Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garry, I just downloaded the new version and the "Extract Audio From MKV" is now perfect. The drop box has FLAC, M4A, MKV, MP4 & WAV. Thank you, looking forward to using it.

Please try an Atmos album converted to MP4 as JRiver may be able to see the tags correctly
Sure, I am ripping Disc 4 Blu Ray Atmos Kraftwerk as I type. I will convert to MP4 as an experiment.
I will also have to experiment with zones in JRiver.
If I use my MCH zone, DSD Bitstreaming through the external 8 channel DAC I might get a Atmos signal in the AVR but the DAC is not Atmos, I will try it but probably a no go.
Now if I use my Atmos zone that is HDMI bitstreaming it should work, but I am assuming, correct me if I am wrong, the MP4 will play in Atmos out of this zone but with no video attached like the MKV rips?.
Do you think I am getting the concept at least?

Please try an Atmos album converted to MP4 as JRiver may be able to see the tags correctly
Probably a dumb question, the Kraftwerk Blu Ray Atmos Disc 4 is a 1:40 min rip with MakeMKV.
Question: If I use the "Extract Audio From MKV" and select the MP4, and it does not get me what I desire, do I have to re-rip the disc in MakeMKV, or can I go right back to the "Split And Rename concerts" like I have been doing.
I am willing to give one up for the team if need be.

Apologies for late reply. Just back from lunch.

The difference between Split and Rename tool vs Extract Audio from MKV tool:

Both read from Source MKV and split into files based on chapters in source.

Split and Rename:
Copies all streams in the Source MKV
Only creates MKV output
Can rename files from copy and paste of track list
Can create NFO files (Kodi metadata files for videos)
Best used for Concerts and Music Videos (example: BDV and DVDV)

Extract Audio from MKV:
Copies only the Selected Audio stream
Can create FLAC and WAV conversions
Can create M4A files (copies selected audio stream)
Can create MKV and MP4 files (copies video and selected audio stream)
Can download album track tags from MusicBrainz online database and tag & rename files based on tags
Best used for audio albums (example: BDA and Audio DVD)

What’s Coming Next:
I plan to add NFO file creation to Extract Audio tool and a new option to create JRiver compatible xml files to allow JRiver to ’see’ MKV tags for albums and to also ‘see’ music video / concert tags too. This is my next project which I’ve already started. Beta testers using JRiver wanted!

Last edited:
Question: If I use the "Extract Audio From MKV" and select the MP4, and it does not get me what I desire, do I have to re-rip the disc in MakeMKV, or can I go right back to the "Split And Rename concerts" like I have been doing.
I am willing to give one up for the team if need be.

You can use the same Source MKV rip for both tools. MMH does not change the source MKV file, it just reads it and creates new output files based on your tool selections.

Music Media Helper 4.1.2 released

Version 4.1.2 (March 15 2021)
-------------
Changes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for MKV and MP4 output (NOTE 1)
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added new Preference to set FLAC Compression Level (Defaults to Level 5) - in new Preferences dilog
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for tagging MKV and MKA files
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Added support for tagging MKV and MKA files (NOTE 2)
Updated PDF docs

Fixes:
Channel Delay tool: Files with long paths/filenames caused Apply button to be hidden - fixed
Channel Volume tool: Files with long paths/filenames caused Apply button to be hidden - fixed

NOTE 1: MKV and MP4 files contain a copy of the video and selected audio streams
NOTE 2: MKV and MKA tags are not supported by many applications, so may not be too useful (yet)
Thanks for all your work in releasing and maintaining this tool! It's really useful to have.

Last edited:
I'm looking for JRiver users to beta test next version of MMH that supports auto creation of JRiver XML tagging files for MKV files (e.g Atmos BDA converted to MKV).

PM me for a download link please.

Here's the changes in this beta:
-------------
Changes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for JRiver XML tagging files for MKV output
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Added support for JRiver XML tagging files for MKV output

Fixes:
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Failed to save Genre tag - fixed

Here's an example of what it does for a ripped MKV file containing Atmos in JRiver:
JRiverXML.jpg

The first track above was updated by MMH (it does all tracks by default).

The other two tracks are what you get without auto creation of the XML tagging in MMH.

Last edited:
I'm looking for JRiver users to beta test next version of MMH that supports auto creation of JRiver XML tagging files for MKV files (e.g Atmos BDA converted to MKV).

PM me for a download link please.

