Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Music Media Helper 4.1.4 Released

Version 4.1.4 (March 24 2021)
-------------
Changes:
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: If a multi disc release now shows tracks by disc
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: Added ability to Stop a web search in progress
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: Only unique releases are now shown (country is ignored)
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: New preference to fetch First Release as Year (e.g. Abbey Road first released in 1969, BDA release date 2019)
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: New preference to fetch Only First Genre
MKV Chapter Editor tool: Added Musicbrainz Tagging (only for BDA albums and BDV concerts)
MKV Chapter Editor tool: Add creation of CUE files for MKVs with chapters
MKV Chapter Editor tool: Add change Default Audio Stream command
Split & Rename Concerts: Users can now change the Default Audio Stream
Updated MKV components
Updated PDF docs

Music Media Helper 4.1.5 Released

Version 4.1.5 (March 26 2021)
-------------
Fixes:
Musicbrainz Tagging feature: Crash if release not found (issue introduced in release 4.1.4)
MKV Chapter Editor tool: CUE creation did not use audio Frames (wrongly used milliseconds)

Here's a preview of a new feature in next MMH release:

New Multiple column/row editing (bulk edit) dialog:

For the various tools that support tagging, this tool allows users to select multiple tracks (rows), including new CTRL-A to select all and edit all values from a single data entry text box.

(not the best example but you'll get the concept)

Select the rows (tracks) to edit, then click the new toolbar command: 'Edit Selected Tags'

MMH pops up the Bulk Edit tags dialog:
TagMultiEdit2.PNG

In the above figure CTRL-A was used to select all the rows (tracks). MMH shows every column that is editable and checks the current values of each column’s cells for every selected row.

If all the values for the column are identical MMH displays that value. If all the values for the column are NOT identical MMH displays ‘[multiple values]’ and then loads the unique values into a drop-down list. You can easily open the drop-down list to see the different values currently in that column. You can either enter a new value or select one of the existing values to use for all selected rows.

The figure above shows an example where two columns display ‘[multiple values]’ (Title and Year - different titles is expected) with their values in drop-down lists. Each of the other columns have the same values which is shown in text boxes. The Year has its drop-down list open displaying the two values in the Year column of the grid (values 1973 and empty). You can select ‘1973’ and the value of the drop-down list will show 1973 (replacing [multiple values]).

The next figure shows the grid behind the Multi Edit dialog so you can see the Year column with one track with no year value:
TagMultiEdit1.PNG

To save the dialog data to every column of every selected row in the grid:

Click ‘Save’

NOTE: MMH never saves to any column if its dialog column value is ‘[multiple values]’. The original values remain in the grid.

For all other values: For each column its value for every selected row is updated to the value in this dialog for its column.
In the example above: The Artist textbox value is saved to the Artist column in the grid. No data is saved to the Title column in the grid.

Simple!

I've added a new user defined text removal option in the Track List editor available when tagging or copy and pasting track lists in next release, mainly because many MusicBrainz BDAs return '(5.1 mix)' as a suffix for the surround track titles (I hate that!). Example screen shot shows Abbey Road BDA:

The new 'Remove' toolbar command shows the Remove menu (shown with menu open)
CopyTextNotePad2.PNG

The 'Remove Text (below' removes the 'User Text' string entered '(5.1 mix)' is removed when you click: ''Remove Text (below'

'Copy Tracks' copies the contents of this dialog back to wherever it was called from.

A beta version of 4.1.6 is now uploaded. PM me if you'd like to test. THX

Discovery today: System Volume Information folder Impact on Media File Manager File (List) Creation

Today I decided it would be neat to have lists of albums for both the quad and 5.1 HDDs I've been prepping for two different systems. So I launched Media File Manager and started poking around. So I scanned the Quad HDD first and it took off. It got to 450 quad albums and stopped. So I had to skip to the end to see that it got everything. Oddly it stopped with the S Artists? So I ran it again and got the same results. Then it dawned on me that T, U, V, W, X, Y & Z artists would sort alphabetically *after* after 'System Volume Information folder. The scanning just stops without the blue acknowledgement box. (this will be seen during the after FIXED example) One does not monkey with System Information folder as it's locked even to admin level. So.... then I decided to hide any hidden folders lick this. Clicked Apply and then re-ran the Media File Manager scanning and the results were unchanged. Shrug; they are still factored in the scanning despite this. So then I tried renaming the quad HDD artist folders so that T-Z artist folders would sort before System Information. F5 refresh so the sort now places System Information folder as the last folder. Run the scanning and now it got full results with blue done box:

quad bfr.jpg
quad aft.jpg
completed.jpg

That worked and I got my Excel file export.
NOTE: I previously selected CSV and it didn't like something (threw a System error) and then gave me this:
error.jpg
(that's all I have)

