Mr. Big's self-titled debut album to be released as multichannel SACD from Evosound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just finished listening to the complete album, Duncan.
All good here.
I wonder what's causing your problem?
During the start of track 4 the music goes quiet from the 27 second mark to the 32 second one but that is, I believe, deliberate.
Over the years I have had a few SACDs that cut-out, with various players & amps, I thought at first they were down to disc failures. However, DSD requires DSP to convert to analogue as it needs Noise Shaping to work, and if the DSD stream is at or above the conversion limit the algorithm will go unstable (leading to popping speakers) this is what appears to be happening with my Mr. Big. It is all down to how the DSD-PCM conversion is done, so some players will be happy others will not, and I have found on other discs the Oppo cuts the audio but not the amp and vice versa. This is the first disc where both cut the audio at roughly the same points in time no matter which I select to handle the DSD to PCM. It could be a defective disc but currently I don't think so. So I have an Oppo 203 & Pioneer SC-LX86.

Over the years I have had a few SACDs that cut-out, with various players & amps, I thought at first they were down to disc failures. However, DSD requires DSP to convert to analogue as it needs Noise Shaping to work, and if the DSD stream is at or above the conversion limit the algorithm will go unstable (leading to popping speakers) this is what appears to be happening with my Mr. Big. It is all down to how the DSD-PCM conversion is done, so some players will be happy others will not, and I have found on other discs the Oppo cuts the audio but not the amp and vice versa. This is the first disc where both cut the audio at roughly the same points in time no matter which I select to handle the DSD to PCM. It could be a defective disc but currently I don't think so. So I have an Oppo 203 & Pioneer SC-LX86.
Well, I learn something new every day.

My player is a Sony X800 M2 (multi-region)
The receiver is a Marantz SR8012

On a side note, my first receiver was a Pioneer SC-LX 72. Still got it.

Maybe because the Oppo used higher end components which makes it uber sensitive to the conversion.

Still a pain in the butt, though.

Well, I learn something new every day.

My player is a Sony X800 M2 (multi-region)
The receiver is a Marantz SR8012

On a side note, my first receiver was a Pioneer SC-LX 72. Still got it.

Maybe because the Oppo used higher end components which makes it uber sensitive to the conversion.

Still a pain in the butt, though.
Its actually in the mathematics of the conversion algorithm, and how it handles 'hot' signal levels, so a digital-computational issue rather than a direct component one. For noise shaping to work there is feedback in the process, which means the system can be 'pushed' into instability, as in an example below.
CCF_000595.jpg

Its actually in the mathematics of the conversion algorithm, and how it handles 'hot' signal levels, so a digital-computational issue rather than a direct component one. For noise shaping to work there is feedback in the process, which means the system can be 'pushed' into instability, as in an example below.
View attachment 91854
Face it DUNC, there's a GREMLIN [🧙‍♂️] in your system!

Back