listening intently to (what I would say) is one of Canada's Greatest Entertainers telling this story. It seems stupid now that I think about it but it felt like he was talking through the radio directly to me - like he knew I was listening.

Two instances I don't think I will ever forget. Great memories of some really good times.

Of course, there was the time I (sort of) met Michael Buble in an elevator and I asked "Who the hell are you?" :ROFLMAO:

Back