• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Music Media Helper: New Tool to aid Penteo upmixers

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
The new 'Update Penteo Files' tool added in MMH 3.8 automatically tags Penteo upmixed FLAC files, renames the files, updates album art and (optionally) remixes Quad upmixes to 5.0 or 5.1 (silent channels added for quads for compatibility with many AVRs).

This tool was added for Penteo upmixers to ease the pain of tagging the new multichannel files created from input files after using Penteo. Batch Penteo upmixing is hands off and easy but tagging the files is very much a time consuming and tedious effort, if you are upmixing many albums! Not any more!

For the tool to work as designed:
1. All input (typically stereo) files must be in wav format (as recommened by Penteo)
2. All input files must be tagged (Converting tagged stereo FLACs to WAV in Foobar tags the WAVS)
3. The Penteo output files must be FLACs
4. The input (wavs) and output (FLACs) must be in the same (album) folder

NOTE: Reaper has a Batch Mode that can be setup to do 3 and 4 above.

5. The tool can recursively load all the music folders that conform to the above rules into the tool's grid (showing basic info)
7. After loading your upmix folder(s) (The tool checks for valid files and shows any issues stopping the process on that album folder)

8. User can edit two tags for each album: Comments and Album name. These update copied tags.

Clicking 'Process Files' does the following

- For each input wav file in each album folder:
--- Copies the tags from WAV to corresponding MCH FLAC
--- Tags album cover art (if a file 'folder.jpg' or 'cover.jpg' exists in the album folder) into the FLAC
--- Renames the FLAC file based on user preferences ('Title' or 'Artist - Title' both with track prefix)
--- Checks if FLAC is 4 channel (quad) file and if so remixes added silent channel(s) based on a user preferences

Each Pento upmixed file is Tagged, renamed etc and ready for use.

The tool also has a recursive 'Delete all wavs' command to clean up all the input wavs, leaving the album folders with just the mch FLACs and art.

Examples:

Here's one of the album folders after a Penteo UM: (upmixed FLAC files are untagged - wavs are the input files)

Here's the same folder after running the new Penteo Tool: (FLACS are tagged and renamed)

Here's another view of the folder showing cover art has been tagged in the FLACs:

In this example all the files from the 5 ‘good’ album folders were processed in only a few seconds (on an SSD drive)

Here's the user preferences dialog:

Here's information on an error found during selection of folders to process. Hover mouse over error icon and you see the problem:

This new tool is available in the new Music Media Helper 3.8 release which is now online.

THX

Last edited:

HomerJAU

Staff member
Although I’ve called this a Penteo tool it will work with SpecWeb and other upmixers since only requires wav and FLACs to be in the same folder. Wav tags get copied to FLAC tags etc, regardless of their origin. All the rules still apply.P

HomerJAU

Staff member
So here's a few more screen shots of the next MMH update with version 2 of the Penteo/Specweb Tagging tool:

The main updated feature is adding support for finding and tagging Album artwork (both cover art and disc art):

Find Album Art from the Fanart.Tv website:

Smart/Fuzzy Search for album art on your PC or network (including NAS and external drives):

To save any of the album art images to the album folder, simply double-click on the image. If its cover art, it will be tagged to the FLAC when the files are processed.

To setup the Smart Search go into the Artwork Search Preferences dialog and add all the root music folders that may containing album art for other versions of the same album:

So in my screenshot above I have set 3 possible folders that could have album art for my new Penteo upmixes:
1. The original Stereo root folder with all my stereo FLAC albums
2. The Penteo UM folder where I keep all my completed upmixes for playback (I often redo one again, so the artwork will be there already)
3. My new Penteo UM testing folder. This is where I put all my UMs to listen to, sometimes maybe two or three of same album from different sources.

For this to work. MMH looks recursively through every sub-folder in every user set Root folder for a Full Folder Path that contains both the ARTIST and ALBUM names.

Examples that will be found for the ARTIST: Midnight Oil ALBUM: Diesel And Dust (The search is not case sensitive)
E:\stereo\Midnight Oil\Diesel and Dust\folder.jpg
E:\stereo\Midnight Oil\Diesel and Dust (1990)\folder.jpg
E:\stereo\old albums\Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust (CD)\folder.jpg

The latest version of this Penteo Tagging Tool also adds:
Double-Click on 'Cover Art' or 'Disc Art' cell in the grid opens the Album Art dialog and displays any artwork already in the album folder
Double-Click on any other cell in the grid open the album folder in Windows Explorer (easy access)

Other new Features:
Version 3.8.2 also adds Search, Selection and Tagging of Cover Art in MMH's Musicbrainz Tagging dialog (Renaming Tool):

Last edited: