More stealth quad albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the MFSL & UK SQ I have here are both very different mixes.

I haven't gone through exhaustively, but one obvious example is "us & them": the sax intro on the SQ version is longer, and the tape head delay panning on the vocals is different & more extreme than the MFSL.

Lots of other differences on instrument levels, reverb amount & panning on other tracks too, but clearly these were not sourced from the same stereo mix.

I played them both stereo, as the claim that MFSL is a stealth quad implies the stereo mix would be the same.

Unless there are multiple SQ surround mixes. Or the MFSL is the Japanese QS encode? The SQ liner notes say Alan Parsons supervised the quad mix.

No just the one quad mix as far as I know , and I to have the UK SQ mix on vinyl, in fact 2 copies of that 1973 mix.
No doubt the Australian Pink vinyl SQ copy from the late 80's would and should be the same.

As to discrete copies ,we'll I don't have the Blu-ray of the quad mix ,but I do have one of the DVDA copies made available on line (free) ,supposedly from a Q4 master.
And that copy got a review in a respectable magazine ,(even though it was a boot) so go figure, a copy not sanctioned by the Band nor their label ?
I'm actually surprised you missed that one .
Hey ? It was free .....and the vast majority of QQ 'ers including non members could download it for the longest time I think. That link was not exclusive to any website in particular.
And although I could not download that DSOTM , a good friend made me a hard copy ,no charge of course.

Anyway here's a little bit more on DSOTM specifically the track "Money" ;
providing the ultimate quad test of any release .........interview with Alan via Guitar World magazine 1993
re mix ,Q AND A .
with
16388496712101148726506796679192.jpg
Q AND A .

There is no evidence or logic to indicate DSOTM was originally a second quad mix and then folded to stereo. It is a dedicated stereo mix.

My Google skills are failing me at the moment, but what's left of my brain is trying to tell me that the band wanted the press premiere of the album to be a quad mix but none was yet ready so they boycotted the event and were represented by cardboard cutouts.

Strange AP claims "on the run" was basically a live one-off performance by Gilmour, when we see footage of Waters recording overdub effects for it with the VCS3 in the Pompeii footage?

Someone on Wiki claims the album was already finished & the band did that footage just for show. But I can't see them hauling all that gear into Abbey Road to just fake a recording session. And Gilmour seems to be still working out ideas for the guitar parts too.

I recall reading the Pompeii footage was used in the legal battles to help prove Waters' contribution to the track. So I'm inclined to think the Pompeii footage is legit, and Waters was involved with writing "on the run". Or maybe AP meant to say Waters instead of Gilmour?

Well we know , or we should know that there are "Stealth Quad" recordings that were made back in the 70's mainly by the Audio Engineers.

The most prolific of the quad Engineers would be "Ed Michel/ Baker Bigsby" with their traveling QS Encoder.
Ed Michel has a number of Stealth QS encodings notated on his website fwiw.
Some from his days at ABC/Impulse, others from his and Baker's Encodings from the A&M/ Horizon label , and one on Warner Brothers. And many, some never released, by the artist Sun Ra .

Back in 1997 I was a subscriber to Audio Ideas Guide , a Canadian Audiophile magazine. The magazine was operated by the Audio Engineer and record producer Andrew Marshall.
But most notably he admitted to recording in quad and encoding a number of artists in SQ , as was supplied to him from the CBS Technology Center , when he was working at CBC FM Toronto , additionally they were unmarked as SQ encoded.
As a subscriber and a quadraphile I was intrigued, so I wrote him a letter asking for more specific information on which of these Stealth SQ recordings were encoded on CBC Records or independent labels.(Canadian based)
Unfortunately I did not receive a response to my Enquiry , maybe I'm assuming he was either paranoid or just could not be bothered. Perhaps both.

Anyway I thought I'd attach the relevant article from his Magazine.

