Mr. Big “Lean Into It” - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, glad that IAA continues to make albums like Mr. Big available for download in 5.1 and Atmos!
This release was a big step for me. I’m still struggling with getting the Atmos files to play properly on my system (FLAC is fine), but this was an album I used to own and the price was great. I had been familiar with IAA for a while, but hadn’t bought anything or set up an account until this week. If I can get my tech issues worked out, I could easily see myself doing more digital Atmos buying.

I can say for sure that it gets really easy if you hook up a laptop to your AVR via HDMI. Then simply select the output device in Windows (or Mac OS X or Linux), set it to 5.1 or what have you. Play back your files in VLC media player. It does any multichannel audio format you can imagine. M4A, FLAC, OGG, MKV, MKA, WAV, AC3, DTS, ISO and so on and so forth. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse set, Logitech has good ones for 30-40 bucks and play from your sofa :)

I can say for sure that it gets really easy if you hook up a laptop to your AVR via HDMI. Then simply select the output device in Windows (or Mac OS X or Linux), set it to 5.1 or what have you. Play back your files in VLC media player. It does any multichannel audio format you can imagine. M4A, FLAC, OGG, MKV, MKA, WAV, AC3, DTS, ISO and so on and so forth. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse set, Logitech has good ones for 30-40 bucks and play from your sofa :)
Thanks! Over the Christmas holiday I bought a new computer which means my old one might now serve as a... server. I tried a Plex server, and plugging in an SSD via the Bluray (which works great with FLAC) and a bunch of other ideas. But now with the freed-up computer... fingers crossed.

It was kind of frustrating... I downloaded some test files from different sites including IAA. Their MP4 test file wouldn’t work when trying to get it through my receiver, but I know it wasn’t their file since it worked in stereo mode on my computer. Yet other M2TS and MKV test files worked. In the end, it exceeded the boundaries of my patience and I put it aside for a while.

With Lean Into It now in my possession, a spare computer and your computer-to-AVR advice, this may be the weekend I finally crack this. If so, my shouts of joy will be heard throughout the land.

And if I do get it working, Remember the Audio by Monkey House is my next purchase.

It’s been quite the long haul behind-the-scenes trying to get this off the ground, and I’m thrilled to finally share it with you all!

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lean-into-it-mr-big-5-1-flac-atmos-mkv-mp4/
I know a lot of folks have already invested in the 5.1 SACD of this title, but I can offer a few potentially compelling reasons to double-dip for the download:
  • The Dolby Atmos mix (previously exclusive to the streaming services) is now available in a lossless, ownable format.
  • The 5.1 mix is sourced from the original 96/24 PCM master, rather than an SACD DSD rip.
  • Two bonus songs, “Stop Messing Around” and “Wild Wild Women”, are presented in 5.1 & Dolby Atmos. I am not sure why these were left off the SACD, but they sound great in surround.
…and just in case you missed it, my September 2021 interview with Atmos mixer Chris Bell:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/qa-with-chris-bell-grammy-nominated-recording-mixing-engineer/
Hey, you forgot to mention that "My Kinda Woman" and "A Little too Loose" are extended! How neat!

There is a "download all" button on the bottom-left corner:

View attachment 87100
The issue with this is that I only download the MKV files. This leaves all the others as part of the download all procedure. For example, here is a partial screenshot of what would download if I used download all after purching the new Mr. Big album. It's really unusable.

I also had to switch from Safari to Chrome just for the downloads.

The site is certinaly neat, but designed more for form than function and using technology that doesn't really serve the customer best. Simple is almost always best when considering ecommerce and someone spending money. I made the purchase, I just want whatever I purchased and I don't want a hassle or to wonder if I got everything.

Not being critical, just trying to offer some feedback. I love the concept of the site, just not the site :~)

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 1.13.21 PM.png

Oh my gosh... that was amazing.

Got the computer hooked up to the AVR and still have some funky issues with the IAA test files (won’t play anything in the rear and heights and when it calls out those speakers, the sound is just in the sides instead), but I decided to try the MKV of Green-Tinted Sixties Mind (my fav from the album) and it worked.

But it wasn't just the fact that it worked. In the rears during the chorus, there is an isolated vocal. Doesn’t sound like Eric. Don’t know if it was Paul, Pat or Billy.

It’s hard for me to explain... you’re hearing something new and unexpected in an album you’ve heard for decades. Maybe that voice was clear to some in the stereo version, but not to me. A totally new experience listening to this album. And that’s what I’ve loved with reissues in surround from the moment I heard my first one... hearing old music in a new and surprising way.

Thanks again @The Bright Side for helping spur me on to try this and @sjcorne for starting this thread.

(And while this was happening, my delivery came from Wine. com... some bonus joy for the day.)

I can play MKV files on computer but m2ts files play easy on USB.
I am about to DL this now.
Do any blu ray machines play MKV atmos files via USB>?

i
I support keep doing the way you do. The company that is.
It is pleasure to now own an Atmos mix instead of it being streamed only.
In case of this release it still is a bargain, especially when offered two versions of Atmos.
I highly support.
I agree. I appreciate this effort.

Oh my gosh... that was amazing.

Got the computer hooked up to the AVR and still have some funky issues with the IAA test files (won’t play anything in the rear and heights and when it calls out those speakers, the sound is just in the sides instead), but I decided to try the MKV of Green-Tinted Sixties Mind (my fav from the album) and it worked.

But it wasn't just the fact that it worked. In the rears during the chorus, there is an isolated vocal. Doesn’t sound like Eric. Don’t know if it was Paul, Pat or Billy.

It’s hard for me to explain... you’re hearing something new and unexpected in an album you’ve heard for decades. Maybe that voice was clear to some in the stereo version, but not to me. A totally new experience listening to this album. And that’s what I’ve loved with reissues in surround from the moment I heard my first one... hearing old music in a new and surprising way.

Thanks again @The Bright Side for helping spur me on to try this and @sjcorne for starting this thread.

(And while this was happening, my delivery came from Wine. com... some bonus joy for the day.)
So happy to hear it works out for you! :) And yeah, that album's surround mix is a real winner. And the album itself, too, of course! Real pleasure.

No. FLAC, MKV and MP4

FLAC are 5.1 Hi-Res 24 bit, 96 kHz
MKV are Atmos in Dolby TrueHD ==> same as on Blu-Rays
MP4 are Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos ==> same as streaming services like TIDAL

MKV has a still picture as video.
MP4 has no video. Same structure as M4A (only audio). But some players could not play well either M4A, MP4. Just renaming the file works OK for me for Oppo and DUNE.

I did buy this release, looking for the Hi-Res Atmos TrueHD.

For other releases in the past I have found more difference between streaming Atmos DD+ and its corresponding Blu-Ray.

But with this Mr Big from IAA, I have found less difference between Atmos DD+ and Atmos TrueHD than expected. May be my ears/equipment is the issue, or perhaps the mastering/encoding with DD+ is good enough.

Anyway, the Atmos mix will please lovers of discrete/moving sounds. The swirling guitar on the Tops reminds me the Atmos test file of the Helicopter :ROFLMAO:

Back