Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in MMH then, you're saying you have to start with the original MKV file and split from there, (not convert the flac files into an MKV container?)

While you are experimenting also try the Extract Audio from MKV tool to create m4a audio files. These also contain an Atmos stream if selected. Maybe the Oppo will play those?

While you are experimenting also try the Extract Audio from MKV tool to create m4a audio files. These also contain an Atmos stream if selected. Maybe the Oppo will play those?

Tested that last night and no luck. Going to try a straight rip from MakeMKV...

Last edited:
I got AudioMuxer to bag the flacs to MKV, and play sound in VLC, but I'll need to take it to my oppo next and see how it plays it via USB.

GHS-ANGIE- MKV VLC.jpg

GHS-MKV FROM FLAC AUDIOMUXER.jpg

Newbie here. I’ve tried to use the 7.1 to 5.1 remix function to create 5.1 flacs (from 7.1 flacs) for Abbey Road & REM’s Auto For The People, but I keep getting exact 7.1 flac copies as the output in the “remix” folder.

Is there something obvious I’m doing wrong?

Just tested it with the latest version, 4.0.7, and it worked fine.

I just tested and it works as intended. (as himey says).

The Remixed output becomes a 6 channel (5.1) file but the Channel Layout branding still says its 7.1. Since all the players I know ignore the layout branding and use the channel order (positions) it plays as a 5.1 with no problems with SL/BL combined to SL (same for right surrounds).

Doesn't work, I just tested. Just do a straight rip from MakeMKV...

So my recommended workflow to play Atmos/TrueHD, DTS-HDMA etc on the Oppo on a USB is:

MakeMKV to rip the disc to MKV (select the Audio streams you want in MakeMKV).
MMH to split the MKVs into individual MKV (one per track) - you can rename the files in bulk by copying a list of track names

So my recommended workflow to play Atmos/TrueHD, DTS-HDMA etc on the Oppo on a USB is:

MakeMKV to rip the disc to MKV (select the Audio streams you want in MakeMKV).
MMH to split the MKVs into individual MKV (one per track) - you can rename the files in bulk by copying a list of track names

This is correct!

I just tested and it works as intended. (as himey says).

The Remixed output becomes a 6 channel (5.1) file but the Channel Layout branding still says its 7.1. Since all the players I know ignore the layout branding and use the channel order (positions) it plays as a 5.1 with no problems with SL/BL combined to SL (same for right surrounds).
Thanks, but unfortunately it’s not a channel layout issue.

The output flac files in the “remix” folder are the exact same size as the original 7.1 flac files and when I look at them in audacity there are still 8 discrete channels, not 6, and they look exactly like the original files.

All I’m doing is clicking the remix 7.1 to 5.1 box, loading the folder with the 7.1 files and clicking “Convert”.

The output flac files in the “remix” folder are the exact same size as the original 7.1 flac files and when I look at them in audacity there are still 8 discrete channels, not 6, and they look exactly like the original files.

All I’m doing is clicking the remix 7.1 to 5.1 box, loading the folder with the 7.1 files and clicking “Convert”.

Weird. You can try Audiomuxer in the conversion area and use its remix option...

@J. PUPSTER So you have a decision to make: Do you

1. Convert your GHS to Atmos MKV (for compatibility with any future Atmos upgrade)
2. Convert to FLAC as 7.1 (and change the channel volumes to give a more immersive mix)

That, is the question. :)

Figured it out - with HomerJAU’s insight.

It turns out the file path name had a bad character - which apparently prevented the remix to 5.1 - but didn’t stop the creation of an identical copy of the original files in the “remix” folder. Once I changed that character in the folder name, it properly remixed to 5.1.

@J. PUPSTER So you have a decision to make: Do you

1. Convert your GHS to Atmos MKV (for compatibility with any future Atmos upgrade)
2. Convert to FLAC as 7.1 (and change the channel volumes to give a more immersive mix)

That, is the question. :)
Other problems and possibilities also:
Convert to Atmos MKV now and store in case of future BD disc rot :🤨
and... Convert to Flac as 7.1 and do my own adjusted mix with the help of some tools like RX-8 / Penteo / DAW to help polish it to my individual refined tastes 🍷 (just don't know if I care enough about this release, but could be a fun future project!)

Music Media Helper 4.0.8 Released

Version 4.0.8 (September 16 2020)
-------------
New Feature:
Remix Channel Layout Tool: Added new option to 'Move Quad rear channels to rear of 7.1 file'

Fixes:
Remix Channel Layout Tool: Refresh Silent Channels option popped up messagebox for each file - removed

Changes:
Remix Channel Layout Tool: User Defined Remix - increased max number of Channels to 8 to support 7.1
Remix Channel Layout Tool: Adding/Refreshing silent Channels now updates Channel Layout tags
Remix Channel Layout Tool: Remix 7.1 to 5.1 now updates Channel Layout tags

Are you downloading from the link in first post here or doing a Check for Updates from the app?

Edit: What is your current MMH version number? (bottom left of main dialog).

If you are using 4.0.x you should see download progress at the bottom of the main dialog. If you are using 3.x,x you’ll need to reinstall the new 4..0 from the first post link as the 3.x.x a auto update is not compatible with 4.0

Last edited:
G I was up to date as of last version because I had reinstalled just prior to your updating the app.
Let's see; when the notice came up in the app that a new version was available I told it to update.
The app would tell me it had downloaded the update, did I wanna quit and install? ....and I would click yes, look for the update but no see.
I'm sorry I did not look for a progress indicator but I had the downloads folder open anyway I think.

So I just downloaded and installed the new version from the first post.
My pc sometimes does weird stuff anyway since the last few Windows versions.

Back