Spring 1997 Volume # 17 #01, Audio Ideas Guide Magazine, 🇨🇦 Canada

"Organomics"

20220919_203730.jpg

I thought I'd start a list of unmarked quad matrix albums that I know of.
Unmarked as there contains no mention of quad matrix on the albums , either on their jackets or in the liner notes pertaining mix credits.
There's not much of a secret behind the majority of these matrix encoded albums at least with the members of this forum and their consensus regarding their secret encodes.
Most if not all can be found in the Quadraphonic Discography, thanks to Mark Anderson’s efforts.

To continue...I'll start with Ed Michel's secret encodes...all QS .

Thad Jones and Mel Lewis - Suite For Pops A & M Horizon SP -701
David Leibman - Sweet Hands A&M Horizon SP -702
Dave Brubeck Paul Desmond A&M Horizon SP - 703
Sonny Fortune - Awakening A&M Horizon SP - 704
Jim Hall - Live A&M Horizon SP -705 *
Sonny Fortune - Waves Of Dreams A&M Horizon SP -712
Dave Brubeck Quartet - 25th Anniversary A&M Horizon SP -715
Ornette Coleman - Dancing In Your Head A&M Horizon SP -721

Alice Coltrane- Eternity Warner Brothers BS -2916

John Coltrane- Africa Brass Sessions Volume 2 Impulse AS -9273
John Coltrane - Live In Seattle Impulse AS -9202-2
Ahmad Jamal - OutertimeInnerspace Impulse AS -9226

The above information comes from Ed Michel 's Discography .
*previously indicated as being encoded but not on his current Discography.

Gloria Gaynor - Experience MGM M3G -4997

-Tom Moulton, the engineer confirmed the QS encode , but only the first
edition of pressings. All subsequent pressings were remixed for stereo .

Norrie Paramor - 40 Years Of BBC Television Themes BBC REB 238

-this album was encoded in BBC Matrix H in 1976 , and reported by numerous Audio magazines from Britian .

Gloria Gaynor - Experience MGM M3G -4997

-Tom Moulton, the engineer confirmed the QS encode , but only the first
edition of pressings. All subsequent pressings were remixed for stereo .
I had heard this also. But how do you know if you've found a first pressing? I looked at Discogs, but it doesn't really say. There are several 1975 US pressings of this album.

I had heard this also. But how do you know if you've found a first pressing? I looked at Discogs, but it doesn't really say. There are several 1975 US pressings of this album.

I really have no idea.
Best play it in QS and see if there is a definitive difference in the rears vs. the fronts.

Now if it's any consolation...I think there are probably more quad pressings made than not.
They would've been in the majority..as she was very popular at the time.
That's my 2 cents ,

😏

I am late into this discussion - apologies if I have missed it, but does anyone maintain a definitive list of Quad vinyl releases (confirmed and stealth ones)?

I did try discogs - but it doesn't have it, sadly.

I bought this cd on a curiosity type of whim , hoping it might be a long lost album of Cosmic Courier fame and possibly quad SQ encoded.
And it is....yay.
There is no indication on the disc its quad , unlike the many others from 73 , onwards , that were recorded at Dierks Studio as quad Compilations , ie SCI FI PARTY , PLANETEN SIT-IN , GALACTIC SUPERMARKET , and ETC...

The liner notes, although somewhat sparse , indicate this is from 1973 , Sound produced by Dieter Dierks for the Cosmic Couriers at the Dierks Studio .
Transferred from the original analog tapes. And Remastered at Dierks Studios.
So this is an unreleased "Stealth" quad album.
And also available on LP.

Weird thing is the album number , which is the same as the number on Planeten Sit-in ...KM 58.013-2....So it's a new Cosmic Courier album from the 1973 Sessions

Gilles Zeitschiff 2 , Cargo Records , issued 2023

Perhaps we will see more released from the Dierks Studio , vault archive ?

16935075475632168382040490145940.jpg
16935076056601714089015491628567.jpg

Back