MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It definitely seems to have a big and clean sound, with some minor discrete elements in the rears (more ambient) IMO; however, the Classical genre is not one of my strengths. It does not have that discrete sound that you'd get from one of the recent Dutton Vocalion Classical titles.
I would rather you get the opinions of others, that are more in tune to this release / pieces of music from the The classical music general discussion thread:
@ubertrout - @Kal Rubinson - @humprof - @windhoek - @Soundfield - @4-earredwonder 'and others' from that thread that may want to offer a more informed opinion!

You nailed it yourself: "It does not have that discrete sound that you'd get from one of the recent Dutton Vocalion Classical titles."

Indeed, I sent my copy back to Amazon as the m/c mix offered nothing to write home about in comparison to other m/c classical titles, and it's simply not a patch, not even on the same planet as D-V's Shostakovich 5, which is arguably the best m/c classical title I've heard (not counting Tomita's work).

81gJly6VmFL._AC_UY218_.jpg

You nailed it yourself: "It does not have that discrete sound that you'd get from one of the recent Dutton Vocalion Classical titles."

Indeed, I sent my copy back to Amazon as the m/c mix offered nothing to write home about in comparison to other m/c classical titles, and it's simply not a patch, not even on the same planet as D-V's Shostakovich 5, which is arguably the best m/c classical title I've heard (not counting Tomita's work).

81gJly6VmFL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I feel like I wanna stand up for the Steinberg/Boston Planets. I take Derek's point that it's not close-mic'd-discrete on the order of some of the recent DVs--or even "sectionally" discrete on the order of some other BSO recordings that Thomas Mowrey made for DG (with Seiji Ozawa conducting). But for what Mowrey calls "big ambience" or "active surround," it's among the biggest of the big--really immersive and reverberant. Maybe it's just some sort of psychoacoustic trickery, but there are times I could swear I hear discrete low brass or low strings coming out of the rears; same for the gong in the opening of "Mars."

I know that some connoisseurs feel there are better performances and/or recordings of The Planets out there, too. (And other connoisseurs who feel The Planets is too middlebrow to have a strong opinion about!) But I like this one, even if it's controversially fast (and a little sloppy in places). It's still bright and crisp and distinct, so it's my go-to.

I feel like I wanna stand up for the Steinberg/Boston Planets. I take Derek's point that it's not close-mic'd-discrete on the order of some of the recent DVs--or even "sectionally" discrete on the order of some other BSO recordings that Thomas Mowrey made for DG (with Seiji Ozawa conducting). But for what Mowrey calls "big ambience" or "active surround," it's among the biggest of the big--really immersive and reverberant. Maybe it's just some sort of psychoacoustic trickery, but there are times I could swear I hear discrete low brass or low strings coming out of the rears; same for the gong in the opening of "Mars."

I know that some connoisseurs feel there are better performances and/or recordings of The Planets out there, too. (And other connoisseurs who feel The Planets is too middlebrow to have a strong opinion about!) But I like this one, even if it's controversially fast (and a little sloppy in places). It's still bright and crisp and distinct, so it's my go-to.

I can't disagree with that - if it works for you it works for you. Each of us can only hear what we hear in our own listening room. I'm all for that :)

Steven Wilson ‎– Drive Home
Blu-ray 5.1 mix

Two great videos: Drive Home & The Raven That Refused To Sing (directed by Jess Cope)

Four tracks recorded live in Frankfurt 2013

Two previously unreleased tracks:
The Birthday Party and an orchestral version of The Raven That Refused To Sing

MVIMG_20201219_145034.jpg

MVIMG_20201219_150048.jpg

Is the Gimme Some Truth blue ray worth getting, for the surround? Do the rears have audio, that is not in the front speakers?

Back