Movies with True, Discrete 5.1 Music Not Found Elsewhere

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
True 5.1 sound for movies has been around since 1993. Sound effects are "real" , at least in the sense of originating from multitrack sources, but what about the music?

Until recently, much of it was fake (stereo with generated reverb or some such in the rears). Some orchestral scores, I believe, are technically true 5.1, but so conservative for our tastes as to not really count. (Example: Titanic, whose end-theme is 95% mixed to the front.) There are good reasons for this: most theaters until recently could not be counted on to have decent rear speakers, because of the expense and the fact that before 5.1 systems the rear channels were not full-range. I've also read that film directors, producers and engineers were afraid that full-surround music would be distracting.

That appears to be changing. Slowly.

I first sensed something on playing an MGM DVD containing an ad showing clips from various MGM releases. The wraparound music was in true discrete 5.1, with dramatic percussion in the rear.

I just found the first movie whose soundtrack contains a song in true 5.1. Slow Burn, starring Ray Liotta, has an end them called Seeing is Believing, that appears as the last song over the end credits. It's a trancy, trip-hop thing by a performer I couldn't find in the IMDB listing or anywhere else.

To listen to the song, either use random access to go straight to 1:30 into the movie, or you can go to the last chapter, 24, and FF. The DVD is an obnoxious Lions Gate release that won't let you go straight to the menu after starting, so be patient.

I'm sure by now there must be others. Has anyone else found one?

No wonder I couldn't find the soundtrack -- it's an iTunes "exclusive"!
So not only no 5.1 -- but glorious 128 Kbps too.

More bad news -- it appears the DVD only has about the first two minutes of the song. Too bad -- looks like a great soundtrack.

The old classic "High Society". Remember this was supposed to be released as a DVD-Audio? Well, at the time I took the remastered DVD-V and put the songs to hard drive to "see" the sounds. The music is VERY discrete, although it's more 3 channel discrete with "mild" rears. However, it is a true discrete presentation.

I should actually go back to those tracks and make the DVD-A that can't be bought now. There's some great Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong on there.

Jon, what's the best way to extract a DD or DTS track from a DVD-V for compilation on a 5.1 CD (hopefully without buying anything pricey)?

Actually, back then I think I just played the DVD into my PC. However, you can use DVD Audio Extractor to get the 6 mono files from a DVD Video disc in your PC's DVD-ROM drive.

Thanks for that suggestion, Jon.

But I was wondering if you could just extract the actual bit stream and put it directly on a CD, without having to decode/reencode. Might be a little hokey to combine DD and DTS on the same disc, but you're not really losing anything if DD is all you had to start.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm getting lazy.

Thanks for that suggestion, Jon.

But I was wondering if you could just extract the actual bit stream and put it directly on a CD, without having to decode/reencode. Might be a little hokey to combine DD and DTS on the same disc, but you're not really losing anything if DD is all you had to start.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm getting lazy.

I think the latest "DVD Audio Extractor" does just that! :smokin

Back