HiRez Poll Motorhead - ACE OF SPADES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Motorhead - ACE OF SPADES

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I started reading this poll and was thinking, what the fuck, Donovan? I couldn't understand.
Anyway I voted 9, have had this Ace Of Spades for awhile and always enjoyed it and it is a DVD-A which certainly helps. I saw Motorhead at Maratime Hall in the 80's and my ears where blown for a week. This DVD-A lacks a little fidelity, gee it is Motorhead, but the mix is perfect.

I was a bit disappointed, after reading ecstatic reviews. A stone cold monolithic rock masterpiece - of course! - but the LFE is mixed way too loud and my subwoofers had to be almost completely turned off. The recording fidelity isn't exactly audiophile either - it is what it is. Back In Black is a better recording and I don't think Ace Of Spades will actually sound better. It's just meant to be played ear-bleedingly loud. The mix is fun but I wouldn't give it more than a 6.

Never voted, but have listened lots over the years. Yes, the bass is a bit hot, as you can see in the LFE channel in my picture. But, my slamming sub handles with ease. This thing is a wall of effing sound. Wow..... No, not much finesse, but would Lemmy have it any other way? Love it.

I'm voting an 8 as obviously this is not a Wilson type mix.

1600006605145.png

I have spun this 5 times since I got it last week, my wife is on the verge of throwing it out ....
Surround Mix: for three dudes playing as loud and fast as they can, there were some suprising moments of panning that made this more interesting than the stereo version I have been listening to for over 30 years. 8/10 = 2.4
Audio Fidelity: As mentioned the bass is HOT but is there another way to listen to Lemmy? 7 = 2.1 but plus one since Lemmy plays at 11 so this is true to form. 8 = 2.4
Content: It is Ace Of Spades, content is one of the most important metal albums of all time. 9 = 2.7
Package: No frills, but show me a DualDisc that isn't. 8 = .8
8.3 rounded to 8. I should give it +5 because it is Lemmy in surround but 8 is fair.

I agree, it is more interesting than the stereo version. Whether one thinks it sounds audiophile or not, might be a question of personal taste. But Ace Of Spades does sound a bit "muddy" to my ears - would anyone think that this might have something to do with the default Audio Processing settings on my Oppo 103D? I have the Crossover set to "80 Hz", Dynamic Range set to "Auto" and Output Volume is set at "Fixed". I also think that the SACD of Toys In The Attic and blu-ray audio of Appetite For Destruction do not sound particularly audiophile (although lots is going on in the various channels).

However, there ARE multichannel rock mixes that sound audiophile on my set-up: Machine Head, Metallica and Electric Warrior being three examples. Tommy and Quadrophenia also sound great.

Another thing: what sets Ace Of Spades apart from the DVD-A of Overkill, which everyone says is appalling? I haven't got Overkill, so I'm just curious.

IMG_2330.jpg

I agree, it is more interesting than the stereo version. Whether one thinks it sounds audiophile or not, might be a question of personal taste. But Ace Of Spades does sound a bit "muddy" to my ears - would anyone think that this might have something to do with the default Audio Processing settings on my Oppo 103D? I have the Crossover set to "80 Hz", Dynamic Range set to "Auto" and Output Volume is set at "Fixed". I also think that the SACD of Toys In The Attic and blu-ray audio of Appetite For Destruction do not sound particularly audiophile (although lots is going on in the various channels).

However, there ARE multichannel rock mixes that sound audiophile on my set-up: Machine Head, Metallica and Electric Warrior being three examples. Tommy and Quadrophenia also sound great.

Another thing: what sets Ace Of Spades apart from the DVD-A of Overkill, which everyone says is appalling? I haven't got Overkill, so I'm just curious.

View attachment 56537
Overkill is said to be an upmix rather than the real deal in 5.1.

Overkill is said to be an upmix rather than the real deal in 5.1.
That's my belief, my guess on the race reviews for Ace of Spades was Silverlines reputation for up mixes rather than genuine discrete from the multi track releases.

Yes I still like the original DVDA and no problem with plenty of Bass, having been a bass player(albeit a bad one) in my youth

Just picked up the Dualdisc for a reasonable price. Arrived a couple of hours ago and just finished with it. This was just a really pleasant surprise. Never expected a mix this interesting from an album like this, and makes me hopeful that we'll get some classic speed/thrash albums in surround some day. I'd give an 8 for the mix and the music is a 20 :) so I will settle for a 9 overall. Turn this up, crack a beer and watch the ceiling cave in.

I just got this DVD-A from my fave used CD store. It is 100% Motorhead Ace of Spades, not an ounce of anything but pure overdriven metal pounding. I agree with the folks who say it's a bit muddy. Lots of British records from that era had the effects (compressors, eq and such) on the front end of the chain. That sounds great and metal wall of sound-ish for a stereo record but when you break it out into surround you have narrower, crunched tracks in a bunch of space and it sounds less clear.
And yeah, definitely a ridiculous amount of LFE. I have channel eq and level adjusts in my Trinnov pre so I just tweaked 'em a bit.

Then I made sure everything in the room was secure and just turned the volume up. This is Motorhead the Moody Blues FFS!

...Never expected a mix this interesting from an album like this, and makes me hopeful that we'll get some classic speed/thrash albums in surround some day...

Well I hope your right, but you can also wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one runs through your fingers faster.

In 2020, the chance of getting a new or previously recorded speed/thrash studio album in surround is almost zero.

Well I hope your right, but you can also wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one runs through your fingers faster.

In 2020, the chance of getting a new or previously recorded speed/thrash studio album in surround is almost zero.
I mean, yes, probably right. I often wonder, when Metallica released some of their studio albums in those expensive boxes....they didn't hire someone to do a hi-res multi-channel part. They seem to be hip to multi-channel to some extent.

Now you have me imagining Accept"s Balls To The Wall in surround. I need to get my Surround Master II set up and try that one.

Been listening to this a lot lately, and the stereo version introduced me to the record, but damn does the 5.1 mix perfect it. In the car it is especially satisfying to crank. If the person at the stoplight in the car next to you isn't listening to Motörhead as well, you don't have it loud enough. 🤣

Learning that the person who mixed this also mixed One By One makes a lot of sense. There seems to be a lot of dynamic compression used in these mixes. There are a few moments where you definitely feel it, like when the drums and bass kick in on "Shoot You In The Back" at the beginning, even if they are satisfyingly punchy. One By One has a few moments like that as well.

Back