Mr. Big “Lean Into It” - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
It’s been quite the long haul behind-the-scenes trying to get this off the ground, and I’m thrilled to finally share it with you all!

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lean-into-it-mr-big-5-1-flac-atmos-mkv-mp4/
I know a lot of folks have already invested in the 5.1 SACD of this title, but I can offer a few potentially compelling reasons to double-dip for the download:
  • The Dolby Atmos mix (previously exclusive to the streaming services) is now available in a lossless, ownable format.
  • The 5.1 mix is sourced from the original 96/24 PCM master, rather than an SACD DSD rip.
  • Two bonus songs, “Stop Messing Around” and “Wild Wild Women”, are presented in 5.1 & Dolby Atmos. I am not sure why these were left off the SACD, but they sound great in surround.
…and just in case you missed it, my September 2021 interview with Atmos mixer Chris Bell:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/qa-with-chris-bell-grammy-nominated-recording-mixing-engineer/

I’ve been having some troubles getting MKV/MP4 test files to play correctly through my system, but I think I’m going to grab this one and use it as my official “somehow, eventually we’ll make this work” files. As @LennonCobain said, the price is very affordable.

I was always a bigger fan of the first album, but Green-Tinted Sixties Mind was (to me) one of their best songs.

Looking forward to getting this work day done and then buying this.

Wow Jonathan,
I have seen blip's of IAA on QQ but have ignored them, another download site, big deal.
I saw Mr. Big today and took a deep dive.
Ordered and listening to Lean Into It-Atmos MKV as I write.
My experience:
Set up account: Easy
Ordered: Lean Into It, easy.

Now to Download: Could be easier, instead of downloading all of the MKV, MP4, or 5.1, the download process is track by track. I downloaded track by track of Atmos MKV and left the rest. I was bouncing all over the place as I did not realize when you download the track it goes away, duh, just took a moment to figure that out.
The biggest fix, if I may suggest, the right side page up/down bar which is clearly there in gray, when you bring your pointer over the bar, the bar goes away so you have to fight it a bit.

My PC Download Folder: All tracks there, add folder, named it Mr. Big-Lean Into It-MKV Atmos 2023. Moved all tracks into new folder. Opened up my NAS, copied new album to my special Atmos section in my NAS.
Opened JRiver, imported the new MKV Atmos file, landed exactly where it was supposed to, switched my JRiver to my PC HDMI output to Pre/Pro and listening now. Total time, first time, 7 minutes, will be 4 minutes next time.

I look forward to more orders, the platform kinds of reminds me of NativeDSD, but they are a little better in there process.
In this particular case I already had the 5.1 and have already played in car, so just the Atmos is all I needed. But others that I order with MKV ATMOS and 5.1 FLAC, I will download both.

Jonathan, are you involved in this company?

Overall, great experience with minor bug fixes, noted.

I was thinking of buying this, but the one by one song download is to complicated for me to handle, so I'll have to stick with Atmos streaming. :confused:

I was thinking of buying this, but the one by one song download is to complicated for me to handle, so I'll have to stick with Atmos streaming. :confused:
There is a "download all" button on the bottom-left corner:

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.51.11 AM.png

Jonathan, are you involved in this company?
Yes, I started there in June '21 and have since facilitated partnerships with artists & labels such as Rob Reed/Tigermoth, Snapper/KScope, Alma Records, and now Evosound. It's fun work, especially getting to do the interviews with people like Steven Wilson (still pinching myself over that one) and Bruce Soord.
Now to Download: Could be easier, instead of downloading all of the MKV, MP4, or 5.1, the download process is track by track. I downloaded track by track of Atmos MKV and left the rest. I was bouncing all over the place as I did not realize when you download the track it goes away, duh, just took a moment to figure that out.
The biggest fix, if I may suggest, the right side page up/down bar which is clearly there in gray, when you bring your pointer over the bar, the bar goes away so you have to fight it a bit.
Yes, I agree it's a bit cumbersome - I've voiced my frustrations with the development team a number of times now, hopefully an overhaul of the downloader app is on the docket for 2023. Please understand that the team behind IAA is very (very!) small and we're working as hard as we can to improve the experience.

There is a "download all" button on the bottom-left corner:

View attachment 87100
But you still have to make a folder, totally easy of course, for all the tracks to go into.
If you wanted to download all in this particular case you would need 3 folders, totally easy of course.
Maybe as it stands now, download all, and if you only want one version, make a folder for your one version, copy tracks into new folder and delete the rest, again super easy,
Whatever way a person decides it is less than minutes.

I bought the SACD with the 5.1 and it sounds great, but having the lossless version of the Atmos mix is intriguing. I listened to the lossy version on Tidal, and I can't remember how different it was from the 5.1. Are the height speakers engaged sufficiently well with this mix to justify a re-purchase?

Ohhh ohhh ohhh this is nice! I didn't even realize there were two extra bonus tracks on the Atmos version vs. the SACD. I just listened to the Atmos from TIDAL on my 5.1 system and did an A/B with the SACD, and the Atmos sounds kinda flat, softer and less dynamic in comparison, muted highs and less bass overall. But it's better balanced! On the SACD, the center was way too loud and I ended up lowering its volume. Anyway, do you hear any such difference between the Atmos and 5.1 available from IAA? Does the 5.1 from IAA sound identical to the SACD?

Probably springing for the 5.1 at least. Great catch, Jonathan!! IAA is awesome.

Might I request "Hearts Look Twice" by Steven Vidaic? I've been shying away from importing this SACD from the US to Germany. Really awesome album though, would buy the 5.1 in a heartbeat if it showed up on IAA.

Might I request "Hearts Look Twice" by Steven Vidaic? I've been shying away from importing this SACD from the US to Germany. Really awesome album though, would buy the 5.1 in a heartbeat if it showed up on IAA.
Do you know a good way to get in touch with him? I tried contacting via Bandcamp several times last year and got no reply. His website appears to be down as well.

There are a lot of discrete elements in the heights, including some backing vocals in "Never Say Never" and the swirling guitar solos in "Voodoo Kiss".
My wife came into my room as I was listening to Voodoo Kiss, asking me a question about our check book, She was in the room about 2 minutes when those top speaker guitar parts came in and she jumped and looked up, I laughed and said see what your missing.

Frustrating that IAA doesn't have a PayPal payment option. Likewise, I couldn't use my privacy.com CC's on this site - which is the first time I have ever experienced blocking of those kinds of cards. Download process is laborious. On the other hand, glad that IAA continues to make albums like Mr. Big available for download in 5.1 and Atmos!

Appreciate the cost difference is minimal, was really making the point that if the 5.1 mix is available to download independently why not also the Atmos mix. More options for prospective buyers and the cost difference for future releases might not be so insignificant.

Back