MOTU 828es SCARE solved

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
so yesterday I attempted to keep ripping my LP collection...it had been a couple of weeks or less since the last rip...
and while I started to hear the LP playing I hear some TERRIBLE distortion and , of course, my TT being the oldest and most fragile link I suspected my lovely and innocent Technics SL-QL1.. it went pretty far with me even switching to my Grado cart/stylus with the same horrific results...it started getting pretty obvious when I unplugged one of the stereo connectors while playing the LP and the image did not flinch, it stayed in "distorted mono mode" so I started suspecting the next thing in the chain..
the MOTU 828es module...
I stopped the TT and played back other files I had successfully recorded in Logic and , whaddayaknow, it was distorted!
...so, I tried to update the drivers and the MOTU went into a very strange mode, i.e. the left display started alternating between its original image and a white image that spelled the model and the brand...
SO I WENT TO BED...
this morning I wake up and since it states that you can update the module by just connecting the Ethernet cable to the back, I proceeded to do it and I abandoned my "Reset to Factory Settings" plan and turned it off while pushing the MENU button/wheel and it went immediately into update mode...I waited quite a while and I restarted it and...hey... it WORKED AGAIN!...
whew!!!
it might have been nice to get an email from MOTU warning me about that but, hey...

now you know...any of my QQ brethren with a MOTU module, BEWARE!!!

Did you try restarting the MOTU initially? (ie. turning it off and back on)

Sometimes audio interfaces crash. I've owned a few MOTU interfaces over the years and had just a couple isolated crashes. Maybe after changing the sample rate or something, can't remember. Mostly reliable trouble free service. I have two 828mk3 units I used to run live sound with a DAW based system with for a good stretch. If some equipment is gonna mess with you, it's going to be at a live show, right? I think their hardware is pretty solid and pretty pro. Maybe they get an A- on the software and firmware.

This is why I am suspicious of software based solutions for my electronic crossovers and intend to keep my analog crossover networks. I think almost any computer based gear is capable of this sort of thing. I know they can also do wonderful tricks and normally behave themselves.

Last edited:
Yeah. There's a bit of a love/hate mix. Digital tools can be miserable next to some examples of intuitive matter of fact analog tools. An analog mixing board just speaks to you, for example. The controls are obvious and right there. But then I can have the power of an enormous mixing board and the full fx rack of a mixing and mastering studio under my fingers for live sound for the barest fraction of the cost. Digital gear... So the fidelity concerns are the front and back end (ADC and DAC respectively) and it's just shuttling ones and zeros around in-between. No one piece in the middle bringing the whole system down a notch. I'll put up with the PITA learning curve for something like that!

After that, choose your battles wisely.
Already have a digital audio stream? Probably best to keep it digital vs inserting a round of DA and AD conversion for some analog processing.

Analog signal going into an amp? Probably best to keep it analog and not introduce a round of AD and DA conversion for some digital processing.

Some of this can be academic. (ie not matter much) But a workflow that avoids potential pitfalls is just that all the same.

Using multiple outputs from your audio interface for high vs mid vs sub (or however many crossover splits your system has) and digital crossover eqs in your matrix routing instead of a full output to an analog crossover can be slick.

Back