Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KODi does not play all those tracks that are linked together correctly. It causes a pause. Tracks 13...17 as example.
Scrubbing does not work either.

Are you talking about a pause between tracks when playing back?

Foobar plays without problems. I used foobar to transcode to flac as work around. That works. VLC behaves
similar to KODi.
2.0 is ok, 4.0 not.

Not sure what you mean. It looks like you are asking about Kodi not playing Quad (4.0) flac. Foobar can. Kodi plays back 4.0 as stereo. You can fix this for Kodi by adding a silent Centre (or silent C and LFE) using MMH‘s Channel Remix tool.

MakeMKV will rip 4K with the proper drive. Dolby Vision discs have certain ripping limitations so keep that in mind. The MakeMKV forums have all this info spelled out there.

MakeMKV now rips Dolby Vision ok to the MKV container but there’s very limited support for Dolby Vision playback now from MKV files. So 4K UHD MKVs will only play as HDR on most players. I’d expect Dolby Vision playback from MKVs to become more common over next year or so

Are you talking about a pause between tracks when playing back?

Yes. It seems to stuck at the end of the song. I expected that the next one plays without a gap. It doesn't.
If you try to scrub toward the end (just to speed up in order to see if there is a gap between the tracks or not) this does not work. It ends up in playing the next track. KODi has somehow a problem. But I cannot see anything when loading the flacs into Nuendo. Maybe something header related. Or Nuendo does fix a problem when loading the flac files.

Not sure what you mean. It looks like you are asking about Kodi not playing Quad (4.0) flac. Foobar can. Kodi plays back 4.0 as stereo. You can fix this for Kodi by adding a silent Centre (or silent C and LFE) using MMH‘s Channel Remix tool.

No. This is only observed when I play these 4.0 flacs that are linked together (expected to be gapless like live). 2.0 is played as stereo, 4.0 as quad. That's always correct.

Thanks Mike.

I just played my BDA rip of Chicago III to FLAC on Kodi and all those tracks (13 to 19) all play gapless (no pause whatsoever).

Here's my set up (I'm not sure which one solves the issue):
  • Kodi 19 Matrix (Windows x64)
  • My FLACs are all resampled to 96/24 (from the BDA which is 192kHz/24bit)
  • My FLACs are 5.0 (I added a silent Centre)
  • Audio is set to Best Match (I also tried Optimised - both play gapless ok)
  • My FLACs are on my NAS (5GBE ethernet) - 5GBE shouldn't be any different to 1GBE but if your are wifi that may be an issue

My suspicion is your FLACs are 192kHz and maybe Kodi is resampling or taking time to pre-load?

Hmm. Kodi plays 4.0 as 4.0 on my setup. Maybe it's a receiver or player issue.

The Channel Remix tool’s User Defined Remix can do this. See the PDF docs.
Got it. I did not notice that I had to delete the channels that weren't in the origianal flac file. Once I did that, it was a cinch.

This has got to be one of the best audio tools ever made. And the price it right too! Thanks Homer

Spoke too soon. It still shows L R C Ls Rs even after I do this.
remap.jpg

You should leave a silent C in the output.

No player I know recognises 4.1 correctly in a 5 channel file. 5 channels is always assumed to be 5.0.

That seemed to work. I did not know that I had to leave the Center in there.

Thanks for the tool and the support.

Yes. It seems to stuck at the end of the song. I expected that the next one plays without a gap. It doesn't.
If you try to scrub toward the end (just to speed up in order to see if there is a gap between the tracks or not) this does not work. It ends up in playing the next track. KODi has somehow a problem. But I cannot see anything when loading the flacs into Nuendo. Maybe something header related. Or Nuendo does fix a problem when loading the flac files.
Look at the audio settings in KODI. What max resolution do you have it set to?, Try setting K0DI to fixed output and 5.1 channels and see if the problem goes away. There is no reason why it should play stereo gaplessly but not 5.1.

I dont know what Nuendo is.

Look at the audio settings in KODI. What max resolution do you have it set to?, Try setting K0DI to fixed output and 5.1 channels and see if the problem goes away. There is no reason why it should play stereo gaplessly but not 5.1.

I dont know what Nuendo is.
Nuendo is like Cubase or Protools a software for audio production.

@Garry:
I'm using libreelec 9.2.6 on Raspi, HDMI 5.1 pass through. Using a HDMI to 7.1 "hat" with ESS Saber DACs. Channel 7+8 are not used. The hat is capable of converting 192kHz.
The mkv is one file per disc containing all information. I do no processing nor mapping. Only converting/splitting into single flacs.

When I do the same converting using foobar (which can only take the first audio in the mkv, but here it is the 4.0), all flacs are ok. But mmh is much more comfortable than this workaround.
2.0 is ok either. This is very surprising. Really strange.

So, I figured I should post this here rather than derail the Appetite for Destruction thread. I'm trying to delay all the channels except FR 11 seconds. But...I bring the file up, and input those values, and the "Apply Delay (All files)" button remains grayed out. I'm guessing it needs a helper program, or needs a bug, or I'm missing something, but figured easiest to just check here.

Same happens here (with file, not folder)
1615760273968.png

I'm not really trying to do this, just posting to show what ubertrout is likely seeing.

Last edited:
Thanks Ted. Its a bug for sure.

I’ll fix today. A workaround is maybe to add multiple files (two at least). The bottom Apply should then get enabled.

Music Media Helper 4.1.2 released

Version 4.1.2 (March 15 2021)
-------------
Changes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for MKV and MP4 output (NOTE 1)
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added new Preference to set FLAC Compression Level (Defaults to Level 5) - in new Preferences dilog
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for tagging MKV and MKA files
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Added support for tagging MKV and MKA files (NOTE 2)
Updated PDF docs

Fixes:
Channel Delay tool: Files with long paths/filenames caused Apply button to be hidden - fixed
Channel Volume tool: Files with long paths/filenames caused Apply button to be hidden - fixed

NOTE 1: MKV and MP4 files contain a copy of the video and selected audio streams
NOTE 2: MKV and MKA tags are not supported by many applications, so may not be too useful (yet)

Back