Steven Wilson More Hawkwind!!! (Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received this box set in yesterdays mail, and ripping now, I am unfamiliar with these albums, so definitely will be reading the liner notes.
I will start with ripping CD's for storage and then when I rip the Blu rays they will be used for my listening.
Going to pop in blu ray 1 now into the player while I rip the CD's.

I listened real hard to the change between Track 4 Quark, Strangeness & Charm to the Penteo Track 5 HassanI Sahba.
Upon the listen it wasn't that bad, I surely would not have noticed, but when Track 6 Penteo The Forge Of Vulcan played I actually thought it sounded great, then back to original 5.1 tape mix The Days Of The Underground, I could hear a softer more even sound.

All placebo? I am glad Jonathan made us aware of these Penteo Upmix tracks, but honestly I prefer the way they did it fitting into there proper Track slot, rather than make a big deal out of nothing really.
This gives hope that future releases, if the tapes are lost/damaged that there can be a professional upmix.
BTW, the Marc Bolan video is cool.

Still a ways to go before a review, but a short hand review would be contents, how it is all packaged, lots of music, some (3) videos, menu, etc would certainly be a 10 for the money.
This era of Hawkwind, 1977-1979, absolutely ties there 1975 Warrior On The Edge Of Time release to what I call this music Prog Rock with a heavy dose of Punk.
Not sure my cup of tea, but still listening and experiencing.
Much different from my other surround disc that I really like Warrior On The EDge Of Time.

As is:
Screenshot_2023-06-14-19-30-13-24_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Last edited:
What's on the bluray for Space Ritual?

At this rate Im never going to be able to retire if I want to buy these.........
I just gave blood at Red Cross yesterday, perhaps I should be selling it for Quad and surround releases.

So how many wheelchairs does it take to fill the Albert Hall?

I have all HW's studio albums up until 1980 but I must admit I've never got into Space Ritual. However, I would love a 5.1 mix to help me appreciate it.

I'm guessing the 10 CDs would be all the recordings they made from the tour, so a lot of v similar material which I would never listen to. The BD, though: I doubt there is much footage and Cherry Red do seem to favour DVDs still, only going for hi res (DVDA/ BD) when they have a 5.1 mix. So I have some hope that there is a 5.1 mix. Or maybe even Atmos, hence BD and not DTS DVD. I'm getting carried away a bit here, but surely they wouldn't create a BD just to store a 5 min silent 16mm clip or whatever footage there might be of Space Ritual? (Or is there more? Surely it would have been released many times by now by dozens of HW's previous record companies.)

Back