More stealth quad albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting! Does it seem like they're really meant to be the same track but one has technical limitations?

I ask because the text on the original US DVD was always a bit ambiguous to me as far as how truly accurate the 5.0 version is.

they appear to be the same but the DVD has QS decoded Rears which definitely have some technical drawbacks, while the Blu-ray is totally discrete, the DVD tracks good but the Blu-ray is amazing!! 🤩

i wonder if the Quintaphonic ever was a discrete 5-channel original or if it was only ever 3-channels with QS encoding? 🤔

View attachment 72010

Yes that's what I think to. 2channels of magnetic tape with QS , and a single center channel , expressly for dialog (in this case , singing by all actors*) and backround music.

*Even Jack Nicholson sings his parts .😲

And Regarding CD and LP soundtracks unmarked as surround , Varese Sarabande was one label that admitted they were encoded.
:)

they appear to be the same but the DVD has QS decoded Rears which definitely have some technical drawbacks, while the Blu-ray is totally discrete, the DVD tracks good but the Blu-ray is amazing!! 🤩

Yep I got it as well. And the albums (LP) are mostly tame in the rears some , BUT NOT ALL TRACKS .

Bizzare. Yes ?

And if the film broke and was spliced in Cinerama or any other interlocked system, the same frames had to be cut out of all of the films.

Is it possible that they just copied the L and R from the Quintaphonic and that you have to decode it with QS to hear it???

And if the film broke and was spliced in Cinerama or any other interlocked system, the same frames had to be cut out of all of the films.

Or you'd have to pad out the missing frames on the bad film with black "slugs". The few genuine Cinerama shows I've been fortunate to see didn't have that problem, but I've seen it in two-strip 3D presentations. Suddenly one eye goes black for a fraction of a second!

Is it possible that they just copied the L and R from the Quintaphonic and that you have to decode it with QS to hear it???

On the soundtrack album? Unlikely because if they just did left and right it would be missing everything from the center.

i wonder if the Quintaphonic ever was a discrete 5-channel original or if it was only ever 3-channels with QS encoding? 🤔

View attachment 72010

Hey !!
How come my Bluray doesn't have those great liner notes regarding Sansui's use for 5.0 Quintaphonic !!
What a rip off.

They must have used a good Sansui QS Vario Matrix Decoder to derive the Discrete 5.0 MIX for both the DVD
and Blu -Ray Video Movie . Maybe a Professional Sansui Vario Matrix Decoder. The QS-D1000 , comes to mind.

Hey !!
How come my Bluray doesn't have those great liner notes regarding Sansui's use for 5.0 Quintaphonic !!
What a rip off.

They must have used a good Sansui QS Vario Matrix Decoder to derive the Discrete 5.0 MIX for both the DVD
and Blu -Ray Video Movie . Maybe a Professional Sansui Vario Matrix Decoder. The QS-D1000 , comes to mind.

the Quintaphonic on the Blu-ray is fully discrete, it doesn't have QS decoded Rears like the Quintaphonic on the DVD.

the Quintaphonic on the Blu-ray is fully discrete, it doesn't have QS decoded Rears like the Quintaphonic on the DVD.

2010 Blu-ray Quintaphonic Liner Notes:

LINER NOTES ON 2010 BD Quintaphonic.jpg

LINER NOTES ON 2010 BD Quintaphonic #2.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up the dvd years ago. Sounds like I need to upgrade to the bluray.....for the sound not so much the video aspect. Yet how many times will I play this....

apart from not being discrete (except the Centre channel which is discrete on both the DVD and BD) the DVD soundtrack appears to be at the wrong speed (approx 5% faster than the BD)

If your DVD was PAL, it's probably because of that - film is 24fps and PAL is 25fps, so they simply speed the transfer up to make it "fit" - BluRay isn't under this constraint because it supports native 24p playback. NTSC (despite being "never twice the same colour") at 30fps could support the original speed through a workaround called 3:2 pulldown, which involved showing every 3rd frame 1.5 times to turn 24 frames per second into 30.

If your DVD was PAL, it's probably because of that - film is 24fps and PAL is 25fps, so they simply speed the transfer up to make it "fit" - BluRay isn't under this constraint because it supports native 24p playback. NTSC (despite being "never twice the same colour") at 30fps could support the original speed through a workaround called 3:2 pulldown, which involved showing every 3rd frame 1.5 times to turn 24 frames per second into 30.

ah that'll be it! 🤩 Elton sounds like a chipmunk on the UK DVD, its terrible! the BDs much more discrete-er-er anyway, its simply the best (oops wrong Tina track! 😂

anyway, the most important thing in this thread that's gone rather scarily OT, is that the Tommy Quintaphonic movie soundtrack on DVD/BD and the Tommy movie soundtrack Stereo album are absolutely not the same thing! phew! glad we cleared that up (thank you, Doctor) 😅

now onto the next stealth Quad (that i hope really is a Stealth Quad!! 😋

Yes that's what I think to. 2channels of magnetic tape with QS ,
And Regarding CD and LP soundtracks unmarked as surround , Varese Sarabande was one label that admitted they were encoded.

I should mention those Varese Sarabande were transfers from the film. And they used the MP matrix.

More Stealth QS quad ;

There are an absolute crapload of Sun Ra QS albums on the Evidence Label , that were supposed to be released on Impulse Records.......Now Available !!

Check out Ed Michel's link contained within The Sun Ra Magic City Thread post #14 , on Mark Anderson's Surround Discography questions and answers Section .

Lot's on Horizon/A&M , Dave Brubeck , Sonny Fortune , and Impulse Alice Coltrane, and John Coltrane .

Plus a number of previously unknown QS albums .

So take a peek , also Ed Michel provides links to availability.

Very interesting! Does it seem like they're really meant to be the same track but one has technical limitations?

I ask because the text on the original US DVD was always a bit ambiguous to me as far as how truly accurate the 5.0 version is.

I was referring to this.

Just FYI every Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby single-inventory or stealth quad mix I could confirm (which numbers over 80 titles in total) and includes all of his ABC, Impulse, A&M Horizon and WB mixes, is listed in the Surround Engineers table available in the menu at the top of every QQ page.

Back