MOST CONVINCING 5.1 LIST OF* *PENTEO or SPECWEB** , BEST SONGS YOU'VE HEARD or CREATED !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if anything it would have been SQ , as it was indicated as such on some CBS/Columbia Records . But only on one side of the album.
FWIW There should be a picture of that , somewhere's on QQ , pupster .

:unsure:

pupster,

Yesterday I did a quick search on QQ . The appropriate post for Gong Shamal can be found on the ebay thread.

Ffzzii

Bad Reputation by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts.
Absolutely stonking well done - fake as our UK Prime Minister, but sounds great (whereas he of course....well, that's not why you called (to borrow someone else's tagline))
When I first heard this I was staggered. Highly recommended.

Another one - very oold now but still better than any other attempt I have heard was the original TOUP (Two Of US Productions) DTS-CD upmixes of the first 5 Zeppelin albums. Highlights include Page's looong slides down the fretboard panning from front right to rear right and other wonderful touches abound.

Neil,
I think all 3 of the first Zepp albums lend themselves ideally for any surround upmix . There's a lot of adventurous panning by their engineers . Add to the fact they used a lot of echo and reverb to acheive that amazing Zepp sound.

BTW , our PM is kinda phony as well .
There are times you can see through him as bad as a Granny's old night gown.

Some years back you were seeking input on choosing a matrix encode for a demonstration.
I've been meaning to ask you what matrix system you finally chose for the cd on one of your cd/dvda 5.1 projects ?
(At least I think it was a cd ).

Steve Wilson's Penteo upmixes on Gentle Giant's Octopus are stunning! I read the notes after listening and was flabbergasted that the opening track was an upmix... it's better than many/most true surround mixes out there.

I agree and I'm also impressed with his penteo on Crimson's Starless and Bible Black.

Yeah predating commercial upmix tools, Spec and to some extent AART/EOH there was TOUP, and GART, and maybe one more that escapes me at the moment. Those methods were, to my knowledge, never shared, although TOUP talked about using mono and stereo mixed sources for the same material.

Zee,
Do You mean a program to acheive a surround mix from a mono source ?.....
FWIW ;
That's what Rick Chace of Chace Surround Stereo was doing for their
mono and 2ch remastered film soundtracks. Both Film and television.

Attachments

• 20210712_204144.jpg
    20210712_204144.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210712_204156.jpg
    20210712_204156.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
My favorite SpecWeb upmixes so far:

Jon Astley's 2 albums, especially The Compleat Angler. His production is off the charts good for that era. Supposedly Pete Townshend said that this was his reference album when listening to a new system.

Patrick Moraz - The Story of I (this isn't really "I", but a symbol that looks like an "I"). Synths and percussion flying all over the place. Very active.

Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night. Anything with violin seems to come out great.

Pointer Sisters - Pointer Sisters. Their first album. Great production. Did it from a needle drop.

Klaus Schulze - Timewind - If the original didn't F you up when you first listened to it on headphones, being surrounded by it at the end should do the trick.

Sam Phillips - Martinis and Bikinis. Great production leads to good upmixes.

Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy - Way better than the real quad thing that is out there. Lots of separation.

Traffic - Low Spark... & John Barleycorn - Both sound great. Their music was made for surround... and drugs. I tested the surround. :)

A couple of songs also stood out:

Lucifer's Friend - Spanish Galleon
The Tubes - What Do You Want From Life - Hold on to your hats at the end.

FWIW The Tubes was supposed to release a TATE SQ video special . But most likely it was shelved along with the DEVO video special.

Thought I read somewhere on QQ that Klaus Schulze's Timewind is a sleath SQ quad , but unconfirmed ?

And as far as Traffic's albums are concerned , any of their recordings sound great in synth quad matrix , QS preferably. (and soft drugs):cool:
In fact , Audio Magazine recommends "Where The Eagle Flies" in (SQ ) matrix (or QS).
I tried it in SQ via my Fosgate Tate II , and agreed that it's a natural for quad via SQ matrix.

And so is Bob Segar's album "Against The wind" . :)

Thanks for those recommendations , infomas.

FWIW The Tubes was supposed to release a TATE SQ video special . But most likely it was shelved along with the DEVO video special.

Thought I read somewhere on QQ that Klaus Schulze's Timewind is a sleath SQ quad , but unconfirmed ?

And as far as Traffic's albums are concerned , any of their recordings sound great in synth quad matrix , QS preferably. (and soft drugs):cool:
In fact , Audio Magazine recommends "Where The Eagle Flies" in (SQ ) matrix (or QS).
I tried it in SQ via my Fosgate Tate II , and agreed that it's a natural for quad via SQ matrix.

And so is Bob Segar's album "Against The wind" . :)

Thanks for those recommendations , infomas.

I saw the Tubes perform that first album and can only imagine how crazy that video would have been

I don't have the equipment to test Timewind, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Long ago I used to say that Traffic's music was perfect for/with drugs. It had a very open mix with lots of space for your personal drugs to fill in the gaps. They were one of the first bands I upmixed because I knew it would sound great.

Bob has always had well produced albums. No doubt Against the Wind sounds great.

Back