More Guess Who in Multichannel SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: (I don't think any Quads of "So Long Bannatyne", "Live At The Paramount" or "Flavours" were released"

I've got to stop posting late a night, I wasn't thinking, "Flavours" was released as Quad, I had meant to say "Artificial Paradise".

Artificial Paradise was done, but it's sounds awfully fake with the echo/delay just poured on.

Jack Richardson told me in letters years ago that Bannatyne and Paramount were done, but were both vetoed due to being too long for the Q8 format.
I guess that means they couldn't have been LP-only releases because they pre-date CD-4? And a reel-only release seems silly. I'm sure RCA had their reasons but damn, I love Bannatyne and Live/Paramount is a wonderful snapshot of the Guess Who Live! in the early 70's.

Artificial Paradise was done, but it's sounds awfully fake with the echo/delay just poured on.

Jack Richardson told me in letters years ago that Bannatyne and Paramount were done, but were both vetoed due to being too long for the Q8 format.
I guess that means they couldn't have been LP-only releases because they pre-date CD-4? And a reel-only release seems silly. I'm sure RCA had their reasons but damn, I love Bannatyne and Live/Paramount is a wonderful snapshot of the Guess Who Live! in the early 70's.

Email Dutton Vocalion and make them aware that these two Guess Who titles were remixed into QUAD but NEVER commercially released. What a coup to have these released even as single QUAD SACDs.

Last edited:
Are the Artificial Paradise tracks as they appear on Best of Vol 2 also echoey fake, or did those get fresh quad mixes for that comp?

Are the Artificial Paradise tracks as they appear on Best of Vol 2 also echoey fake, or did those get fresh quad mixes for that comp?

Best Of Vol 2's fresh mixes, I think? I first noticed differences on stuff like Glamour Boy which is a different edit from the #10 Quad version and also a different mix on Best Of Vol 2 CD-4 iirc.?

Yes, I just checked the "Bible" (Quad Incorporated) it was released on Q8. Somehow I had a false memory of selling off a CD4 copy as I didn't care for it , but that must have been "Flavours". Anyway I would take any Dutton release, even if not on a 2-fer!!

Best Of Vol 2's fresh mixes, I think? I first noticed differences on stuff like Glamour Boy which is a different edit from the #10 Quad version and also a different mix on Best Of Vol 2 CD-4 iirc.?

That's probably the best thing about all the Guess Who Quad albums. On the proper albums, we get the full-length version. On the two "Best Ofs" we get the single versions to a certain extent.

We really need The Best of the Guess Who Vol.2 in quad high-res. A ton of great songs, really great sound, and it's controlled by a company that is willing to talk.

Ok, so the cost is enough that no two-fer is in the cards, I'm sure of that. But it's another one sticking out like a sore thumb. With AF already issued Vol. 1 in quad it's like no duh!!!

It would have been great as a two-fer with "Flavors" because Flavors has two hits that came after Best of 2. It would be one disc that wraps up all of the hits remaining from the group. The Best of 2 covers the hit from #10, and the better well known tracks from Artificial Paradise as well.

Anyway, I'll take the hit set anyway I can get it in quad. Seems it is oop in the states on CD. There is a newer hits collection on a single disc that has taken its place.

It would have been great as a two-fer with "Flavors" because Flavors has two hits that came after Best of 2. It would be one disc that wraps up all of the hits remaining from the group. The Best of 2 covers the hit from #10, and the better well known tracks from Artificial Paradise as well.

Anyway, I'll take the hit set anyway I can get it in quad. Seems it is oop in the states on CD. There is a newer hits collection on a single disc that has taken its place.

it would be great to lump in "Flavors" with something else, that way it might quosh too many complaints by having one great mix (BOGWV2) in a 2-fer bundled in with a lesser one?

that said, "Power In The Music" is said not to be worthwhile Quad either (I've not heard it, just what I've heard said about it), so what would one bundle in with that one in a 2-fer?

in other words, how many good Guess Who Quad mixes are there left for DV to remaster and release? "Rockin'" maybe..? I remember kinda enjoying the Q8 of that.

Vol. 2 cannot be a two-fer in reality. It's going to not be cheap to license, and full price is the only way if that. I was just imaging how well it would have gone with Flavors. But now that I think more clearly, I should have said Road Food. Road Food has the two additional hits.

That would have been a knock out hit(s) collection.

Last edited:
Back