So having retrieved my list (so I can confirm playback and cover art for each) I reverted the file names so they would appear in order. OPPO front end ignores system files which is logical. Then I did the same folder re-naming to get ALL of the album files. Here's the before and after of the 5.1 HDD folders:

51 bfr.jpg
51 after.jpg

Anyhow, there some input. Not sure what can be done but I'm sure you already have some ideas. :) Thanks again for this amazing tool kit.

Last edited:
Discovery today: System Volume Information folder Impact on Media File Manager File (List) Creation

Thanks Tim.

Media File Manager:
I’ll stop MMH from attempting to read the System Volume Info folder in the upcoming 4.1.6 release.

I’ll also stop MMH from crashing reading any folder and report why it found an issue.

I always create a folder off of the root to avoid that type of issue. It also help provide a little more granularity when presenting a share.
/music/
/music.mch/
/audiobook/
/ebook/
you get the idea ..

Fixed in latest 4.1.6 beta 2

Fixes:
Media Manager tool: Crash on scanning System folders - fixed
All tools with recursive sub-folder scanning now ignore System folders

A @timbre4 post today reminded me I should document a bit about the MMH Media File Manager's Export/Report feature. Not sure why I haven't done this sooner!

Here's the new info I added to the MMH 4.1.6 PDF docs.

Filtering & Sorting rows and Hiding Columns:

IMPORTANT: All the Export/Print reporting in Media File Manager reports ONLY on data rows that have NOT been filtered out of the grid with any filter options below. Only Columns that are NOT Hidden in the grid are exported/printed. This gives you some control of what is printed/exported to PDF, Excel etc

Sorting: Clicking on a column header toggles the sorting (up/down) for the column clicked. Hold the CTRL key and clicking adds the column sort to the previous column sort (e.g. Sort on Artist + Album). You can easily find recent additions to your media with a ‘Date’ column sort. Additional Sorting option are available by right-clicking on a column header (see the right click menu section below)

Filtering: When you hover your mouse over a column header a filter image in the header is displayed. Click on the filter image and the Grid Column Filter box dropdown (see next figure). There are two main types of column filters in the dropdown column filter box:

The ‘Values’ filter (Default) shows a list of all the unique values in the selected column with checkboxes (Checked means ‘show’, unchecked means ‘hide’):
GridColumnFilters1.PNG

In this dropdown, clicking on the ‘Text Filters’ tab at the top displays the ‘Text’ filter. Initially it is empty, but in the figure below the filter type ‘Contains’ was selected from the dropdown box and the text ‘Quad’ has been entered - This works for me on the Folder column as every quad album has a folder name suffixed '(Quad)’. I can’t filter on Codec contains 4 channel as I have silent C and LFE channels in a 6 channel file:
GridColumnFilters2.PNG

Column Right-Click menu:
A right-click on any column header pops up the Column menu allowing various functionality including Hiding the current column. The Column Chooser command allows you complete control over which columns are displayed in the grid:
GridColumnRightClick.PNG

Most of the above commands are obvious. Try them and see what it does to the grid.

Export/Reporting:
Setting up your final output:

Initially the Export/Print command shows a Preview of your data (above). The menu at top enables you to customise the presentation of your report:

Page Setup section: Page Orientation, Margins & Size are often important as reports attempt a ‘best fit’ for column widths.
Watermark: Enables you can set up a watermark for your report (QQ members will see these on a few QQ Poll and Engineers reports)
Export: Enables you to create files from your reports. Most common output formats are: PDF, Excel, Word and CSV.

You now know enough to customise the Exported Data and Reports you create in MMH's Media File Manager tool.

