Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

Without looking at the code I’d suggest the MMH is looking at the channel order only. So since you have a 5 channel file it is using the first 5 channels only (I.e. ignore the channel names and mix the first 5 channels only ad FL FR C SL SR)

I’ll check this out later this morning and fix the channel naming for 5 channel files (if that’s the issue)

Music Media Helper 6.0.9 released:

Version 6.0.9 (April 15 2022)
-------------
Fixes:
Channel Split/Merge tool: Merge view does not load all mono files - fixed
Channel Split/Merge tool: Split view gave error reading stereo files - fixed

Changes:
Updated to latest Ffmpeg v5.0.1 and MKVtoolnix v67.0.0 components
Updated to latest MediaInfo v22.03

Last edited:
Hey Garry @HomerJAU,

Got a question about mix/rendering tool in MMH in comparison to doing it manually in a DAW like Audacity.

Going from 7.1 files to 5.1 files down mix in MMH seems to create lower amplitude rears compared to say mixing the sides and rears in Audacity, so what's the difference?

And also, your desktop Icon gets lost on my desktop, too generic looking; isn't it about time you had your own MMH shortcut Icon?

Going from 7.1 files to 5.1 files down mix in MMH seems to create lower amplitude rears compared to say mixing the sides and rears in Audacity, so what's the difference?

MMH uses Sox to mix the sides and rears (i.e. SL + RL to a new Lside and SR + RR to a new Rside).

MMH uses the default mixing which is:
Where an output channel is mixed from multiple input channels, each input channel will be scaled by a factor of ¹/n. This mean 1/2 when mixing two channels into 1.

You can manually adjust individual channel gains after the remix for all the files in an album by opening the MMH Channel Volume tool, dragging all the files into the dialog, then setting the SL and SR gains to any reasonable value (i.e don't clip peaks). See the docs.

I just wanted to say, MMH has been a godsend as I am in the process of creating a media server library of 5.1 FLAC files from my disc collection. Especially useful are the tools allowing me to create 5.1 from 4.0 files, and 5.1 from 7.1 files. So simple and easy. @HomerJAU, it looks like you have spent a lot of time and effort on its creation. Thank you!

Finally sitting still long enough to finish some of the many projects. Making the jump from MMH 6 to MMH 6 but stymied by 'download .NET 6' when I've already done so. So I uninstalled MMH 6, ran .NET 6 again (as repair existing this time), rebooted WIN 10 box and then ran MMH 6 install and got 'download .NET 6' again. Ideas?
As stated above, this is an amazing set of tools that allow us to cure the frustrations that vex some of us. :) #accomplished

Make sure you are installing .NET 6 Desktop Runtime

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0
See highlighted:
1651976217293.png

Last edited:
Will MMH let me convert Atmos files from 7.1.4 to 5.1.4 (keeping Atmos of course)? Why I ask is that I have a setup (not done yet, so can't test asap) where my side (110 degrees) speakers are the matched Aerial speaker set that also comprises my mains and center (see avatar). They are what I listen to with my, say, exaSound in 5.1 but my soon-to-be-installed Lyngdorf MP-40 will be set up, normally, for 7.1.4 (very good Sp Tech Continuums in rear, mainly for movies) and I've heard that to redo Room Perfect (dsp) for 5.1.4 means a backup and restore (and not sure what that involves time and process wise). I realize that even if MMH can convert my local Atmos stuff to 5.1.4 (I hope) that the streamed 7.1.4 Apple stuff is untouchable. And not sure what format it's stored in when one downloads to local Apple Music library.

Will MMH let me convert Atmos files from 7.1.4 to 5.1.4

No MMH can’t do this as it would need to implement Atmos decoding and encoding.

The good news is Atmos is rendered to your AVRs speaker layout and does the downmix for you. Even 7.1.4 to 5.1. You don’t lose any sound playing 7.1.4 as 5.1.4 only the location in 3D space is moved.

Garry,
thanks. Yes I assumed that if I did a second roomeq setup in Lyngdorf (Room Perfect) that the object-based approach would be flexible enough to do a better-than-your-average-fold-down. It's just that the Lyngdorf doesn't have multiple setup options, so it's a kind of factory reset and do over again. Then somehow save both of these setups in a backup folder on the SD card and somehow access them. Overall, a meager first world problem. :)

Garry I've read through your documentation but I'm not getting .mkv files tagged with any art.
Will MMH do this?
e.g in MMH I took one MKV file and split it into chapters, downloaded the art, tagged but no art shows in the files.
So tell me what I'm doing wrong, please. Thanks.

Garry I've read through your documentation but I'm not getting .mkv files tagged with any art.
Will MMH do this?
e.g in MMH I took one MKV file and split it into chapters, downloaded the art, tagged but no art shows in the files.
So tell me what I'm doing wrong, please. Thanks.
I know Garry is on holiday for a few weeks, and will only have limited internet access from time to time as he is roaming the Central Australian Outback.

Hello from Coober Pedy out in the desert (Opal mining). We’re staying the weekend in an underground house and my phone gets reception here. Lucky we’d booked this place a few weeks ago as huge storm rolled in with torrential rain and dangerous wind!

Back to @boondocks question. MMH doesn’t add art to mkv files. I never thought anyone would want that but I will add support when I get back.

Edit: My suggestion in link @J. PUPSTER posted is worth a try. Copy a file named folder.jpg into MKV folder when tagging. I’ll test when I get back mid June.

Last edited:
Hello from Coober Pedy out in the desert. We’re staying the weekend in an underground house and my phone gets reception here. Lucky we’d booked this place a few weeks ago as huge storm rolled in with torrential rain and dangerous wind!

Back to @boondocks question. MMH doesn’t add art to mkv files. I never thought anyone would want that but I will add support when I get back.
lol in the boonies I see. Garry it's no big deal, I thought I was doing something wrong. But it is nice to have art to display.....your call, my friend.
Show us a precious stone, should you find any. (y)

At any rate, enjoy your vacation! I watched a video years ago about the area, how people live, etc.

I will add context meanwhile to my thinking about the art. When playing Atmos encoded files, I use VLC media player because it will bitstream to my AVR, and so I get the Atmos encoding. Instead of a blank screen, for years I used another app that would show "slides" per track and I guess I got used to it. (obvious platitudes following! get out the rags to wipe off the grease.)
But except for a few things I do out of habit, these days I mostly use MMH. You have won me over with a collection of utilities that you have masterfully combined with your own programming prowess to give us quite the program. (fact, that)
In the end, art, no art, no big deal, really, as I'm usually doing something else on the pc while the music plays!

Back