Here's the changes in this beta:
-------------
Changes:
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for JRiver XML tagging files for MKV output
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Added support for JRiver XML tagging files for MKV output

Fixes:

Here's an example of what it does for a ripped MKV file containing Atmos in JRiver:
View attachment 64654

The first track above was updated by MMH (it does all tracks by default).

The other two tracks are what you get without auto creation of the XML tagging in MMH.

What versions of jRiver support the xml tags?

I have version MC27 the latest and have been very successful with my playback of Atmos/Video rips either as played back in chapters or full length.
I want to do a JRiver tutorial on QQ for the lay person, hopefully this week. There always is the JRiver forum but that can get a little heady sometimes.

Only tested on latest version. It users the JRiver sidecar xml files which have been around for a while in JRiver but I'm not sure what audio codecs are supported in previous versions of JRiver (for Atmos playback) or if certain tags are supported in older version. If you have a previous version you are welcome to try. (You'll still need HDMI pass-through to an AVR with Atmos decoder)

Basically what MMH does is force music tags into JRiver. MKV tag reading is not supported in JRiver but to enable ‘tags’ to appear for MKV albums JRiver allows users to edit tags in its media list and save to an XML sidecar file (one per MKV file) so JRiver can retrieve this tag data next time the album tracks are viewed/played.

MMH can fetch tags for an album’s tracks from the MusicBrainz online database and can now write to those JRiver xml sidecar files (if they exist) or create new xml files (if they don’t). So when the JRiver folders are reloaded (imported I think it’s called) JRiver reads the updated or new xml files and loads the tags into JRiver.

Without this if users imports MKVs all they get is the file name. Up until now users would need to manually enter tag data into JRiver, one tag at a time.

Although I added this feature primarily to help tagging when playing back MKVs with Atmos. It can also be used to tag any MKV with music (e.g Rip any BDA album with any selected audio stream to MKV, split and tag with MMH then add it to your JRiver library. With JRiver MKVs get added to its Video Library so you get to see the same video background as you see when playing the BDA on a BD player)

Music Media Helper 4.1.3 Released

Tools below now support JRiver Sidecar XML tagging files for video files

Version 4.1.3 (March 20 2021)
-------------
Changes:
Split & Rename Concerts: Added fetching track names from MusicBrainz online database
Split & Rename Concerts: Added support for JRiver sidecar XML tagging files for MKV output
Video Batch Creation Tools: Added support for JRiver sidecar XML tagging video files (MKV, M2TS, VOB, AVI)
Scrape Concert folder tool: Added support for JRiver sidecar XML tagging video files (MKV, M2TS, VOB, AVI)
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added support for JRiver sidecar XML tagging files for MKV output
Rename/Tagging Media Files tool: Added support for JRiver sidecar XML tagging files for MKV output
Musicbrainz Tagging dialog: Now displays Media Type for releases found (CD, SACD, Blu-ray etc)
Updated PDF docs

Fixes:
Musicbrainz Tagging: Now fetches Genre

The next release of MMH (4.1.4) Musicbrainz tagging will support multiple discs in an album release.

If more there's more than one disc in the release selected from the 'Releases' list, a 'Disc list' will be displayed, selecting a disc updates the Track List (used to tag the current disc in MMH):

DiscTagging.PNG

Currently all the release discs tracks are displayed in the Track List, so the new MMH version will make it easier to tag a disc from releases like 'Super Deluxe' where there are multiple CDs and blu-rays etc.

What am I doing wrong? Musicbrainz works for my Mp3tag searches, so it isn't a MusicBrainz subscription or anything. Is there another preference area where I need to approve MusicBrainz?
MKVAbbeyRoad1.png

Ted, save your preferences first.
You might have to click the drop box for The Beatles, and you will see random Beatles other choices? Click on the one that looks appropriate to you.
Then where, you typed Abbey Road, retype like Abbey Road Blu Ray, or Abbey Road 50th Anniversary, it will work you just have to unlock the right combo.

Hmm, if you click the little arrow to right of THe Beatles nothing happens, no drop down?
I do remember having to work at it a little with Abbey Road but finally got it.

What am I doing wrong?

Hey Ted. I’ve reworked the MusicBrainz code in lastest version of MMH so maybe a bug. Your screen grab looks good (except not finding the artist and album). I’ve made a few more changes since the release so I’ll make a beta installer in next hour and PM you a link. Let me know if it solves the issue.

Back