MQA

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

armyjazzer

MQA = Mafia Quarantined Audio

Created to extort money at every point in the distribution. None for me thanks!

I just cancelled my Tidal subscription. I will stick with services that just use uncompressed FLAC.

Owen Smith

400 Club - QQ All-Star
FLAC usually uses lossless compression. Why would you want your FLACs with no data compression?

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
FLAC is literally audio data compression. FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec
It doesn't "usually use" compression. It IS the compression!

I'll guess that was meant to say "lossless FLAC" with redundancy for emphasis.

armyjazzer

FLAC usually uses lossless compression. Why would you want your FLACs with no data compression?
Yes I meant to say Lossless compression. Sometimes I also use wave files with no commpression, but streaming services usually use FLAC.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Gotta say I don't know if I'll ever fully understand all these compression schemes of taking a fixed data size on a disc of just zeros and ones and unfolding into something with supposedly more data.

I started thinking this morning, isn't this something like MLP, and sure enough I see in wiki that that's who started MQA (maybe it's already been stated here somewhere upthread -sorry!)

I guess MQA uses something called "Cryptographic Hash Functions" and some Origami mumbo jumbo -oh it's cryptic alright :rolleyes:

The main problem for me is, I'd bet to hear any difference in this or even a regular CD you'd need really great hearing, as in a young person (that's not me anymore); if there's any credence to this stuff at all.

And why on earth would you want another codec that can, or might not fully decode?

A cryptographic hash function (specifically SHA-1) at work. A small change in the input (in the word "over") drastically changes the output (digest). This is the so-called avalanche effect.
1618683490596.png

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Gotta say I don't know if I'll ever fully understand all these compression schemes of taking a fixed data size on a disc of just zeros and ones and unfolding into something with supposedly more data.

I started thinking this morning, isn't this something like MLP, and sure enough I see in wiki that that's who started MQA (maybe it's already been stated here somewhere upthread -sorry!)

I guess MQA uses something called "Cryptographic Hash Functions" and some Origami mumbo jumbo -oh it's cryptic alright :rolleyes:

The main problem for me is, I'd bet to hear any difference in this or even a regular CD you'd need really great hearing, as in a young person (that's not me anymore); if there's any credence to this stuff at all.

And why on earth would you want another codec that can, or might not fully decode?

A cryptographic hash function (specifically SHA-1) at work. A small change in the input (in the word "over") drastically changes the output (digest). This is the so-called avalanche effect.
View attachment 66144
So MUCH for a DOG'S HEARING, PUPSTER!🐶

And yes, MQA was the brainchild of Meridian who did develop MeridianLosslessPacking!

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
When you have strings of ones and zeros for data, it turns out that you can find patterns to substitute for. There's a level of data reduction you can get away with where you can always 100% fully expand it back. Zip files work the same way. FLAC and MLP both reduce the size of a wav file to just over half. FLAC has special cases sort of where long strings of zeros - long sections of low audio levels or silence - take very little space. Dual channel mono is recognized and cuts the size in half again.

Another reason for data compression maybe not immediately obvious is limitations in the data stream size some hardware can deal with.

Anyway, we have full quality audio formats. Not only is HD like 24/96 bulletproof in every way, the low end of CD or mp3 is actually really close to HD. The biggest problem with sound is the amateur hour botched mastering prevalent throughout the major labels. Maybe instead of a defensive reaction with formats made to hide things or confuse people, just get your shit together a little bit?

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I guess they didn't make enough monyas on MLP.
Make NO mistake, Gene.....Meridian did a YEOMAN'S job with their MLP technology and did sell it to SONY which is NOW Dolby True HD. I was one of the VERY lucky ones to have purchased Meridian's REFERENCE DVD~A player [the 800] back in the early 00's and hearing MLP DVD~A on that player is a REAL treat. Leaves EVERY OTHER UNIVERSAL PLAYER's DVD~A playback capability in the dust.

