Multichannel Audio in Post PCI Slot World

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I am looking to potentially add 5.1 mixing to my new Dell XPS 8600 Windows 7 Ultimate box. It comes with a Realtec 7.1 output but has an annoying hum when turned up very much. There's all kinds of USB 2.0 interfaces providing lots of inputs but it's a struggle to find anything with 6 analog outputs so far. Any ideas?

The previous rig is a 2002 Dell XP Professional box with an M-Audio 1010LT that worked really well. I have experimented driving that PC from Dell XPS with remote desktop so that's a possibility, less than ideal.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would get a USB to firewire adapter, then look for an M-Audio Firewire 410.

But I own three of them and love them.

What's your budget, Tim?
Those built-in Chipset DAC are not worth the space they take up on the motherboard to my mind and I would keep away from consumer type if possible.
8 in 8 out is easy - RME, UA would be my preferences.
With UA you also get either a UAD-2 Duo or Quad built into the beast - and access to Universal Audio's peerless plugin set as well. Down side is that it retails around $2k.

If you can let me know (privately will do fine) what your real budget is and what you want it to be capable of, I can probably sort you out with a solid reference to get a good deal

Back