Muse - Simulation Theory Film

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The promo e-mail I got for it says:

"Conceived and filmed at London’s O2 Arena in September 2019, the film directed by Lance Drake (who also directed all the promo videos for Simulation Theory album) follows a team of scientists as they investigate the source of a paranormal anomaly appearing around the world. Blurring the lines between narrative and concert film, virtual and reality, Muse’s most theatrical tour to date launches the viewer through a supernatural spectacle, questioning the world around us. "

Sounds interesting. I wonder if there will be a 5.1 soundtrack? Muse have dabbled with it (somewhat unconvincingly) in the past...

I have saw them 5 times in concert. IMHO they are in the same level about spectaculars live shows than Roger Waters or U2. A must have for me (but stand alone blu ray)
I agree. One of the best bands I've seen live. I've seen them at least three times, maybe four and they were spectacular each time.

I hope the 5.1 is better than the weak effort that was done for The Resistance. Very good live, but I've had enough of the mega venues that they use now, so I won't be going back to the O2 in London again! Their most enjoyable performance for me was on the 2009 Seaside Rendezvous in Teignmouth, Devon.

I hope the 5.1 is better than the weak effort that was done for The Resistance. Very good live, but I've had enough of the mega venues that they use now, so I won't be going back to the O2 in London again! Their most enjoyable performance for me was on the 2009 Seaside Rendezvous in Teignmouth, Devon.
I'm going to go back and have another listen of "The Resistance." (Yes, I was fortunate enough to get the limited edition box when it first came out :LB )

My recollection is that the mix was pretty good in a lot of places, though inconsistent and spoilt by being over-compressed.

My recollection is that the mix was pretty good in a lot of places, though inconsistent and spoilt by being over-compressed.
I have the box set too, but it's been years since I listened to the 5.1 DVD. It seemed to have had all of the energy squeezed out of it. I can remember getting bored by it but still enjoying the vinyl LPs...

Oh WOW, I just recently bought this (like a few weeks ago) for full price! Dang! Win some and lose some, as we've all likely felt.

Anyway - I was hoping that this was going to be the studio tracks mixed in 5.1 but it's actually a live show (I see now that better research would have told me that) on the blu-ray, which disappointed me at first in theory, but then I put it on and had one of those "sitting there involuntarily smiling" moments as I dug in—just awed by the scale and audacity of the whole thing; it's really fun and awesome (like seeing one of the very first ZooTV shows back in '93 and having no idea what to expect—that's kinda the vibe I was getting). It's also a live show with some filmed storyline vignettes in between (this may not be news to you, but I'm actually not super familiar with Muse—I saw them open for U2 on the 360 tour and dug it, but saw they had a few 5.1 mixes, listened to this title on streaming and loved it, and that's how I picked it up).

SO, my feeling is that the mix on this sounds as good (if not better) than any live show in surround. The audience isn't always present but kinda comes in and out... I'm not sure if 100% of what is happening audio-wise is actually happening in real time at the concert (at the very least they're playing with a significant amount of sequencers and pre-recorded material) and there's scored studio stuff over the vignettes, but there are definitely some elements of percussion and synths and things that are discretely mixed in the rears...on the whole it really sounds, and looks, fantastic and is great fun!

I don't know a whole lot personally about the specifics regarding compression issues and numbers associated, I only know when things sound squashed to me, and this doesn't. Also FWIW, the packaging of the super deluxe is also great nostalgic fun and I give this band a lotta points for this whole concept. I'm glad there are still artists (over)reaching like this!

Last edited:
Back