Music Media Helper: New Tool for Channel Volume Editing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I have just added a new tool for MMH that enables editing of channel volume (gain) for multiple files in batch:

This tool supports FLAC and WAV files: mono, stereo and multichannel (up to 8 channels).

Standalone tool - you can load any number of files or all files in a selected folder: (no limit to number of files or folders, just keep scrolling down to view each file’s channel volume stats):
This new Channel Volume tool is also in the Penteo Tool, where it auto loads all files in a selected folder in the Penteo Tool grid.

VolumeGain2.PNG

In either case you can update an individual FLAC or WAV file in the dialog by clicking its 'Apply Gain' button or you can update all the files in the dialog using the 'Apply Gain (All Files)' button at the bottom of the dialog (MMH will only processes files with at least one channel with a Gain <> 0).

There is an option to either Overwrite the original file or to auto create an updated copy of the original in a sub-folder under each file's Source folder (any tagging is also copied).

EDIT: Now released in 3.9.0

Last edited:
I have also added an option to copy channel gains from the first file in the view to all others to make it easier to do things like apply same gain (volume) adjustments to all the surround channels or LFE etc.

Last edited:
Interesting, so if I for instance have a release where the center is mixed very high, rather than adjusting my volume levels I can adjust just the volume on the track with MMH?
It’s tiresome to adjust the levels all the time depending on big mixing variations.

Last edited:
Yes. You can use this new tool in MMH.

Select the album folder, MMH loads all the FLACs (every song in the album)

In your example:

Set the C level -3.0db in first file control only, click 'Copy First File Gain' and MMH copies '-3.0db' to every file's C gain.

Now click: 'Apply Gain (All Files)' button:

MMH updates all existing FLACs (or creates new FLACs with same file name and tags, depending on Output option) with Gain(s) applied to C channels (-3.0db)

Easy and a permanent volume change.

EDIT: On my PC this is quite fast, but I have NVME SSD drives (much faster than conventional SSD drives, and much, much faster than conventional spinning Hard Drives)

One question, I have updated MMH and currently try out this tool, I get as far as adding the file and then try to do a manaul gain increse, but the bar below (greyed) only shows up briefly and then disappears, it does put put a new file but it is identical to the original file. Also I can't believe my old budget laptop is that quick (it's a mili second really). Small screen
screen.jpg

Doesn’t matter if I try replacing existing file or new folder/file. Same result, a quick bar shows up after I click Apply Gain and then disappears, the result is identical as the old file, at least from what I can detect in Audacity and foobar.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if it’s the Euro region decimal that’s the problem. Let me check that out today. It happened on another tool years ago. I forgot all about it. Apologies.

Tried two computers, tried two windows 10 versions (1903 and 2004) and same result. Thanks if it can be looked into.

I've had a request from an MMH user to add 'Target' volumes to Music Media Helper's Volume (Gain) tool and I've just implemented something in the latest MMH 5 beta release.

This is the new Volume/gain editing dialog:

VolumeGain3.PNG

At the bottom left there are three new 'Target' inputs. Users can set a Target for Fronts, LFE and Rears.

Click the: 'Apply Target Gain' to get MMH to calculate the gain to apply to reach the Target gain.

NOTE: For Fronts and Rears MMH looks for the highest Peak value for all channels in each respective group and calculates new gain from the max peak to the Target entered. Then ALL channels in that group have same gain applied so as to keep current volume balance within that channel group.

See the above screen shot where Front Target -0.5db, LFE is -10db and Rears -3db. This screen shot shows the Gain values MMH calculated after clicking 'Apply Target gain' (that should be renamed 'Calculate target Gain' as it does not save the gain with that button... (it will change in official release).

You can get this MMH 5 beta with this new feature from link:
EDIT: MMH 5.0.4 now released

NOTE: MMH 5 requires the Microsoft .NET 5 runtime

Other changes in this Beta version:
Version 5.0.4 beta 2 (July 25 2021)
-------------
Changes:
Channel Volume tool: Added new 'Target' feature for Fronts, LFE and Rear volumes - new
Channel Volume tool: Added 'Clear' button to clear previously loaded files - new
Channel Volume tool: Now supports display of more files when dialog is maximised - new
Channel Volume tool: Now loads files much faster (uses multi threads) - new
Channel Volume tool: Updating Volume now processes multiple files concurrently (faster) - new
Channel Delay tool: Added 'Clear' button to clear previously loaded files - new
Channel Delay tool: Now supports display of more files when dialog is maximised - new
Resample Audio tool: Updating file now processes multiple files concurrently (faster) - new
Remix Channel Layout tool: Updating file now processes multiple files concurrently (faster) - new
Update download from within MMH5 now faster (after installing this version)

Last edited:
The next MMH 5 version Beta has been updated today (same link as previous post):

Version 5.0.4 beta 3 (July 27 2021)
Changes:
Channel Volume tool: Added new 'Check Disparity' feature to compare Fronts and Rears volumes - new

VolumeGainCheckDisparity.PNG

I added a new 'Disparity Check' to look at the differences in channel Volume (RMS) between fronts and rears - FL & SL and FR & SR.

I know many here like to set there surrounds 3db lower than fronts. This Check allows a user to enter any value from (0 to 9db) in the F/R numeric box and MMH will runs a quick check for all files loaded and highlight surround channels that have a disparity of greater than the entered value for each file (see red above).

