More Zappa Hi-Rez (8 Titles today 4/2/21)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Bongo Fury (192 & 96)
Halloween ’81 (96 only) 6 Discs
Halloween ’81 Highlights (96 only)
The Mothers 1970 (96 Only) 4 Discs
Zappa in NY (96 Only) 5 Discs
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (192 & 96)
Absolutely Free (192 & 96)
Orchestral Favorites (96 Only) 3 Discs
Chicago '78 (96 Only)

all with digital books

I have not seen these at HD Tracks yet but they are on Qobuz so I imagine soon

Bongo Fury (192 & 96)
Halloween ’81 (96 only) 6 Discs
Halloween ’81 Highlights (96 only)
The Mothers 1970 (96 Only) 4 Discs
Zappa in NY (96 Only) 5 Discs
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (192 & 96)
Absolutely Free (192 & 96)
Orchestral Favorites (96 Only) 3 Discs
Chicago '78 (96 Only)

all with digital books

I have not seen these at HD Tracks yet but they are on Qobuz so I imagine soon

Chicago '78 was at the uptown theater a converted art deco movie theater with very good acoustics and sightlines its also where I saw Zappa in 1980

I don't know if you need to subscribe to buy but here is a link to all the albums
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/search?q=frank-zappa-hi-res
Looks like qobuz registration, Facebook or Apple log in required for purchase, from what I saw in a cart. I may try something, just not sure what title I'd like just yet though.

*edit - went ahead and registered qobuz (looks like you can buy stuff without a monthly fee) just bought -Pleasure Centre Kraak & Smaak qobuz CD (which is only CD quality, but it was about $7 cheaper than HDtracks.)

Last edited:
Looks like qobuz registration, Facebook or Apple log in required for purchase, from what I saw in a cart. I may try something, just not sure what title I'd like just yet though.

*edit - went ahead and registered qobuz (looks like you can buy stuff without a monthly fee) just bought -Pleasure Centre Kraak & Smaak qobuz CD (which is only CD quality, but it was about $7 cheaper than HDtracks.)
My vote is for Joe’s Garage.

I tag Zappa and Tom Waits as avant garde, and no one else, because they do what they want to do and we get to enjoy the outcome.

My vote is for Joe’s Garage.
As in the best sounding of the batch so far?
It's bangin' and sounds fantastic for sure! All of them I've listened to so far are mastered beautifully. All from the original Frank master mix tapes. They all sound their most original best. Joe's Garage did sound especially good though! :)

This is pretty great to finally happen. 25 years too late!
Do we actually hold out hope for the original quad mixes? The popular titles mixed with deep dive titles in these batches are a REAL good sign that this might be the whole catalog coming!

As in the best sounding of the batch so far?
It's bangin' and sounds fantastic for sure! All of them I've listened to so far are mastered beautifully. All from the original Frank master mix tapes. They all sound their most original best. Joe's Garage did sound especially good though! :)

This is pretty great to finally happen. 25 years too late!
Do we actually hold out hope for the original quad mixes? The popular titles mixed with deep dive titles in these batches are a REAL good sign that this might be the whole catalog coming!
In other words, just sign over your entire stimulus check to a download site now. And why not, after all, this is Zappa that we’re talking about!

Good to see that Ahmet Zappa is doing something right.

I'm blown away by how good Orchestral Favorites sounds! This one is truly like hearing it for the first time. Heh, they bent over backwards trying to write liner notes but not mention any details of the drama! Of course those original WB releases didn't have Frank overseeing them and the original mastering was shit. But his reissues weren't much better! (Maybe he was still kind of holding his nose?) Now I REALLY want to hear Lather with proper mastering! After reading that bit of revisionist history though I'm worried they might go back to pretending it never existed.

The bonus concert is an awfully nice touch!

I'm blown away by how good Orchestral Favorites sounds! This one is truly like hearing it for the first time. Heh, they bent over backwards trying to write liner notes but not mention any details of the drama! Of course those original WB releases didn't have Frank overseeing them and the original mastering was shit. But his reissues weren't much better! (Maybe he was still kind of holding his nose?) Now I REALLY want to hear Lather with proper mastering! After reading that bit of revisionist history though I'm worried they might go back to pretending it never existed.

The bonus concert is an awfully nice touch!
They can pretend all they want so long as the releases are this good!

HDTracks offered 5 new Zappa titles this week in 24/96 or 24/192 for a total of ten.

Qobuz has 20 titles 24 bit 96 & 192 also but also include CD quality.

Just a question, why would they not be equal? Some kind of licensing thing or money thing? Qobuz is willing to pay more?

At any rate I have been enjoying them.

Back