Last edited:
Music Media Helper 4.1.6 Released

Version 4.1.6 (March 31 2021)

New Feature:
MusicBrainz Tagging: Added Tag Edit Dialog to enable bulk editing for all files/tracks in an album or concert video

Changes:
Tagging Copy Text dialog: Moved Remove Leading and Trailing Numbers to a new menu
Tagging Copy Text dialog: Added new 'Remove user defined text' to menu
Tools with Tagging grids: Added new CTRL + A key to select all track rows
Moved tool 'Split MKV/MKA to MKA' tool functionality to 'Extract Audio from MKV' tool
Removed tool 'Split MKV/MKA to MKA' (functionality now redundant)
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added Save CUE file button, Added Clear List button
Updated PDF docs
3rd party tools updated (UI library)

Fixes:
Media Manager tool: Crash on scanning System folders - fixed
All tools with recursive sub-folder scanning now ignore System folders
Various UI and code cleanup

Um, I'm lost here; there is no longer a visible option to copy Title to Track name? Being informed I had to make a selection file(s), I used Ctrl + A to select all and then use Edit Tag Selected Tags, but still no copy titles option. I could only renumber them. Am I missing some new way to still accomplish this?

Copy Titles.jpg

Hey Tim. Looks like I’ve not made that command visible for some (buggy) reason when I moved commands to the toolbar recently. I’ll fix shortly (next hour).

In the mean time you’ll have to copy and paste each title to the new name field and renumber. Apologies.

EDIT: Now fixed. After checking the code I can see that you only need that Copy command when manually editing tags. I'll see if I can automate in a future release.

If you do a 'Tag from Musicbrainz' the titles are automatically copied to the New Name column.

Last edited:
Hey Tim. Looks like I’ve not made that command visible for some (buggy) reason when I moved commands to the toolbar recently. I’ll fix shortly (next hour).

In the mean time you’ll have to copy and paste each title to the new name field and renumber. Apologies.

EDIT: Now fixed. After checking the code I can see that you only need that Copy command when manually editing tags. I'll see if I can automate in a future release.

If you do a 'Tag from Musicbrainz' the titles are automatically copied to the New Name column.

Thanks much! I seem to have better luck (obscure titles or versions) with a pass in MP3Tag then the manual re-naming to finish it off.

Thanks much! I seem to have better luck (obscure titles or versions) with a pass in MP3Tag then the manual re-naming to finish it off.

I have been able to copy/paste obscure title tracks in Discogs to MMH and limit the amount of manual re-naming needed. Usually just remove some extra spaces which is simple compared to copy/paste every track name separately.

Yes, I do reference Discogs at times, mostly for album version verification. MP3Tag typically fills all titles at once and tags the cover art. Then all I do is open that album folder in MMH and use (1) Copy titles to track names and (2) re-number, then Save. really quick maneuver. Filling in each track name manually is last resort. at least in MP3Tag it's type #1, press ENTER, type #2, ENTER so not the end of the world.

Yes, I do reference Discogs at times, mostly for album version verification. MP3Tag typically fills all titles at once and tags the cover art. Then all I do is open that album folder in MMH and use (1) Copy titles to track names and (2) re-number, then Save. really quick maneuver. Filling in each track name manually is last resort. at least in MP3Tag it's type #1, press ENTER, type #2, ENTER so not the end of the world.

I still use Mp3Tag too. Nice to have an arsenal of tools.

Music Media Helper 4.1.8 released

Version 4.1.8 (April 14 2021)

Changes:
Channel Split/Merge tool: Added mono wav files named .lss, .rss, .lsr & rsr to files recognised for merge
Updated MKV components
Updated MediaInfo

Fixes:
Channel Split/Merge tool: Split: Failed on 16 bit wav files - fixed
Channel Split/Merge tool: Merge: Incorrect side/rear channel order for 7.1 mono files - fixed
Channel Split/Merge tool: Merge: Progress bar hidden - fixed
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Converting 24 bit audio to WAV incorrectly created 16 bit WAV - fixed

Music Media Helper 4.1.9 released

Version 4.1.9 (April 16 2021)

Changes:
Merge MKV and FLAC tool: Added option to remove any existing FLAC stream prior to adding new FLAC stream
Channel Split/Merge tool: Added Duration to gridview
Extract Audio from MKV tool: Added Duration to gridview
MusicBrainz Tagging: Added Number of Tracks label
Updated ffmpeg components to 4.4

Back