Moving files when using DiscWelder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here's the deal:

I have some Q8's and Q4's stored on a hard drive. I usually create a subdirectory for each title. Then, in that subdirectory, I put the 4 wave files as recorded, then the 4 wav files prepared for burning, then any graphics, and the DiscWelder file that will be used to make the DVD-A. As you may know, this file holds all of the track, title, timing, pictures and anything else to do with the disc to be created.

So, I have all of this stuff in a neat place.

Now, if I want to move this whole directory to a new archival hard drive, the DiscWelder file will be "pointing" to the old drive letter. When I have done this, I've had to go through the whole deal and recreate the DiscWelder file.

Is there some way to do this without recreating the file?

I don't really know, but one thing I would try is open the DiscWelder file with notepad and see if there is any reference to a location. Some applications seem to use a simple text file for such info.

Jon.

It should simply ask you to point to the missing asset.
You then browse to the new location, and job done.
Worst case scenario is just to re-import the Audio file.

I will fire up Chrome (First time in months) later today & check for you.

Thanks Neil. I just got it. It's really simple.

Here's the deal for the next time someone wants to know (or I forget!) :D

Here is what I did.

1) Move or copy the audio files to the new drive/directory.
2) Move or copy the .wld file to the new drive/directory.
3) Open the .wld file in Discwelder
4) In the lower section, you will see the tracks, and directly under them the path to the audio file, be it MLP or wav
5) Right click the file path (i.e. C:\SQ Data\MyFile.mlp)
6) A pop up window will appear. Select "Change Soundfile"
7) You will then be able to browse to the new location of the sound file
8) Discwelder will scan the file and that's it! If you are using seperate files for the project, you will have to repeat for each file.
9) Save the .wld file and that's it!

This is a great way to keep from having to recreate the timings when you move a project to an archive drive.

Back