HiRez Poll Mr. Afternoon - The Golden Bonana (DVD-A/SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate DVD-A/SACD/IAA of Mr. Afternoon - THE GOLDEN BONANA

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 7 43.8%

Votes: 6 37.5%

Votes: 3 18.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
My copy arrived yesterday and I've only had to chance to sample a couple of tracks, but I really like what I have heard so far! Discrete mix, with some nice movement around speakers, and very cool instrumental music. Looking forward to digging deeper into this one.

I see no reason for me to vote any less than a 10. I really dig the vibe, the fidelity is super. Mix is pretty aggressive. The opening track has some crickets...then some startling stuff in the rear right that gets your attention right away.

This is some real (at times) chill jazz, which I love. At times, I do hear some influences (intentional or not).....one of the songs reminded me of Mike Oldfield, while Golden Bonana started out with reminders of Tame Impala. Very cool.

This is a solid release, I will surely play it often. :)

I am REALLY blown away and impressed by Mr. Afternoon's very first Surround Remix in bona fide MLP DVD~A 5.1 [48/24] The music is stunning and he REALLY REALLY 'gets' how an album should sound in 5.1. The music itself is lovely with an interesting variety of instruments and a melodious bent. And he wonders if he should submit this album for consideration in the Immersive Surround category for next years Grammys ..... What are you waiting for is my question?

I voted a 10. Good Show Mr. Afternoon!

Thanks so much for the kind comments everyone! I should clarify it's actually not a remix, as I designed the album FOR 5.1. The stereo mix is the 'remix' here.

About last night...
I smoked some prime strip steaks almost to perfection. Then I had a 'tini & Bonana for desert.

BONANA 2.jpg

Outstanding music, perfect for the evening. And the mix is a great example of having a well balanced soundfield with many discrete localization's. This is in my current top surround music choices, right there with Cornelius 5.1 and Yello: Point.

I also listened to the stereo CD through the Surround Master. Obviously not the same as the 5.1 mix but with a little pre-synth this stereo would soar.

A thoroughly enjoyable listening experience based on the musical content and surround mix!
It’s categorised as Fusion Jazz and has some major saxophone driving the music. But, it’s not the Mahavishnu Orchestra nor Kenny G, it is more chill out or ambient jazz. The closest thing in my musical library are the soundtracks of Hal Hartley.
Highly recommended and Mr Afternoon should be supported.
Quick comment, track 8 around 36 seconds seems to break up / be intermittent for around 5 seconds. I heard it on the download and now hear it on the 5.1 and stereo mixes on the dvd-a, not sure if this is intentional.
Nice waterfall photo but i’d love to have the briliant album cover as the background to the album playing.
Is there a way to play all 5.1 tracks including bonus tracks?
these are very minor comments.
Bonus point for the commentary tracks.

Back