Multichannel 5.1 DVD Audio to binaural sounds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierro787

Hi,

Is it possible to convert a 5.1 multichannel DVD-Audio into binaural to be used with a headphones ?

I see 2 possibilites : a DVD-Audio hardware player wich could convert the 5.1 surround flux to binaural on the headphone output.

Or a RIP of a DVD-Audio into a 5.1 surround wav and then, convert this with tools to binaural audio.

Which method is the best for that or is there another way to convert 5.1 DVD-Audio into binaural sound ?

By The way, I have the same question for SACD 5.1 surround.

Thank you,

Pierre

Perhaps not quite what you are looking for but my main way of listening to surround before I got my 5.1.2 sound bar was using Windows built in surround downmixers. The way these work is by turning on one of the 3 systems, Windows Sonic (free… not great), Dolby Atmos For Headphones ($20… pretty good), or DTS:X For Headphones ($20… what I preferred) on your current audio output, it listens for a surround signal and will live down mix to a binaural signal for headphones. This works with any app and source that outputs a surround signal, from games (which it’s primarily marketed for), to VLC/PowerDVD, to Foobar2000 playing mutichannel FLAC and WAV files.

Late late reply, but you can use Virtuoso software on OSX or Windows to render any multichannel audio to binaural form for headphones (but you need something like Loopback on OSX or Dante Via on Windows to supply the separate channels to Virtuoso, plus you’d need to rip the DVD-A or other MCH source). The output could either be captured analog or perhaps with a redirect to something like Audacity.

A far more expensive option is a Realiser A16, which can take pretty much any MCH input (5.1, Atmos, DTS, Auro-3D, etc.) and output to headphones. You can capture the headphone output with an analog recorder. 3D Sound Shop has various speaker sets (“PRIRs”) to be used by the A16, and at that website you can try out various binaural recordings rendered this way via the owner’s A16.

Back