Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just moved all posts related to the new MMH Atmos Helper's Atmos Decoder to a new thread in this section:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...os-decoder-beta-discussion.33488/#post-670640

Here's the release announcement in the original post that sparked the discussion:

Music Media Helper 6.3.13 Released:

Version 6.3.13 (January 18 2023)
-------------
New:
Atmos Helper: Added Atmos Decoding (beta version) to MCH WAV option - Only if user has a Dolby Reference Player (DRP) installed
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added new Output option 'MLP no split' - this creates a DRP compatible mlp file from an MKV file
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added new Output option 'Native' - extracts codecs DTS/DTSHD, TrueHD, E-AC3 and AC3 to native file formats

Fixes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Output option 'MLP' now copies source TrueHD streams and converts all others - fixed
Tag & Rename, Extract Audio from MKV & Split MKV tools: Issue when Copy & Paste from Clipboard used for track tags - fixed
Tag & Rename, Extract Audio from MKV & Split MKV tools: Issue when using 'Edit Selected Tags' - fixed

Changes:
Updated Ffmpeg to 5.1.2 (Jan 16 2023 build)

Last edited:
Music Media Helper 6.3.16 Released:

Version 6.3.16 (January 20 2023)
-------------
Fixes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Saving Tags does not save tags to files - fixed

Changes:
Media Manager: Adding Source folder dialog now supports selection of multiple folders - new
Atmos Helper tool: Atmos Decoding beta fixes/changes

Direct link to installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/MMHInstaller.msi

Music Media Helper 6.3.17 Released:

Version 6.3.17 (January 21 2023)
-------------
Fixes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Saving Tags could fail in certain scenario - fixed (typo in yesterday's fix!!!)

Changes:
Atmos Helper tool: Atmos Decoding beta fixes/changes

Hello, question for beginners (and dummies like me). I was able to rip my Atmos Blu-rays and get a mkv file that plays properly in my laptop (VLC running and HDMI from laptop to AVR).
I'd like to avoid hooking the laptop and just play the Atmos files is my Oppo or Sony players. To achieve that, I tried creating with MMH either MP4 or M4A files. Once created, media info shows they contain the Atmos stream, but the Oppo and Sony fail to play them.
What am I doing wrong? The conversion with MMH looks like being pretty straight forward.
Thanks!

What am I doing wrong?

Blu-ray players cannot play Atmos in M4A containers, along with some media players. Atmos stream support was added in a relatively recent MPEG spec so older players don't recognise Atmos in M4A.

I believe Oppos play MKV and MKA files with Atmos streams. Someone here can confirm. Maybe @boondocks

Blu-ray players cannot play Atmos in M4A containers, along with some media players. Atmos stream support was added in a relatively recent MPEG spec so older players don't recognise Atmos in M4A.

I believe Oppos play MKV and MKA files with Atmos streams. Someone here can confirm. Maybe @boondocks
Boonie can confirm, but yes--my memory is that newer Oppos, at least, will play Atmos MKV (as "Video") and MKA (as "Audio") via USB.

My Oppo 203 (jailbreaked) plays MKV and MP4 with Atmos (TrueHD and DD+). Via Network from my PC SMB. Dont' remember if MKA, because I dont use it.

I have just to rename M4A files (with Atmos) to MP4 extension for the Oppp to play them from the "Video" selection menu.

My Oppo 203 (jailbreaked) plays MKV and MP4 with Atmos (TrueHD and DD+). Via Network from my PC SMB. Dont' remember if MKA, because I dont use it.

I have just to rename M4A files (with Atmos) to MP4 extension for the Oppp to play them from the "Video" selection menu.
Hi, I can confirm my Oppo 93 plays the three types of files via USB connected to the front port. In the particular case of MKV with Atmos I have to extract the thd+ac3 stream and then remux the MKV for it to be read by the Oppo (quite time consuming and does not work 100% of the times).
I've never tried changing the file extension to M4A files, I'll give it a try. If I may ask, how do you convert the MKV to M4A with MMH? In case I'm missing any step.
Thanks!

I tried this and whilst the M4a files were able to play through my Oppo 205 I lost the height speakers.

I tried this and whilst the M4a files were able to play through my Oppo 205 I lost the height speakers.

Without further investigation we cannot conclude anything.

- Did the M4A file really have content for height channels?

- Did the AVR recognize any immersive format, Atmos or other?

- Could some AVR sound setting/option be the culprit?

If I may ask, how do you convert the MKV to M4A with MMH? In case I'm missing any step.

