MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest DVD-V,Concert/Music-Related?NO 5.1ALBUMS,DVD-A,QUADIO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Christmas Choral Spectacular (Bournemouth/Breiner; Naxos DVD-A, 2004). Still available new, for $8, from Presto Classical.

IMG_20181214_110723217.jpg

D'oh! Edit, December 15: I just realized that I posted this in the wrong thread. If a mod can manage to move this to the DVD-Audio thread, I'd be much obliged...

Last edited:
The Tubes live 81'- on German TV; SD DVD video & stereo sound but fun!View attachment 37071
If you really want an AMAZING show the TUBES did go to YouTube and check out the concerts from the Fillmore in SF from the mid 70’s!!! Even though they are shot in black & white, but pro-shot as well....they were way more fun then....IMHO

Ohh, the thrift shop near my house....everytime i go i drop at.least $25...and today they had a 50%/off on some stuff!!..so browsing, i found a cd and went... huh???
Seal Live in Paris...hmmm..a cd/dvd set for $2!!! IIRC i was looking for this a few years ago and it was impossible to find... Mixed in surround by Tim Weidner who also mixed his DVDAs..will report back

Between 2000 and 2005, UK pop singer Robbie Williams put out a number of DVD Singles with tracks in 5.1 Surround sound.
I'm not sure how many were released in all but I've found 9 of these discs so far with 16 tracks in surround on them in total.
Various engineers did the remixes over the years, which are all genuine surround and not upmixes, including familiar names such as Bob Clearmountain and Al Schmitt.

I've not collected them all yet, but one other possibility is "Radio". It doesn't look like it has 5.1, but it is in a sequence (between Sexed Up and Misunderstood, judging by the catalogue numbers) where all the others around it are 5.1.

I've not collected them all yet, but one other possibility is "Radio". It doesn't look like it has 5.1, but it is in a sequence (between Sexed Up and Misunderstood, judging by the catalogue numbers) where all the others around it are 5.1.

yes, i've since picked up the DVD Single of "Radio" and the track is indeed in 5.1, a solid surround mix, by Mr. Clearmountain no less! (y)

yes, i've since picked up the DVD Single of "Radio" and the track is indeed in 5.1, a solid surround mix, by Mr. Clearmountain no less! (y)
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm enjoying trying to collect them all, but I'm not really enjoying the music very much so I wait until I see them very cheap!

Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm enjoying trying to collect them all, but I'm not really enjoying the music very much so I wait until I see them very cheap!

you're welcome :)
he's an acquired taste i guess.. one thing some of the 5.1 mixes do is expose his vocal (strengths, weaknesses and all!) more than the originals.. it's just nice to have more music made after 1977 in surround sound! :phones

you're welcome :)
he's an acquired taste i guess.. one thing some of the 5.1 mixes do is expose his vocal (strengths, weaknesses and all!) more than the originals.. it's just nice to have more music made after 1977 in surround sound! :phones
I feel that these are compressed recordings – designed for modern pop radio and mp3 players – and that combined with the DD makes them a bit uncomfortable to listen to. I totally agree with the 1977 comment, I wish there was more modern non-prog, which is one reason why I’ve sought these out.

Last edited:
The Tubes live 81'- on German TV; SD DVD video & stereo sound but fun!

View attachment 37071

Thanks for the recommendation on this one Pupster. I didn't even know it existed. It came in the mail the other day. I just sat down to watch it and it's pretty cool. Sure, the 80's Tubes were a bit watered down compared to 70's Tubes, but this is still a lot of fun. And apparently you could get away with some stuff on German TV in 1981 that never would have been allowed in American TV. ("Mondo Bondage"! :eek:) What I wouldn't give for Jethro Tull style packages of The Tubes catalog. There's a lot of video of them in their prime, and their LPs are perfect candidates for 5.1 mixes. Al Kooper produced their first album. I loved his 5.1 mixes for BS&T and Super Session. I bet he could do wonders with The Tubes catalog.

Thanks for the recommendation on this one Pupster. I didn't even know it existed. It came in the mail the other day. I just sat down to watch it and it's pretty cool. Sure, the 80's Tubes were a bit watered down compared to 70's Tubes, but this is still a lot of fun. And apparently you could get away with some stuff on German TV in 1981 that never would have been allowed in American TV. ("Mondo Bondage"! :eek:) What I wouldn't give for Jethro Tull style packages of The Tubes catalog. There's a lot of video of them in their prime, and their LPs are perfect candidates for 5.1 mixes. Al Kooper produced their first album. I loved his 5.1 mixes for BS&T and Super Session. I bet he could do wonders with The Tubes catalog.

Man I do love that CBP album; it's definitely in my short stack to run through the new Surround Master v2 when it arrives.:dance

I just picked up Gordon Lightfoot Live in Reno don't know anything about it but will report back once I get a chance to listen to it any comments from those who have it appreciated It apparently has a DTS track interested to hear this love Gord

Bring them on ...... the Tubes in 5.1 and please include some of their amazing videos! White PUNKS can HOPE!:51QQ

Last edited:
How is the surround on this one, Adam? (And how does the performance differ from the one used on the original LP release?)

QQ newsflash update on the ELP Pictures at an Exhibition 35th Anniversary DVD! ⚡😁

the DTS and Dolby Digital surround tracks accompanying the concert video footage is a very front-heavy presentation, purely ambience in the Rears, with the reverb of Emerson's various instruments being most prominent in the Rear channels but really the Rears are so much more muted than the Fronts that to me they add very little to nothing to the viewing experience. video quality isn't bad and i found the concert itself very enjoyable.

the bonus audio content of Pictures at an Exhibition (orch. Ravel) by the Ukranian National Symphony Orchestra at the Grand Concert Studio of the National Radio Company of Ukraine in Kiev from 2001 is also in DTS Surround and is much more surround-y than the 1970 concert and sound quality is excellent. a genuine worthwhile bonus and much more engaging from a surround pov than the main feature of the concert itself imho.

Back