Music in 7.1 or >

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tornado Red

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi all, first attempt at a thread here. I have just the budding of an interest in what's out there musically in 7.1 sound or better (Auro 3D 9.1, and perhaps Dolby Atmos and DTS: X at some point). For formats I guess we're looking pretty much at blu ray, although there may be some HD DVD out there. So what I'm hoping for is to find if there any others starting to get into this area and would like to discuss the music they've purchased, or would like to. I only have 2 blu rays so far that come under this umbrella, both pictured here. Love them both, the classical pieces of Souvenir put you right in the concert hall, although I found the change from 5.1 to 7.1 to be subtle. Lichtmond 3 just blew me away. A bit new agey, some of the tunes are very catchy. And I've never heard music like this mixed so well through 7 speakers, just an awesome experience. Both also have Auro 3D 9.1 mixes as well. The prices are a bit high, another reason a nice open discussion here may prove fruitful for us all as we look to get the most info we can to make future purchases viable ones. I also have a large blu ray concert collection which includes two in 7.1 (Chris Botti in Boston and Joe Satriani in Montreal) but feel both of those are using surround use for crowd ambience, so I'd like to stick to just audio if we could. I'm currently running a 7.2 system myself, with no ability for Dolby Atmos or DTS: X yet, but would surely welcome the discussion if there is music out there for these surround formats. So music in 7.1 > whatcha got and whatcha want?

P.S. Thanks to Clint for pointing me in the right direction ;)

Attachments

• Souvenir.jpg
    Souvenir.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Licht.jpg
    Licht.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 245
Hi, there are two bd-a's out mixed by Ronald Prent in Auro 3D.

Mando Diao - Aelita
Tiesto - Elements of Life.

I have only listened to the stereo and 5.1, as that is the max I have. But Prent is a very good mixer, so the Auro would be great too I guess.

While searching I see that Ronald Prent also mixed the album Paramount by Ozark Henry in 5.1 and Auro 3D. This one seems the have flown under the QQ radar. i will create a new topic for this title.

Spes: "Cantus & Frode Fjellheim" Blu-ray features a 9.1 Auro-3D mix. I can't play the 9.1 version but it down-mixes to a 5.1 version which to my ears sounds a bit more immersive than the dts 5.1 MA mix which is also on the disc. Gorgeous music with the surround mix being used mostly to empasise the acoustics rather than surround effects. Well worth an investment if you like choral music. (y)

I own Tiesto, Lichtmond (all 3, in fact) and Mando Diao myself, and I love them all. Especially Lichtmond. It's mind-blowing.

I think the Blu Ray version of Ambra 3 - Prism of Life has a 7.1 track as well. Same guys behind this project as Lichtmond, very highly recommended.

All that said, I never got to check out the 7.1 or 9.1 tracks on any of those - only have 5.1 myself. Would love to.

I used all these as part of dipping my toe into immersive audio (ATMOS, Auro3D) and, in various ways, each makes a case for implementing height channels. Well worth the investigation.

Hi!
Last month I made a 7.1 mix of our electronic progressive ambient album Metastasia.
See more and listen at: https://odysseymusik.bandcamp.com
The number of instruments and effect tracks are not far from a small symphonic orchestra, so 7.1 works fine.
We got 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 24bit flac files ready for those who are interested.

I have only 5.1 in speakers but got the surround headphones Asus Strix 7.1 (with 5 units in both sides) few month ago.
I guess all in here have at least 4.0 speaker systems and surround headphones may not be needed. Unless you'll like to hear nice/loud surround music without any fights with flat mates;)
7.1 headphones could also be a very good gift for birthday/x-max and people who don't have surround systems yet!
I looked after other surround headphones, but the others was said to work with dolby digital, so I guees Asus Strix 7.1 was the best to get for around 200 euro 2 month ago. I like them and have made a review here: http://www.janprintz.dk/anmeldelser/Strix7_1_review.html

Back