Use MMH’s ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ tool. Set the output to ‘M4A’ or ‘MP4’ (since the Oppo won’t play .m4a) and load the MKV file(s) contains an Atmos stream using the ‘Open MKV..’ button or drag and drop files onto the tools grid from Windows File Explorer. (See the pdf docs)

If the source MKV file(s) have more than one audio stream MMH will display them and you should choose the Atmos stream (or any other stream to copy to the new .m4a/mp4 output file(s).

I tried to extract FLAC from a MKV file with one song, no chapters. It did fail. Although I expected after confirming to extract as a single file one FLAC, it did not work.

Workaround: MKV chapter editor - add two chapters. One at Start 0:00.00.00 (or what it is exactly) named with the title and the second one I put on 1 h later named End. Save to original (MKV) file.

Then I tried to extract successfully what I want (5.1 FLAC, 2.0 FLAC ...). The second file is of course containing nothing. Just deleted it.

Sorry I missed this, and am in process of fixing some network problems (including getting the Oppo networked again). With SMB I can "see" the Oppo but it can't see any files. I have to get my NFS server going again. Normally it will play MKV files as video, the other formats I just don't remember since i don't use the Oppo much these days. I will check it out soon as I get things going again and report back.
My 103 is jailbroke but...we'll see.

EDIT LATER: OK I got my NFS server software configured and firewall port settings and all that stuff. Got to go to town and drop off the SUV for some repairs and then I'll check out the file playback as I'm curious about the atmos passthrough/format playback on the jailbroke Oppo 103. MKV should be fine but don't know about M4A. Will see.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly MMH will extract audio for MKVs without chapters if you load 2 or more MKVs at same time. (Drag & Drop or select multiples in the MMH file browser.
Oh didn't know the drag&n&drop feature. So it's good to have a "dummy" MKV for this...

:)

Or just copy the desired file and use it twice.

Or I should change MMH to support a single MKV with no chapters in that tool.
Yes. Would be fine. The information was misleading me. I pressed yes and expected a single FLAC. But I got during tests never a FLAC. Once I got a mlp (!?!) that wasn't a mlp. Strange. Anyway this would be nice to have but there a workarounds. If you have time ... :)

Music Media Helper 6.4.0 Released:

Version 6.4.0 (January 28 2023)
-------------
Changes:
Atmos Helper tool: Atmos Decoding now released in MMH Atmos Helper 1.3
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Now supports adding single MKV/MKA file without chapters
Updated 3rd party UI controls to latest 22.2.4
Updated PDF Docs

NOTE: ALL USERS OF MMH 6.3 SHOULD UPDATE TO 6.4 due to several important fixes in recent updates

Sorry I missed this, and am in process of fixing some network problems (including getting the Oppo networked again). With SMB I can "see" the Oppo but it can't see any files. I have to get my NFS server going again. Normally it will play MKV files as video, the other formats I just don't remember since i don't use the Oppo much these days. I will check it out soon as I get things going again and report back.
My 103 is jailbroke but...we'll see.

EDIT LATER: OK I got my NFS server software configured and firewall port settings and all that stuff. Got to go to town and drop off the SUV for some repairs and then I'll check out the file playback as I'm curious about the atmos passthrough/format playback on the jailbroke Oppo 103. MKV should be fine but don't know about M4A. Will see.
Forgoing streaming from the pc instead:
Here's what I did: I got two atmos M4A files, "Staying Alive" & "You Should Be Dancing", the latter I changed the extension to MP4. I put them on a usb stick an delivered into the front port of the Oppo 103. I tried the M4A in both video and music mode and it would not play., The renamed M4A to MP4 file played in video mode and I got full range (that is to say I got all of my 7.0.4 current setup speakers working-I don't usually use the sub) bitstreamed to my AVR. To verify the overheads were working, since they were down on volume a bit, I pulled out the handy 3 step folding ladder and climbed up next to two of the overhead speakers. (mid top right & rear top right). The center and corners were delivering quite well as were the side surrounds, only the top 4 speakers were a bit low in volume, but there was in fact music coming from the top speakers as best I could tell. I had to crank it pretty good to get any sort of volume from the overheads.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol.
BTW, Pretty good mix!

Music Media Helper 6.4.0 Released:

Version 6.4.0 (January 28 2023)
-------------
Changes:
Atmos Helper tool: Atmos Decoding now released in MMH Atmos Helper 1.3
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Now supports adding single MKV/MKA file without chapters
Updated 3rd party UI controls to latest 22.2.4
Updated PDF Docs

NOTE: ALL USERS OF MMH 6.3 SHOULD UPDATE TO 6.4 due to several important fixes in recent updates
Congratulations on a fantastic release! MMH is now my go-to media tool (and I've used all of them over the last 25 years).

Back