MQA goes into reorganization.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that they’re going back but it makes sense. The GoldenSound expose on MQA in Tidal (and the follow up blog post where he claims that any track, even at the standard lossless tier is just “filtered” MQA) got a lot of the user base up in arms. I believe Apple Music launched it’s lossless support a month later… lurking on the subreddit for Tidal, anecdotally speaking a fair number of users switched over to them… will be curious to see if they win those customers back

Interesting that they’re going back but it makes sense. The GoldenSound expose on MQA in Tidal (and the follow up blog post where he claims that any track, even at the standard lossless tier is just “filtered” MQA) got a lot of the user base up in arms. I believe Apple Music launched it’s lossless support a month later… lurking on the subreddit for Tidal, anecdotally speaking a fair number of users switched over to them… will be curious to see if they win those customers back
My understanding is that FLAC digitizes what the source is, so if source is MP3 you can call the new version FLAC lossless as you have lost nothing from the MP3.
If the source is 24/192, same thing.

This info of Tidal going to "FLAC Lossless" sure leaves things open to loopholes.

I would prefer that Tidal stays MQA. I use the desktop version at work which no MQA decoder is needed. I use the AudioQuest Dragon Fly when listening to Tidal via my iPhone. At home I have the Luxman player that unfolds the MQA discs and/or MQA files.

My understanding is that FLAC digitizes what the source is, so if source is MP3 you can call the new version FLAC lossless as you have lost nothing from the MP3.

This info of Tidal going to "FLAC Lossless" sure leaves things open to loopholes.

I would prefer that Tidal stays MQA. I use the desktop version at work which no MQA decoder is needed. I use the AudioQuest Dragon Fly when listening to Tidal via my iPhone. At home I have the Luxman player that unfolds the MQA discs and/or MQA files.
Too bad, all those many MQA naysayers never really heard MQA 'IN THE WILD' ....only read about it and formed an opinion! Probably the same reason SO MANY listeners have never embraced SURROUND SOUND ...... they still believe 2 EARS = 2 SPEAKERS!

Too bad, all those many MQA naysayers never really heard MQA 'IN THE WILD' ....only read about it and formed an opinion! Probably the same reason SO MANY listeners have never embraced SURROUND SOUND ...... they still believe 2 EARS = 2 SPEAKERS!
Luckily, 4~ears and his cat [now sadly deceased] don't have to worry about THAT!

R.f64d6deaaa5a76b8abde46a380674c3a

I always say that the 'Master' is what matters. The different codecs will just reproduce with more or less fidelity (few differences if good codecs) the sound that has been produced: recorded, mixed, mastered.

Tweeking the final master sound to the desired preferences is what any producer/seller would do to sell the final product/platform/codec.

So, in the end, IMO, if we want to find a "good master" we would probably find it in promoted Hi-res codecs or similar. But mainly because of the master, not because of the codec.

I had read this on-line too regarding extra ripping steps. In real life, when I ripped my MQA CDs, it was as simple as a redbook CD. No special meta-data manipulation needed. Full unfolding was available, no problems.
Again, no first-hand experience here, just what I’ve read written by others. I was referring to the “authentication” feature, however, not the “unfolding.” Supposedly, the authentication feature would be removed if any manipulation (editing) of the file occurred.

And, since I never dealt with MQA, I don’t really know how one checks that.

I had read this on-line too regarding extra ripping steps. In real life, when I ripped my MQA CDs, it was as simple as a redbook CD. No special meta-data manipulation needed. Full unfolding was available, no problems.
This is exactly my experience. I have the Luxman D-03X MQA player. I pop in MQA disc and blue MQA light comes on.
I rip MQA disc with Windows Media Player, same as all my RBCD rips, nothing special whatsoever.
The Luxman has a downloadable player. I take that MQA rip from my NAS add to Luxman player, play selected file, and blue MQA light comes on.
As an experiment I did in same manner with RBCD and MQA blue light does not come on.

So, I concur, you can rip a MQA disc and with proper equipment it will play MQA. Now if I was to take that same file and play in my car for instance, I would not get an unfolded MQA as my car does not have a MQA decoder.

I saw my very first MQA CD at Half Price Books yesterday. I was tempted to buy it as a playing the format sample but it was music I wasn't very interested in and it was also $9.49 which was more than I was willing to pay to have a format sample. When/If it lands in the $2.00 clearance bin I might add it to the collection for experimentation and audition.

Here is one thing I would like to know if you play an MQA CD as a regular CD and dont unfold it are you getting less than redbook CD quality because there are less bits involved? It plays as a 12 or 14 bit CD?

Here is one thing I would like to know if you play an MQA CD as a regular CD and dont unfold it are you getting less than redbook CD quality because there are less bits involved? It plays as a 12 or 14 bit CD?
Jeffie, the RBCD standard is 16bit/44.1 so doubtful any modern CD spinner could output 12 or 14 bits. When I play my MQA discs unfolded they sound just fine. SUPER fidelity!

Ironically, when the RBCD standard was originally proposed, Philips wanted 12 ~ 14 bits but SONY who co sponsored the RBCD standard insisted on 16 bits ...at a minimum!

Thanks 4ears. I thought i read that the bits were reduced on CD playback because of the encoding needed.
Well I have one MQA CD. I will have to try it in the car and see.

My opinion, which I think the real answer should be an own individuals experience, doing A/B testing.
That said, I believe they are definitely not worse than RBCD which some remastered RBCD's are definitely worse than earlier CD versions.
I believe, that because they are made in Japan, from current engineers, from master tapes, that yes, they should be considered better when apples to apples.
One note, many of the MQA discs are the same music as previous Japanese SHM SACD's which gives you a little bit of a clue.
When I purchase an MQA disc I make sure it is not one of the many SHM SACD's I have as I feel it would be a waste of money, risk vs reward.
Someone said above that mastering is everything and I agree.

When I look for RBCD's via Amazon I always look to see if they have a earlier 1990's version, usually they are cheaper, and sound better than a 2000's RBCD, remastered with extra tracks.

What does all this mean, who really knows what the fuck it means, I am not interested in A/B'ing discs for a living, I'm not that good and nobody is paying me.

Thanks @marpow. Good information for me.

4ears Knew you would ask. A female singer modern era. Have to wait till Im home and look at the title......

Ok @4-earredwonder I remember now Rebecca Pigeon The Raven. That's my MQA Cd although I cannot find a listing for it so hope Im not misremembering.
Chesky Records only released 3 MQA CDs and that was one of them. The Fidelity is amazing. A 5 * Review from an Amazon verified MQA CD purchaser:

5.0 out of 5 stars I was amazed at how much better this disc sounded than the ...
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on December 12, 2017
Verified Purchase
If you haven't heard a decoded MQA file this is the disc to start with ( assuming you have an MQA capable DAC ) . I was amazed at how much better this disc sounded than the 192/24 version I've been listening to for years . I've heard " The Raven" dozens of times on high-end system ( it is a frequent demo disc used at CES ) but I have never heard it like this . Highly recommended .

Last edited:
@4-earredwonder I misspelled her last name that's why I couldn't find it. Stellar ratings on Amazon so I have a minority opinion. Which means I need to listen to it some more.......
But I do recall something about the higher frequencies was bothering me. Oh well

Yes your argument makes sense if they are choosing recordings already released as SACDS they must be confident in the sound quality comparison.

Back