Users can then apply channel gain as required. (I guess this tool could eventually fully automate this and just go ahead and apply gain as defined. Not just yet though...)

THX
Garry

Here's the final updated Volume dialog:
VolumeGainTargetGain.PNG

I've added a Centre channel Target and removed C from the Front target calculation (a user request).

MMH 5.0.4 is now released with these new Volume Target and Front/Rear Volume Disparity Check features.

As I've implemented multi-threaded processing in this release, loading and updating volume for multiple files is now MUCH faster that previous versions.

Last edited:
Awesome tool mate! Just one question. Can you encode to MLP? Not a biggie but it would help when creating DVD-A. Cheers.

Last time I tried encoding MLP with MMH it left a small click at regular intervals so I abandoned further work. I may try again at some stage. Short answer ‘No’.

BTW: I’m working on further improvements to the Channel Volume tool so should be one more ‘final’ version in next couple of days.

In the latest MMH version (5.0.5) just released the Channel Volume tool's 'Target Gain' calculation has been changed by user request to be similar to SpecWeb's ZAG where C, LFE and Surrounds gain is now calculated relative to the front channels. (originally this was released set to absolute values).

Here's an example to the latest version after relative Target Gains have been calculated:

VolumeGainTargetGain.PNG

From the updated PDF docs:
-------
In the example (above) LFE is set to -10db so MMH calculates the gain required to change LFE to -10db below the current Front channel RMS volume. For Rears MMH calculates the gain required to make the surrounds RMS -3db below Front channels RMS.

If the Target Front gain is set to 0 front gain is not changed (except MMH balances to L & R to be same RMS volume). If Target Front gain is set to any value other than 0 MMH first calculates Front gain required to set Front L & R to that absolute Peak value, then calculates the other channels relative to the new Front volumes using the RMS values. MMH attempts to match RMS values in these calculations but always ensures Peak values are not clipped (i.e. Peaks are < 0).

For channel groups Front (FR and FL) and Rears (SL, SR; and BL, BR if 7.1) MMH uses the RMS in the calculation and applies balance gain to all channels in the channel group. Users can increase/decrease gain manually on a channel-by-channel basis at any time.

NOTE: To maintain volume difference between album tracks it is recommended that users do not set a Front Target Gain as this would change all Fronts to same RMS value which is probably not the original artist/mixing engineer’s intention.

NOTE: Target Gain Calculation does not change any gain in a file, it only sets the Gain value in the dialog. ‘Apply’ must be used to update/save volume in each file.

Last edited:
Another update to the MMH Volume tool's Target gain is coming:

I've added a new option checkbox 'Target Individual Front Channels' (default is off)

When unchecked (off) MMH works as previous release and MMH first calculates gain required to make front L & R the same RMS volume (balanced) and uses the value as the Target RMS volume for all other channels.

When checked (on) MMH leaves the original Front channel volume difference (if any) and then uses the front left RMS volume as the Target RMS for all rear left channels (1 for 5.1, 2 for 7.1) and front right RMS volume as the Target RMS for all rear right channels. It uses the average front RMS volume as RMS Target for C and LFE channels.

With Target 'Individual Front Channels' on, volume matching will more closely match the original surround mix.

To see how this works look at the second track in the previous posts screen shot vs second track in screen shot below. You can see the calculated Gain in first will make front L & R volumes same and Rear L & R volumes same. Below, with 'Target Individual Front Channels' on the calculated Gain will leave the front and rear channels with a slight difference in volume (fronts will not match and rears will not match).

Dialog with MMH 5.0.6 (to be released later today):
VolumeGainTargetGain2.PNG

More changes in latest 5.0.11:

Moved the Target Gain controls to a new side panel menu
Added new 'User Defined Folder' option for output files
Added new 'Processes' option so users can set the number of files to process concurrently (faster processing with decent hard drive)

New User Defined Folder output option and new Processes:
VolumeNew.PNG

New Target Gain Side Panel menu when opened (This screen shot updated at version 5.0.19 showing new Peak Limiter and DR updates):
VolumeGainTargetGain.PNG

Last edited:
[Edited 2021-10-1]:

The new 5.0.12 release of Music Media Helper adds a DR (Dynamic Range) meter to the Channel Volume tool for FLAC, WAV, DSF, MK4, MKA and MKV files:

Here's a screen shot with DSF, FLAC, M4A (Atmos) and MKV (DTS-HDMA) files added with DR values: DSF DR correctly ignores silent channels and DSF channels with low level noise whisch cause the Foobar DR meter to incorrectly calculate silent channel DSF release, including FLAC converted from SACD:
DRwithAllFiles.PNG

The DR color coding is based on recommended DR range on the Loudness War DR database: Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Volume can only be changed for FLAC and WAV files. (The Apply Gain command ignores all other file types).

The Waveform viewer also supports all the above file formats. Here's an example for an MKV concert video file:
MMHWaveformsMKV.PNG

MMH 5.0.12 is now released with the new Channel Volume tool above

EDIT 2021 Oct 1: New MMH 5.0.18 adds a basic file Player to this Volume tool to more easily compare source and volume remixed files (if not using the ‘overwrite’ output option

THX
Garry

Last edited:
Back