Mountain - Twin Peaks SQ encoded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadBob

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Ok, here's my first contribution:

I recently acquired the Japanese pressed SQ lp of Mountain - Twin Peaks.

Upon receiving it, I have A/B'd it through the TATE II monitoring the channels by ear and on the reel decks VU meters and confirmed that both the standard American LP pressing and the Columbia CD release of this album are also the SQ encoded mix.

This release is a live recording, and as such there isn't a tremendous amount of rear channel information beyond concert ambience, however Nantucket Sleigh Ride does get pretty interesting especially during the solos. If you like Mountain, and have a good SQ decoder you can really enjoy it!

I should also note that this release was engineered and recorded by the same team that did Santana - Lotus, and like Lotus every pressing/release of this would appear to be the SQ mix. The big question is who/what else did they record during this period in Japan?????????

Quad Bob:cool:

Bob,

I'm thrilled that you've decided to come on board!
Thanks for the info on "Twin Peaks" I'll have to pick up a copy-again!

Hailing Your Quadness!
T-Bone

Hey Tom,

Yes the Holland pressing of Santana - Lotus is also SQ encoded......just not labeled as such.

My conjecture is that these albums were produced and mixed directly to an "SQ Master", therefore all releases are also SQ encoded whether credited as such or not. This follows the pattern seen in other Columbia/Sony releases of that time including Annie, and a few of the classical releases.

QuadBob

I just posted in Matrix CDs, but it appears The Santana and Buddy Miles Live US CD is also encoded. I need someone else to check against the LP version though, as I don't have a quad copy.

AFAIK the first CD release of Santana & Buddy Miles Live dates back in 1988 from Castle Communication UK - on a double disc set along with Santana Welcome.
If someone can post a short undecoded SQ sample of both discs i can check it out with these releases. Both albums were released on regular Columbia/CBS cd very very late.

If it is anything like the 2006 remaster of Lotus (which to my ears is much better than the original) then the answer would be no. I did a DVD-A of the Lotus album using the 2006 Japanese remaster and it decoded better and sounded far more discrete than the original one I did using the regular cds. I will be on the look out for Mountain. I love 'em!!

If it is anything like the 2006 remaster of Lotus
(which to my ears is much better than the original) then the answer would be no.
I did a DVD-A of the Lotus album using the 2006 Japanese remaster and it decoded
better and sounded far more discrete than the original one I did using the regular cds.
I will be on the look out for Mountain. I love 'em!!

Hi Bob, I was looking for both the new CD releases of Lotus and Twin Peaks
( I'm a sucker for '70s Rock in Quad , love the Whatever turns you on LP and
looking for the Why Dontcha one and their conversions).
Is the Lotus DVDA available enywhere- I haven't seen it in the noid (?)

Hi Bob, I was looking for both the new CD releases of Lotus and Twin Peaks
( I'm a sucker for '70s Rock in Quad , love the Whatever turns you on LP and
looking for the Why Dontcha one and their conversions).
Is the Lotus DVDA available enywhere- I haven't seen it in the noid (?)

I did the "Whatever Turns You On" LP but only to DTS CD a year or so ago
but I have a real nice pressing of it for someone who wants to have a go
at it for DVD-A.
I never did get "Why Dontcha" and would love that one as well.
Also looking for Argent's "In Deep".

-Bob

I have a Why Doncha Q8. If I recall correctly, program 2 has all the songs mixed with mono fronts, I was never very happy with that quad mix, so it's quite low on the list of things to eventually convert.

I do have an In Deep Q8, and do have files recorded in of it a while back, but I never did get around to playing with those. One of these days that will probably get done.

I have a Why Doncha Q8. If I recall correctly, program 2 has all the songs mixed with mono fronts, I was never very happy with that quad mix, so it's quite low on the list of things to eventually convert.

I do have an In Deep Q8, and do have files recorded in of it a while back, but I never did get around to playing with those. One of these days that will probably get done.

I may be able to dig up an SQ copy (of WB&L) and try it out.
If it is any better, I'll send that one off.

-Bob

Back