MQA

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Sal1950

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I received this email today.
It doesn’t look like MQA is going away anytime soon.
Maybe not, but time will tell.
You'll know the end is near when MQA push back becomes strong enough for it to be an embarrassment to Stereophile, TAS, etc that they start looking to ways of backing out from their fan boy positions. Let the big boys hear you by avoiding the peddlers like Tidal and make it internet public why you're going somewhere else. ;)

ProgRules

701 Club - QQ All-Star
While READING ABOUT and EXPERIENCING FIRSTHAND any new formats can be frustrating ...... while the jury is out on the merits or demerits of MQA, I will continue to purchase these discs for their [IMO] superior mastering, MOST ESPECIALLY, discs that are not available in higher res formats or surround.
I'm glad you're enjoying them and not letting all our negative opinions affect you. Superior mastering alone is a great thing!

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Maybe not, but time will tell.
You'll know the end is near when MQA push back becomes strong enough for it to be an embarrassment to Stereophile, TAS, etc that they start looking to ways of backing out from their fan boy positions. Let the big boys hear you by avoiding the peddlers like Tidal and make it internet public why you're going somewhere else. ;)
SAL, Stereophile and The Absolute Sound have ALWAYS BEEN PRO ANALOGUE ..... READ VINYL. They desecrated DVD~A and SACD when they were introduced in the late 90's to early 00's ..... DESPISED IT. To Them VINYL will always be KING. Screw Them!

ProgRules

701 Club - QQ All-Star
SAL, Stereophile and The Absolute Sound have ALWAYS BEEN PRO ANALOGUE ..... READ VINYL. They desecrated DVD~A and SACD when they were introduced in the late 90's to early 00's ..... DESPISED IT. To Them VINYL will always be KING. Screw Them!
Actually, Stereophile reviewers often use MQA sources when evaluating equipment, from what I've read recently. Pretty much all the reviews include both vinyl and digital sources. They are obviously vinyl first, but they cover all the bases- including streaming. They've reviewed some 5 figure streamers.

Sal1950

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Very true, cause that's where the big bucks $ are in todays market.
But that being said they're still major MQA fans supporting the "it sounds better" line when it comes to digital.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
But that being said they're still major MQA fans supporting the "it sounds better" line when it comes to digital.
Well that's a refreshing TWIST. Stopped subscribing to both mags a few years ago. Tired of reading about VINYL. Well, there must be some merit to MQA if they both endorse it. STAY TUNED!

Sal1950

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Tired of reading about VINYL
I hear ya, that's about all they cover any more, a big waste of space.
But I still have subs for both, they're cheap these days being so heavily supported by the advertisers. Also Sound & Vision and Widescreen Review.
Sound & Vision had an excellent interview with Steven Wilson in this months issue (April-May)
I do enjoy the interviews and music release coverage along with John Atkinsons equipment measurements.
Besides, as the saying goes,
Keep your friends close,
And the enemies closer. ;)

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I would never buy anything displaying the MQA logo. No licensing fees from me to scammers. Shame on everyone who participates in this sham/scam.
I would not buy equipment , nor discs, nor files nor streams. Nuttin honey!

I disconnected from cable teewee ages ago for similar reasons. I don't want to send money to ESPN because I don't watch any sports. (I don't dislike them but I don't want to pay a subscription aggregated with a monthly charge because I don't care about sports. Be dull world, etc.)

I wonder why there has not been a class action lawsuit against these folks yet?

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Probably because its as distorted as vinyl :devilish::ROFLMAO:

........ which BTW I still listen to on my new Technics SL1210GR!
NB: perfect vinyl can have between 1%-5% distortion, depending on length of time of an LP side & volume level cut.

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
If a superior mastering job happens to be on one of these MQA disks, that's cool. Maybe not the part where they're trying to tie their stuff to hardware sales and all that. But if there's a best of show master on a MQA disk, that's matter of fact.

The problem is framing the situation as though a full fidelity format for audio is still well out of reach of technology. And then presenting a new format to address that misconception. It's coming across that way intentionally or not.

I think someone has to demonstrate a shortcoming of 24/96 if we want to talk expanded or whatever new formats. And with a master that has some fidelity. Too many modern releases that don't need any more than 8 bits. Poor sound isn't the fault of any format limitation.

Here's something you can do at home:
Take your favorite best sounding song in 24/96k.
Convert it to 24/44.1k.
Truncate it to 16 bit.
Now convert it to 320k mp3.

What do you hear?

Grab one of the more shrill things people are complaining about in 24/96k.

Which one sounds better?
Still think formats are the problem?

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
hmmm, tell me how you REALLY FEEL!!!!!!!
I love vinyl in spite of all its shortcomings
BUT
I still think that the 5 inch disc is a great starting point..from CD to DVD-A (RIP) to SACD (not bad but it was developed as an ARCHIVING media disc) and BDs (SONY's monster)..

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As I understand, whether it is lossy or not, MQA is trying to achieve two main adjectives:

1) Supporting the record company and/or artist by trying to convince them that they don’t need to give away their high res file(s) by reducing Bit Depth and Sample Rate of said original file(s) and using a specific decoder to the end user in order to hear this unfolded file without the consumer having access to the original digital file(s).

2) Try to remove distortion that is inherent when processing analog to digital or recording in digital. They are trying to achieve a more original ‘Live’ (analog) presentation.

Perpendicular

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
But the specs indicate it will ONLY play SACD in STEREO .......BAH! And NO MLP DVD~A .... DOUBLE BAH! And NO MQA .... TRIPLE BAH! And NO VIDEO FORMATS....QUADRUPLE BAH!
That’s why there are ‘Universal’ disc players. Though, I hear it is better to have a specific format player versus a universal format player because it can be designed specifically for said format, resulting in better read from the laser and better sound. Personally, I have no experience with this. So, the jury is out for me on that one.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As I understand, whether it is lossy or not, MQA is trying to achieve two main adjectives:

1) Supporting the record company and/or artist by trying to convince them that they don’t need to give away their high res file(s) by reducing Bit Depth and Sample Rate of said original file(s) and using a specific decoder to the end user in order to hear this unfolded file without the consumer having access to the original digital file(s).

2) Try to remove distortion that is inherent when processing analog to digital or recording in digital. They are trying to achieve a more original ‘Live’ (analog) presentation.
I would agree with (1) but on the grounds its really just another copy protect system.

But they would fail on (2) as digital is inherently better at accurately capturing and reproducing analogue signals than all analogue systems (and I'm saying this as an Electronic Engineer who loves analogue and I've designed more different analogue circuits than I have digital).

People may prefer the distortion of an all analogue system (from original tape through to loudspeakers) that is generated, but that is different. They reckon that the generation brought up with mp3 will always prefer it, as they like the sound. I like the sound of music recorded on analogue multitrack, but digitised then mixed into stereo/multi-channel.

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I love vinyl too and there would be something wrong feeling to not have an expensive vinyl setup in the house. I love 24 bit digital more.

These claims that talk about digital as though it pales next to the 78rpm Victrola...

JNL

This is still comparing the mastering work. The format difference is a red herring.

Prove it to yourself if you dare! :D
Take some 24/96 format recording you like and that you consider well mastered.
Convert it down to 44.1k with SOX.
Now reduce the bit depth to 16 bit. Don't even fuss with introducing noise signals (dither), just truncate the damn thing!

Now tell me if you can hear the difference between your reduction and the source.
Now you know why there are some "mastering engineers" that really need to explain themselves!
I did exactly that in my DAW a few weeks ago. I lined up both versions and flipped the phase on one of them. Result: complete silence at normal volumes (perfect null). I must say I was expecting to hear things but I didn't. With the volume knob at a dangerous level, only the slightest of hiss (really, really, really low) could be heard. You would never hear that when listening to actual music, not even during soft segments. My conclusion after this test was that 24 bits has been a great improvement only for the recording, mixing and mastering stage. But once the actual master has been completed, with all processing finished, 16 or 24 bits no longer changes things in terms of music sounding more or less musical. My conclusion too is that only poor mastering has ruined so many CD's.

Anyone else tried this? Did you come to the same conclusion, or a different one?

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
That’s why there are ‘Universal’ disc players. Though, I hear it is better to have a specific format player versus a universal format player because it can be designed specifically for said format, resulting in better read from the laser and better sound. Personally, I have no experience with this. So, the jury is out for me on that one.
That IS true, Perp. I'm over saturated it in this department having separate players for RBCD, DVD~A and Stereo SACD but truth be told, those TRUSTY OPPOs which play darn near everything are the only ones that play Multi~CH SACD, 1080p and UHD 4K FLAWLESSLY.

Last edited:

Owen Smith

400 Club - QQ All-Star
My Arcam DV137 plays multi channel SACD with no problems at all. I don't use it any more because it doesn't play Blu Rays, so I bought an Oppo 95. But prior to that the DV137 was a perfectly good universal player.