See the source image

Last edited:

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I know that MLP is good. That contrasts with their behaviour relating to MQA.
no-mqa.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I know that MLP is good. That contrasts with their behaviour relating to MQA.
Meridian engineered their MQA technology most probably utilizing their reference Meridian 808 RBCD player which is acknowledged to be the best RBCD player on the market with their MQA decoders. Like the 800 DVD~A player, it's an amazing unit. I have the original 808 which also plays DVD~A STEREO only, as well. Again, it was engineered from the ground up to play RBCD so make no mistake, unlike ALL Universal Players [OPPO included] it probably will sound superior in that regard.

Once I get my ALL Meridian system fired up....I will issue a FULL REPORT! Until then, I will continue to buy MQA encoded CDs.

Pictured below is the Meridian Reference 808.2 Player which eliminates DVD~A Stereo Playback!

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Suit yourself. It's your money.
I myself will never ever buy anything that carries an MQA label or licensing fee paid.

no-mqa.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I like to know what I am getting for my money.
With MQA, you get audio quality reduced, Distortion added, Frequency response gyrations, Loss of data depth, unnecessary ultrasonics added. All documented above. No thank you!
I do look forward to the time, when the audio hacker hobbyists come up with software, to totally defeat MQA. As was done with SACDs which were supposed to be less copyable than RBCDs ,but there are now two different methods to "rip" them. MQA is just a DRM/Extortion method nothing more.
Memory and bandwidth are essentially free and unlimited nowadays and file size reduction is not very necessary, anymore. It's a major con job waiting for a class action lawsuit.
no-mqa.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
In the words of the great Robin Williams, ”You Can Fool Some Of The People Some Of The Time And Jerk The Rest Off”.
MOST UNFORTUNATELY FOR ALL YOU DETRACTORS [AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE] Meridian is hardly a fly by night company. They have always been at the forefront of cutting edge digital technology and doubtful they would release a SUB PAR codec at this late stage of the game and soil their reputation.

Since I personally AM heavily invested in Meridian equipment why wouldn't I take the plunge?

MQA IS NOT A TOY FOR 'BOYS' BUT RATHER A TECHNOLOGY FOR STOUT HEARTED MEN!

Last edited:

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Even good companies can take very wrong turns. They have trashed their previously excellent reputation.

no-mqa.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Even good companies can take very wrong turns.
And some 'listeners' can read ALL THE WRONG [BIASED] INFO!

Hey, it's YOUR MONEY and YOU can spend it as YOU WISH! No one is twisting anyone's arm!

How MANY times have we heard that SACD and SURROUND are DEAD FORMATS? Says WHO???????

gene_stl

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Audio Science Review is not biased and not wrong. In my not humble opinion , you are. MQA also does not fare well over at High Fi Haven which is a bit less scientific than ASR. But since you make that accusation you should go and look at Amir's reviews of D/A converters. The one in the Oppo 205 was the best one for quite a while. It has been exceeded more recently but when he first tested it , it was the best he had measured. It STILL is very high on the SINAD chart. Of course at ASR saying " I have listened to such and such piece of gear and it leaves others in the dust" will elicit a rather bad response unless it is accompanied by objective measurements. As I noted in a post there (regarding a New Yorker article on high end audio)
"That article was an educational introduction for yuppies who have lots of excess disposable income. Like many other hobbies ours is open to people who have more money than sense. Spending money at the audio salon is imagined to be equivalent to studying acoustics, electronics and music.
It is not.
His criticism of early digital makes me think he was one of those people who never heard highs before."
Post seven in New Yorker piece on audiophiles

no-mqa.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Audio Science Review is not biased and not wrong. In my not humble opinion , you are.
Not SO humbly, I disagree! With rabid anti~digital TAS and STEREOPHILE endorsing it, 2L and Evosound endorsing it as well as UMG/Warner Japan ...methinks the chips are in MY corner, Gene.

Are you a betting man?

See the source image