Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Rear channels are lumped in with the Front channels on my setup 🤦‍♀️

Looks like the 17.2 beta breaks it. I tested on a 17.1 AppleTV and it still played back fine.

Send feedback quick so they can fix it before the 17.2 release (but I wouldn't hold my breath, when they break something like this it usually takes 6 months or so to fix).

fwiw the latest Beta update 17.2 (21K5341f) hasn't corrected the Dolby Audio 5.1/7.1 channel mapping issue 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_2991.jpeg

fwiw the latest Beta update 17.2 (21K5341f) hasn't corrected the Dolby Audio 5.1/7.1 channel mapping issue 🤷🏻‍♀️

View attachment 98178

On the good news side my Feedback is showing this.

I almost never see "similar reports" filled in (it always says "none") so this one at least might get some attention.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.06.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 3.06.57 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
@Cheezmo -That fix was the shortest 6 months of my life, but after Covid being the longest decade, I have lost all sense of time.

Thanks for posting feedback and asking others to do the same.

Yeah, I'm surprised the fix is making it into 17.2. They also fixed Listening History syncing in the latest beta.

Now if only the Computers app on the AppleTV would play hi-res ALAC from my Music library again like pre 17.0 did. (Currently hangs on anything over 24/48). I can't even remember how many releases (tvOS 14?) ago they broke multichannel ALAC playback in the Computers app. I've given up on that one.

I am searching for streaming surround stuff to make DTS discs for my Cadillac so I can listen to the stuff, as well as at home. Why did this thread stop a few months ago?

I am searching for streaming surround stuff to make DTS discs for my Cadillac so I can listen to the stuff, as well as at home. Why did this thread stop a few months ago?
Largely because the labels stopped adding any more back-catalogue 5.1 and/or 4.0 titles to Apple Music. It's not clear whether "Dolby Audio" (as a label for non-Atmos multi-channel content) is still something that Apple, Dolby, and/or the labels are committed to.

Largely because the labels stopped adding any more back-catalogue 5.1 and/or 4.0 titles to Apple Music. It's not clear whether "Dolby Audio" (as a label for non-Atmos multi-channel content) is still something that Apple, Dolby, and/or the labels are committed to.
Thank you for your reply. I will move over to the Atmos streaming post now.

Thank you for your reply. I will move over to the Atmos streaming post now.
There's a Dolby Audio list over at Ben Dodson's spatialaudiodb.com under the "recently updated"; if you look it's about 8-9 months worth, so it's a decent list (whereas the Atmos list is the same length but represents only the past week!).

Back