Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some that don't recognize immediately that when converting from a lossy to lossless format, that it doesn't change the quality.
That you and I know that, doesn't mean everyone gets it right off.
I don't post to make myself the arbiter of anything, just trying to be helpful.
Of course I understand what is being discussed here, but it has made me think: SD images are often 'upscaled' to HD. I wonder if something like this is possible with audio?
- upscaling is not perfect but usually makes for a better than SD image (but less than HD)
- it must work by interpolating (?) i.e. filling in the 'gaps' based on a reasonable guess using an algorithm. This feels understandable in visual terms, we can often see ourselves what 'needs' to be added. But in audio terms, maybe it is impossible because we don't know and can't reliably infer what has been thrown away in the compression process.

But it seems plausible that it might be possible to 'upscale' audio from an mp3. (However, I save everything as Flac but tbh if it was really saving it at 128 mp3 quality I have to admit I might not notice much, so I'm hardly going to notice a more subtle upgrade!)

Or is this already a thing and it has passed me by? 😀

Of course I understand what is being discussed here, but it has made me think: SD images are often 'upscaled' to HD. I wonder if something like this is possible with audio?
- upscaling is not perfect but usually makes for a better than SD image (but less than HD)
- it must work by interpolating (?) i.e. filling in the 'gaps' based on a reasonable guess using an algorithm. This feels understandable in visual terms, we can often see ourselves what 'needs' to be added. But in audio terms, maybe it is impossible because we don't know and can't reliably infer what has been thrown away in the compression process.

But it seems plausible that it might be possible to 'upscale' audio from an mp3. (However, I save everything as Flac but tbh if it was really saving it at 128 mp3 quality I have to admit I might not notice much, so I'm hardly going to notice a more subtle upgrade!)

Or is this already a thing and it has passed me by? 😀
A good way to interpolate audio is to zero pad the original data, i.e. insert zero's between known samples, (I'm looking at doing this in an FPGA to get round a Comms system data rate mismatch) to reach the new sample rate and then filter (to remove the images), you can't add information so the resolution/quality doesn't improve, but it makes the filtering easier/better. You can use an algorithm to curve fit between the samples, but you're creating something that wasn't there. Decimation, so reducing the sampling rate actually adds resolution (not accuracy though) - as sampling is essentially modulating a signal with the sampling waveform, so data is still there, but 'hidden'.

Music Media Helper 6.1.3 released:

Version 6.1.3 (July 23 2022)
-------------
Fixes:
Channel Volume tool: Viewing Waveforms for 16 bit files failed (if file not wav) - fixed
Channel Volume tool: Some channel stats not displayed when using Windows Scale & Layout > 100% - fixed
Extract Audio from MKV/MKA/M4A tool: Title and Artist tags swapped if converting with Drag & Drop (bug created in 6.1.0)
Fixed issue MMH Update Download folder location that may occur on some PCs

Last edited:
Music Media Helper 6.1.4 released:

Version 6.1.4 (July 23 2022)
-------------
Fixes:
6.1.3 Broke the MMH Auto Updater - fixed
If you installed 6.1.3 you may have to download and run the installer from this link:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/MMHInstaller.msi
Minor UI improvements - Some 'Complete' dialogs now auto close after 5 to 10 seconds depending on content
Channel Delay tool: Some channels not displayed when using Windows Scale & Layout > 100% - fixed

Calling all MMH Channel Volume tool users.

I've been looking at adding individual (mono) channel playback in the MMH Channel Volume tool, to allow users to isolate channels to listen to what's in the mix.

I thought I'd post this with my first clunky effort (alpha). It does plays any selected channel by Double-Clicking on the Channel you want to hear:

An early 6.1.5 alpha build:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/beta/MMHInstaller.msi
NOTE: It plays the currently loaded file, so if you want to use this it would be easiest to use the Overwrite Output option as it reloads the file just updated as soon as the gain changes have bee applied. The 'Play' button on each file control still plays all channels.

A new alpha build with the following:

Version 6.1.5 alpha 3 (July 27 2022)
-------------
New:
Channel Volume tool: Double-Clicking on a Channel name will play the channel alone (in mono)
Channel Volume tool: Added new option to play specific channels: All, Fronts only, Front Stereo (no centre), Sides only (see screenshot below)
Channel Volume tool: Play is now audio only (no pop-up).
Channel Volume tool: If a Remixed file exists for current session. Users can create Waveform for Source or Remixed file
Channel Waveform Viewer tool: Optimisation for better performance

Fixed:
Channel Waveform Viewer tool: Time labels prefixed with 0 hours (hours not needed) - fixed

The new Channel control has a new 'Channels to Play' dropdown. If a user changes this during playback MMH continues playing the current file but with the newly selected channels only played (in their correct speakers):

NewChannelControl.PNG

Playing a new Channel or File stops the current playing channel or file. 'Stop' obviously stops the current file or channel playback.

6.1.5 alpha 3 build here:
Edit: Link removed now in beta (see below)

I will add playback to the MMH Waveform viewer and release the new 6.1.5 version after further beta testing. Any feedback most welcome.

THX
Garry

Last edited:
A new MMH 6.1.5 beta 1 version now with a Play option in the MMH Waveforms dialog.

New Play controls added to top right
Double-click on any wave while playing and the player will jump to that time.
Use the 'Channels to Play' dropdown to select the channels to output during playback
Moving the mouse around now shows a vertical line with exact sample time

I changed the Channel Volume dialog‘s ‘View Waveform’ button when a user has mixed to the Remix folder, if you want to view the Remixed or Original file’s waveform. So you can now create the two waveforms (two windows) for a visual comparison.

