Multichannel File Server Options

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 2 "WD TV Live Hub 1TB Media Center" streamers with USB hard drives connected to them as NAS arrays, and use my Oppo BDP-103, PC+Foobar2000 or a WD unit for playback. I don not use DLNA, I prefer network shared directories & files, as it is more responsive and flexible. I also use an old Motorola Razr android phone connected with HDMI and a player called "Neutron" to play CD music without using the TV.

I wanna know more about multichannel playback with a server and files. Three two chan DACs might be the way to go for now. Can someone post a link to a thread on that subject. I saw nothing while looking at the a as forum on this.

I wanna know more about multichannel playback with a server and files. Three two chan DACs might be the way to go for now. Can someone post a link to a thread on that subject. I saw nothing while looking at the a as forum on this.

In a bid to answer some questions, I've posted a thread called "About multichannel playback with a server and files" in the segment called "Surround Sound - Non Format Specific Discussion".

LINK

Last edited:

Here's some earlier threads/discussions about Multichannel playback with a server and files:

Sneak peak: 1st consumer one-box DAC for multichannel computer audio....to DSD256!!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...C-for-multichannel-computer-audio-to-DSD256!!

Oppo Plays Multichannel DSD Files!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17494-Oppo-Plays-Multichannel-DSD-Files-!

Mytek Video: Multichannel DSD Playback at Home
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Mytek-Video-Multichannel-DSD-Playback-at-Home

First multi-channel DSD playback solution with Mytek and J River!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-DSD-playback-solution-with-Mytek-and-J-RIver!

This is helpful as I'm contemplating ripping all my physical media to a media center. I have seen good reports about J River. Does anyone here use it?

I've used JRiver for several years. It is dynamite. I will say this - their new version (20) has some great new features, including DPS per track. However it is still an early release and has a bug or two. Version 19, which you can also download if you buy 20 is absolutely rock solid.

I've used JRiver for several years. It is dynamite. I will say this - their new version (20) has some great new features, including DPS per track. However it is still an early release and has a bug or two. Version 19, which you can also download if you buy 20 is absolutely rock solid.

I'm using JRiver 19 here with the exaSound e28 as Kal R does. Works fine. Some of the competing media player apps are more complicated than JRiver so it's my go to program for DSD and PCM music downloads.

I agree on JRiver 20. Too buggy to use yet. Look forward to when it's more developed and mature.

How have you set the output number of channels?

Unfortunately, I'm not home to check right now...but I'm pretty sure that I've told it I have a 7.1 system. It will play 4.0 and 5.1 just fine, but 4.1 (i.e., the bootleg DSOTM DVD-A) and 5.0 (lots of other stuff) result in an error message.

The last time I fooled around with it, I found...umm...something that had a drop-down list of formats, I *think* with the ability to configure what got done with each. I wasn't surprised that something as odd as 4.1 wasn't on it, but found it strange that there was no 5.0.

In general, I find JRiver more useful to me for video and Foobar2000 still the champ for audio. Though with either, I find that sometimes attempting to play files from my NAS works just great and other times it's nothing but stuttering unless I copy the files to a local drive. I *shouldn't* have an issue with my network and mostly just want to blame W*nd*ws.

I really wish there was something out there as truly astonishingly great as the Squeezebox and its server but with the addition of multichannel capabilities. I really thought Logitech would eventually get there, but instead they just dropped the entire product line. The community has, to an absolutely astonishing extent, picked up the slack and come out with some wonderful replacement hardware (or rather, software adapted to existing hardware like the Wandboard), most of which includes HDMI. In my dream, that means that some day someone will add multichannel.

I had a similar problem (trying to play back 3.0 SACDs) but messing with the output settings finally made it work. It had/has to do with receivers not liking certain channel combinations, so you tell jriver to output everything in a 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever in your case) container. Turn off the fake surround upmix stuff, and you'll effectively be getting 2.0/4.0/4.1/whatever inside a 5.1 container with the unused channels padded with silence.

I had a similar problem (trying to play back 3.0 SACDs) but messing with the output settings finally made it work. It had/has to do with receivers not liking certain channel combinations, so you tell jriver to output everything in a 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever in your case) container. Turn off the fake surround upmix stuff, and you'll effectively be getting 2.0/4.0/4.1/whatever inside a 5.1 container with the unused channels padded with silence.

Thank you for the suggestion. Hopefully I'll have some time to play with it again this weekend. I doubt my receiver is to blame, but I guess you never know.

JRiver suffers from the blessing and curse of being highly configurable--the flexibility is welcome, but it makes it difficult to remember what setting is changed where!

hi guys I am still new to this form so I hope I am posting this in the right form, I have a 7.2 yamaha surround sound model RXv-s577 and I was playing one of my old DTS surround music discs. and I do not watch movies for this reciever. so soon as I pop in the disc it goes directly to DTS like it suppose to do.well when I play the DTS for some reason the sound hardly comes from the rear speakers. like on my other denon avr 1513 that I have in our living room I use to watch dvds and blu rays discs and I using polk audio speakers m15 the bookshelves speaker on both systems, and my yamaha surround in my room does not have a setting for dolby digital only dolby pro logic II X and other settings as I still new to this surround sound thing. I am use to the old quadraphonic recievers back in the 70's can any one help me to get the right settings?
take care
huggy

Nope, not the right 'thread' huggy- but check your manuals (player and receiver), probably set player for 'bitstream' output, make sure you have a digital connection and don't worry about dolby anything- DTS is a different beast, or at least format. The manuals are your friends, unlike random people on a forum they are filled with information pertaining to the specific equipment you own. Research them for how to turn up your channel volumes for the rears if that's really the only issue you're worried about. Try the index if all else fails.

There seems to be a whole lot of random data flying around above, not all of it relevant to your not-easily-extracted question. Your posts need fewer strung-together phrases and more sentences, if I may offer some constructive criticism. You'll get more help offered if people can tell what you're asking for help with. Good luck.

Back