Movie: What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Abbie Hoffman was never a spokesman for anyone I associated with.

I have the AF SACD, and although I can’t say they’re my favorite band, I like most of their music - enough to seek out that SACD.
No offense, but channels are misaligned on the AF SACD. It sounds smeared and out of balance (toward the left). I can’t recall how many samples it’s off (and that depends, of course, upon the sample rate you use for conversion) but it’s enough to be noticable.

If you convert it to PCM and realign, it’s noticeably tighter, better defined and centered.

Last edited:
No offense, but channels are misaligned on the AF SACD. It sounds smeared and out of balance (toward the left). I can’t recall how many samples it’s off (and that depends, of course, upon the sample rate you use for conversion) but it’s enough to be noticable.

If you convert it to PCM and realign, it’s noticeably tighter, better defined and centered.
I guess I'll have to give it another listen.

I guess I'll have to give it another listen.
Some people don't notice it (or don't care); others do. I noticed the first time I listened to it. AF eventually acknowledged it, but they never corrected it. They had a similar problem with their Sly Stone GH SACD as well (which they did correct). IIRC, it's only on the SACD layer, not the CD layer.

Once I shifted and aligned the samples, I'd say it's my favorite version. Before that, not so much (the Sony SACD was probably #1 digital version for me).

Documentary pulled from scheduled November 2023 DVD release. No new release date on DVD announced. We had it preordered. phooey

BS&T 2 would be in my 10 favorite albums. And one of my most played.
Bought BS&T 2 11 times:
1st pressing 2 ch LP walking eyes "360 sound"
Q8
SQ
Direct Disk Labs 1/2 speed LP
Direct Disc Labs dbx encoded 1/2 speed LP
Japan CD
2ch expanded CD
MoFi 2ch SACD
Columbia 2ch SACD single layer
AF Quad SACD
AP Quad SACD from 4 SACD Bloodlines box

Hi QL
Best sounding version from your list?
I missed picking up this record in any form.
Sounds like the quad mix is messed up on sacd is the mix even good....
expanded bonus cuts any good?

2 ch SACD's: MoFi & Columbia sound identical
vinyl 2ch: Direct Disc 1/2 speed
dbx is best analog IF you have decoder

Walking Eyes CBS LP is my most played copy and sounds pretty damn good. Of course, it was my ONLY copy for first 5 years it was out.

Q8 is my most played surround copy
I haven't had a chance to a/b AP Bloodlines 4 SACD Quad SACD to AF BS&T2.
Will try to report back when I do

Many thanks QL
Yes I do have the decoder....
It would be great if the Bloodlines sacd corrected the errors of the AF SACD.

I remember AF issued two different corrected disc's for Sly and Family Stone until they got it right as their first quad reissue they had to fix it if they wanted to sell more.

Rented the documentary for five bucks on Apple TV+ the other night. (I'm pretty sure it's also available to rent from other services like Amazon Prime and YouTube.) Really terrific: compelling story, great concert & candid footage, and excellent interviews with Bobby Colomby, Steve Katz, and David Clayton-Thomas, in particular.

Back