WaveFormPlayer.PNG

Still some minor tweaks before official 6.1.5 release.

I discovered today while doing this new installer that yesterday's alpha 3 was not built correctly. That's now fixed in beta 1.

6.1.5 beta 1 build here:

THX
Garry

Last edited:
A new MMH 6.1.5 beta 1 version now with a Play option in the MMH Waveforms dialog.

New Play controls added to top right
Double-click on any wave while playing and the player will jump to that time.
Use the 'Channels to Play' dropdown to select the channels to output during playback
Moving the mouse around now shows a vertical line with exact sample time

WaveFormPlayer.PNG

Still some minor tweaks before official 6.1.5 release.

I discovered today while doing this new installer that yesterday's alpha 3 was not built correctly. That's now fixed in beta 1.

6.1.5 beta 1 build here:

THX
Garry
Thanks Garry.

I haven't tested the beta release yet, but does it work with 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 file only, or even with wav files with more than 8 channels?

The Channel Volume tool works with most file formats (codecs) with any number of channels from mono through to 7.1. It only works with wav over 8 channels (max 12 = 7.1.4).

You can edit gain for FLAC and WAV only.

The Waveform viewer works with max of 8 channels. I should change to support 12 in this next release.

The Player works for any file format (codec) but if it’s Atmos or DTS:X it only plays the 8 channel ‘core’ (or 6 if the core is 5.1).

Last edited:
New MMH 6.1.5 beta 2 build here:
  • Fixed an issue reported with slow response when Channel Player running in Waveforms dialog.
  • Changed the 'Sides' to 'Rears' in Channel selector dropdown
  • Latest 3rd Party UI components released today now included
  • The installer is now smaller.

Another MMH 6.1.5 beta release, probably the last before the official 6.1.5 release:

6.1.5 beta 3 build here:

Changes to Channel Waveform Viewer tool:
  • Double-Clicking on a Channel will play the channel alone (mono) if multiple channels are not playing
  • Double-Clicking on a Channel when a single channel is playing will play the new channel clicked on
  • FLAC files load a little faster as MMH now reads samples directly from FLAC files, previously converted a temp WAV file.

This is the final beta release for upcoming 6.1.5. If no major issues are reported I'll release the official 6.1.5 in next daya or two.

6.1.5 beta 6 build here:
(Link removed: Now released as 6.2.0)

Changes since last beta:
Channel Volume and Channel Waveform Viewer tools: Added a new Player control (see top-right in dialog)

1659334792077.png

The Button (icons) from left to right:
  • Play (all channels)
  • Play by channel group: A dropdown list of: All, Fronts only (Stereo), Fronts only (all), Rears only (and Sides only if an 8 ch file)
  • Stop
  • View Waveforms
Other changes:
  • I think I've fixed a problem (not hearing rears) when connected via HDMI to AVRs that don't like silent quad (4 channel) files.
  • Updated logic when playing in the Channel Volume dialog. If you use any play method (except the main Play button) while playing will continue at player's current time. Stop reset to the beginning.
  • Channel Volume dialog now highlights current playback channels (based on the users's playback method)
Main Play button (all channels):
NewVCplayback1.PNG

Selecting the 'Rears Only' play option from the ‘Play by Channel group’ option, rear channels play:
NewVCplayback2.PNG

Double-clicking on the LFE channel, subwoofer plays:
NewVCplayback!ch.PNG

Last edited:
Another beta 6.1.5:

6.1.5 beta 8 build here:
(link removed: now released as 6.2.0)

Changes since last beta:
The new Player Control's 'Apply' button was inactive - fixed
Player would not play 88.2kHz audio correctly (crackle) - fixed
Waveform failed if loading high res Dolby TrueHD streams - fixed
A ‘double-click’ action on a Channel Volume control’s ‘Gain (db)’ label to reset all channel gains in that file’s control to zero. (Just the gain value in the control, not in the file)

Known Issue (to be fixed prior to release): - Player fails to play Dolby TrueHD streams

Latest updated docs with latest changes here:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/beta/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf#page106

Last edited:
Hi Guys, is there a way to save a cue sheet that works with a single file, rather than the one that lists all the file names individually?

The reason I ask is that I use cue sheets to split the TrueHD Atmos 12 channel WAV files I create. If MMH could look at the MKV and create a cue with chapter times for each track, it would be amazing. I could then avoid heavily editing the cue file it currently creates.

If I’m not clear enough, please let me know.

A new MMH Release Candidate: It will be officially released as 6.2.0 since new functionality was added. Same link as previous (a couple of posts back).
  • Atmos/TrueHD playback now working
  • I reworked the Channel Player and it's now louder when running selected channels
  • A few minor UI fixes
  • Updated Docs
Question: Should I add new Preference to play a single selected channel (mono) in its correct speaker? Currently it's routed to Centre speaker.

I want to do a couple of other minor tweaks so maybe an official release tomorrow, depending on feedback from users.

THX

A new MMH Release Candidate: It will be officially released as 6.2.0 since new functionality was added. Same link as previous (a couple of posts back).
  • Atmos/TrueHD playback now working
  • I reworked the Channel Player and it's now louder when running selected channels
  • A few minor UI fixes
  • Updated Docs
Question: Should I add new Preference to play a single selected channel (mono) in its correct speaker? Currently it's routed to Centre speaker.

I want to do a couple of other minor tweaks so maybe an official release tomorrow, depending on feedback from users.

THX
An option for routing to the correct speaker could be a useful Test Tool for a System

Back