Quad LP/Tape Poll Mottola, Tony: Tony Mottola and the Quad Guitars [SQ/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Tony Mottola and the Quad Guitars"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
1793 project also featuring Al Caiola, Dick Hyman, Ronnie Zito; recorded in 16-track. Released 1973.

Side 1:

1. Classical Gas
2. Sugar Blues
3. Over The Rainbow
4. Stage Fright
5. Moonlight In Vermont
6. Chicken-A-La-Swing

Side 2:

1. Charade
2. Galloping Guitars
3. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
4. Guitar Boogie
5. All The Things You Are
6. Paganini's 24th Caper

ED :)

I'm not a fan of most "easy listening" music, but I love this album! The arrangements are inventive, and the picking is hot. A lot of it of it has a Nashville jazz feel (think Chet Atkins). The guitars are each mixed to their own speaker, somewhat like the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet albums. I give it a 10.

J. D.

Does anyone have a copy of this recording in some form that I might be able to purchase? I have pretty much ignored Tony Motolla quad releases, but I picked up a Fisher Test & Performance Standard record by Project 3 and it had the cut, Galloping Guitars by Tony Motolla and the Quad Guitars. I thought it was a fun song and I'd love to hear the rest of this recording. If anyone has a copy they'd part with please send me a PM. Thanks!

I like some easy listening music and got an 8track of this but in stereo! How much sense does that make.....the Quad Guitars...now in stereo. Would like to hear the quad too.

I like some easy listening music and got an 8track of this but in stereo! How much sense does that make.....the Quad Guitars...now in stereo. Would like to hear the quad too.

Maybe someday if we are lucky, they will release the Quad Guitars in Mono
:ugham:

I could see where it would still be decent in stereo, but they really take advantage of discrete instrument placement in the quad version. Just one of those fun recordings that sseems to have been composed specifically for quad. But yes, as Q8 mentions, a mono version woould ruin it completely. :)

I have the Q8 of this title and I'm surprised to learn it was recorded to 16-track. You'd never guess it. I was thinking 8-tracks tops by the way it's mixed. On some songs, the electric bass is considered one of the guitars, and all you get is bass coming out of back left. I would've thought they'd utilize phantom channels maybe with drums & bass in front center and then surround the room with guitars, keys, percussion.... not so. To say I was disappointed by the mix is an accurate description. It's very ping-pong Quad, which is cool in some instances, but maybe I had built this title up in my mind and expected too much.

To say I was disappointed by the mix is an accurate description. It's very ping-pong Quad, which is cool in some instances, but maybe I had built this title up in my mind and expected too much.

Well, if you should decide you dislike it enough to want to get rid of it send me a PM and let me know. I'd still be interested in having a listen.

What label is this stereo tape on? I didn't know Ovation ever put this out in stereo.

Forgot to list that the album is on Enoch Light's Project 3 label. And yes, a stereo Lp and tape were issued, AND a quad Lp and, presumably, 8-track and Q reel as well, which are listed in the discog.

Forgot to list that the album is on Enoch Light's Project 3 label. And yes, a stereo Lp and tape were issued, AND a quad Lp and, presumably, 8-track and Q reel as well, which are listed in the discog.

Found a Q8 on ebay, so I'll have a chance to listen to the whole album soon. :) That Gallopping Guitars from the SQ sampler I have is a catchy little tune.

I once found a CD-4 copy of this. It was in a standard sleeve which made it look like a QS copy, but there was a sticker near the bottom of the cover indicating that it was CD-4. Keep this in mind if you're ever thumbing through some records and come across this title - you have to pick it up to see which version it is.

J. D.

Ah, pretty sure Tony Mottola was on Project 3 wasn't he?

Guess they pulled the old Project 3/ Enoch Light switcharoo on this title.

With Project 3 quads you have to be careful, because Light seemed to be experimenting with SQ, QS and CD-4, but the cover doesn't always tell you exactly what you're getting (or if what you're getting is the right format). Good news is that his quads are fairly easy to find, and inexpensive (or should be).

Guess what I found. The Quad Guitars LP. I'm not sure if this is the stereo releaase or not. The artwork looks like it was mde to show the quadraphonic logo or not depending on how it was folded and glued. This one is folded so that the quad logo is not visable. But if you shine the flashlight on the inside of the gatefold, you can see how they did it. The number is PR5078 SD, I think it may be the stereo version, cause on the sleeve, if put together for quad, shows a number ending in QD. The Record label also uses SD. Which I'm guessing is for stereo... Also the leadout groove has SD as well. Can someone verify if this is Quad or not for sure? Why would they even waste time on seperate stereo stmpers for this disc? Then I also saw a listing on Ebay where the sleeve definately haas the Quadraphonic logo visable, but they stated the number ended in SD. What do I have?

I have just finished listening to this after having found it in one of the local shops that has a quad section. I think I found the QS version, it has the QD at the end of the number. I could have voted 9 based on the slight weakness of the titles, but the guitar work easily more than made up for it. Plus, it gave my Sansui QS setting a workout! Even though I sit nearfield to my rear speakers due to room and spouse constrictions, it was extremely discrete sounding. I had to look at the jacket wile I was listening to Guitar Boogie because I would have sworn that the bass was straight off one of my favourite 78's, Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett. This has quickly jumped to the front of the line for a demo disc and a sonic favourite for me. I only wish I had jumped on it earlier! Clearly the best sounding QS disc I own.

The inverse relationship between cheesy muzak and brilliant musicianship/engineering/quad mixing is at it again on this Project 3 release. Literally coming at you from all corners with everything it has, this is a recording that dares you to put it on the turntable because you're already fatigued by the track listing as you lift the tone arm. Yet put it on and you'll probably go through the whole thing, not least because the sonics are rich and nuanced and the quad mix couldn't be more quad if it tried. It's too good to write off as muzak but not quite original enough for purists; it's stuck in a limbo of Enoch Light's creation. There are shades of that California Baroque/Pacific Ocean Gothic here amongst the sunnier tracks, Dick Hyman's piano phrasing on 'Over The Rainbow' for one is sublime; 'Charade' is all windswept headlands and lost horizons before it becomes the most miserable yet danceable version of this standard. There is an mistakably melancholic streak that runs through much of this album - sometimes it's like the tang of yoghurt going up against what you thought was sweet cream. 'Galloping Guitars' finds minor keys and arpeggios amongst the perceived head rush jolliness. 'Raindrops...' has this weird slightly detuned organ with a leslie speaker that sits underneath those well known phrases that makes it just a tiny bit queasy. You'll pay very little for this record and it's a nice QS workout in the version I own. Content drags it down a little to a 6, mix is great and deserves a 8, so I'll dip lower on this score to award a solid 7. There are just better Tony quads out there than this one. Oh and the last track, 'Paganini's 24th Caper' should have been on 'Spaced Out', it's whacked out enough. Perhaps Enoch should have had delivered a '2 Spaced Out' follow up that raided Paganini, Richards/Jagger and Mozart.

Last edited:
Back