MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest DVD-V,Concert/Music-Related?NO 5.1ALBUMS,DVD-A,QUADIO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
---------Dumble-licious
(Saw this tour in Sacramento - Guitar Heaven!)

https://www.discogs.com/Larry-Carlton-With-Special-Guest-Robben-Ford-Live-In-Tokyo/release/9671812

A little bit of UK's biggest selling girl group ever just received....Bananarama- The Reunion Tour from 2017. DVD authored by Neil Wilkes, and with DTS and DD options....not much to write home about surround though, but the gurls....they've still got it....Venus.

Utopia: Redux Live In Japan '92

Original members reunite 7 years after breaking up. Hadn't missed a beat. Dolby 5.1 (mixed by Rundgren) is a better surround mix than your typical DVD of the day. Great playing and the PQ is pretty good and camera movement is non obtrusive. Includes my favorite Utopia song "Caravan" which is not included on the new Utopia live BluRay just realeased via Cleopatra. Still waiting to pull the trigger on that and wonder if anyone here could comment on the surround mix/codec. I was terribly disappointed in the previous Cleopatra Todd R Blu Ray release, Live At Ridgefield - Dolby Stereo only :mad:

I actually got this a few months ago--a cheap sealed copy from an Amazon Marketplace seller--but have only just now gotten around to auditioning it:

Norah Jones, Feels Like Home "Deluxe" Edition (CD + 5.1 DVD-V).​

Just what you'd expect from Norah Jones: tasteful and inoffensive with solid musicianship, and (in this case) a little bit of "Americana" flavor, thanks in part to the guest artists (Dolly Parton, Levon Helm) and in part to the repertoire (Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Gram Parsons). The DVD-V is mostly live concert performances, with ambiance, reverb, and crowd noise in the rears, plus two music videos. The 5.1 is Dolby Surround, so even the best of the bunch (the video of "What Am I to You," IMO) basically just features an expanded, wraparound soundstage--although in the case of "What Am I," the wraparound produces some discrete-ish-sounding guitar and keyboard licks in the rears.

Last edited:
Original members reunite 7 years after breaking up. Hadn't missed a beat. Dolby 5.1 (mixed by Rundgren) is a better surround mix than your typical DVD of the day. Great playing and the PQ is pretty good and camera movement is non obtrusive. Includes my favorite Utopia song "Caravan" which is not included on the new Utopia live BluRay just realeased via Cleopatra. Still waiting to pull the trigger on that and wonder if anyone here could comment on the surround mix/codec. I was terribly disappointed in the previous Cleopatra Todd R Blu Ray release, Live At Ridgefield - Dolby Stereo only :mad:

While the new Utopia DVD does contain a 5.1 track, the use of the surrounds is virtually non-existent. Unfortunate, as Utopia music would be ideal for a 5.1 mix.

Marcus Miller - Tutu Revisited Live DVD 5.1 DTS

I had the privilege to see an updated version of this show at Lincoln Center last month (a gift from my wife). This DVD from 2011 is as close as you can get to seeing the show live. The players are all masters and have tremendous interplay. The filming, PQ, staging and pure musicality are all off the chart. This is a tribute to Miles Davis/Miller’s reinvention “Tutu” - horn players Christian Scott(trumpet) and Alex Han(sax) are both gifted, physical players. A special blend of jazz/funk/fusion. The surround is typical ambience and crowd in the rears - but is otherwise an excellent recording.👍

Last edited:
Is Miles your all time favorite musical artist, Linda?

He's in my top 20.
More Top 20 faves:
Moby Grape
Spirit
Beatles
Don Ellis
Sergio Mendes
Dylan
Hendrix
Trane
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Laura Nyro
Phil Ochs
Jeff Beck
Cream
Santana
Loggins & Messina
Tampa Red
Roosevelt Sykes
Herb Alpert
Blood Sweat & Tears

I "subscribe" to a couple hundred other acts.

He's in my top 20.
More Top 20 faves:
Moby Grape
Spirit
Beatles
Don Ellis
Sergio Mendes
Dylan
Hendrix
Trane
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Laura Nyro
Phil Ochs
Jeff Beck
Cream
Santana
Loggins & Messina
Tampa Red
Roosevelt Sykes
Herb Alpert
Blood Sweat & Tears

I "subscribe" to a couple hundred other acts.
Very nice Top 20!

Earth, Wind & Fire In Concert (at the Oakland Coliseum, 1981). DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1. Haven't read any reviews, and have no idea (yet) how good the surround mix is. But for five bucks (at Crossroads Music in Portland), I wasn't going to leave this sitting in the bin!

Last edited:
Back to Braodway - Barbra Streisand DVD/CD
Legends of American Folk Blues Festivals V3
50's & 60's Rock & Roll Graffiti 2 CD/8 DVD New performances by classic AM stars.
Linda, where’d you score that Volume 3 of the Legends Of American Folk Blues Festivals from? I’m missing that one in my collection.

Back