More stealth quad albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried looking for this info in the forums, but I can't seem to find it. Is there a place where there is a list of "stealth" quads?

You should be able to find many In amongst the quad matrix threads, through a variety of disclosures .Some of which are proven and others rumoured or suspect .
Apart from that, there are a large number in the Quadraphonic Discography and the supplemental threads.
Most of the Lion's Share can be found there.

Fizzy :)

Last edited:
I'm back! Somehow QQ thought my email had permanently died (it was down for two days due to a weather-caused power failure). I could not find anyone to contact without logging in (which was not allowed).

ABBA records were put through the Haeco processor, as most Atlantic records were then. This makes center front stuff come from the back channels in SQ. The Tijuana Brass albums also went through that process, as did some Neil Diamond albums on Uni. The Haeco CSG logo is on the label in many cases.

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. I have had a German copy of Mike Oldfield’s Boxed for many years (vinyl). The only reference to Quad is in the booklet; LPs are marked Stereo. Playback in SQ yields only ambiance in the rears. I concluded that these records were not SQ encoded. I very recently obtained a UK vinyl release marked “Stereo/SQ Compatible”. These also yielded the same results in SQ. Sounds like the same mix but the mastering was different. The German copy used some compression. QS decoding actually was better but with something suggesting separation. I’m going to try some of the other matrix coefficients to see if I can get better results. BTW, my A/B testing was limited to Ommadawn and the Collaboration discs.

Does anyone know for sure what encoding was used on this release?

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. I have had a German copy of Mike Oldfield’s Boxed for many years (vinyl). The only reference to Quad is in the booklet; LPs are marked Stereo. Playback in SQ yields only ambiance in the rears. I concluded that these records were not SQ encoded. I very recently obtained a UK vinyl release marked “Stereo/SQ Compatible”. These also yielded the same results in SQ. Sounds like the same mix but the mastering was different. The German copy used some compression. QS decoding actually was better but with something suggesting separation. I’m going to try some of the other matrix coefficients to see if I can get better results. BTW, my A/B testing was limited to Ommadawn and the Collaboration discs.

Does anyone know for sure what encoding was used on this release?
I've had Boxed since it was released on the 4 LPs, it is encoded in SQ, I haven't played it through the Involve SM2 yet, and the last time I listened to it in Quad was circa 1977 as a student through my home made SQ decoder! I can't remember how well they sound in surround. Mike Oldfield's "Exposed" live double LP is also in SQ and decodes well through the SM2. So the Ommadawn LP in my 1975 UK Boxed has Stereo/SQ Quad on the label, yours should look the same, see below
Boxed-Ommadawn SQ on label.jpg

Thanks, Duncan. My label is exactly the same. Just doesn't cut it as an SQ decode. I'm going to play around with some other matrices to see if they work. QS actually sounded marginally better. Just tried Matrix H - no improvement. I do appreciate your response. Thanks again.

Blaine

My proof is what comes out of the decoders.

I know about phase relationships causing accidental RM/SQ/EV/Dyna back channel information, but SQ back modulations, H back modulations, and UMX front and back modulations don't happen by chance very often.

The SQ left back and UMX center front are 90 degree shifts with the left channel leading the right channel (clockwise).
The SQ right back, H center back, and UMX center back are all 90 degree shifts with the right channel leading the left channel (anticlockwise).

These do not often occur by accident. And when they do happen by accident, they happen at certain frequencies, but not others. Since the parts stay in the same locations with different notes, it indicates that someone put these modulations into those recordings on purpose.

The musical arrangement also gives me clues.

I found all six fundamental SQ modulations on most of my Vangelis albums. The early ones do not have this. "Heaven and Hell" is striking in SQ, with different parts in the different positions. But there are no primary parts at center back, just reverb and pads. I even checked it with my oscilloscope to make sure. There are circular patterns visible that do not happen with ordinary stereo recordings. The same effect is in "Chariots of Fire" and "Opera Sauvage ".

- The synthesizer used in the Vangelis recordings might output quadrature signals from the oscillators for some reason.

Try listening to the movie soundtrack albums through decoders, rather than demanding proof from some documented source. The ones that are all music by one group of musicians probably have separate mixes done by the group. But the ones that contain cuts of dialog or action from the film have Dolby Surround, at least on those cuts.

I'm going to give this recommended "stealth quad" of Vangelis a good spin in SQ.

*CD of Opera Sauvage

Attachments

• 20210422_185329.jpg
    20210422_185329.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210422_185344.jpg
    20210422_185344.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 88
I've had Boxed since it was released on the 4 LPs, it is encoded in SQ, I haven't played it through the Involve SM2 yet, and the last time I listened to it in Quad was circa 1977 as a student through my home made SQ decoder! I can't remember how well they sound in surround. Mike Oldfield's "Exposed" live double LP is also in SQ and decodes well through the SM2. So the Ommadawn LP in my 1975 UK Boxed has Stereo/SQ Quad on the label, yours should look the same, see below
View attachment 64817
I have "Boxed" on LP and CD. Despite the claim in the booklet that the CD's are not quad, they are. I've listened to them through the SMv.2, SQ mode, and they sound quite excellent.

@fizzywiggs41 I did get this Manfredo Fest LP in awhile ago and decoded via SMv2 in 4.0 Involve mode; I'm 98% convinced (along with a few other folks here) that it is a QS encoded Stealth recording.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...fest-after-hours-1972-daybreak-records.29487/

I think that's the lp that Steelydave mentioned may or may not be Quad matrix, in the thread "Is This The Real McCoy".

Sounds good does it.

Well I have another one mixed by someone ( maybe Tom Jung ?) at Sound 80 MPLS , that was mixed in quad.
According to the article in Billboard , July 12th 1975 page 34.
,* Herb Pilhofer -Music That Works II *,

FWIW Herb Pilhofer and Tom Jung co-founded Sound 80 Studios in Minneapolis. And Herb was a Jazz musician.

And one of the largest Quad Stealth supplies of quad QS albums comes courtesy the Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby team.

Check out all the quad QS cds and lps on the Horizon/A&M Records . You can find it (the Ed Michel link) on Mark Anderson's thread dedicated to" Sun Ra , Magic City " Thread.
And not just on Horizon but other labels as well.
Most informative , I think.

And one of the largest Quad Stealth supplies of quad QS albums comes courtesy the Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby team.

Check out all the quad QS cds and lps on the Horizon/A&M Records . You can find it (the Ed Michel link) on Mark Anderson's thread dedicated to" Sun Ra , Magic City " Thread.
And not just on Horizon but other labels as well.
Most informative , I think.
How about some titles?

Back