Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a shame the Quads of Deodato 2 & Body Talk didn't show up in the U.S. 😣 but we always have the DV SACDs, thank goodness! 🙏

oh! that's unfortunate! 😔
if you add the Playlist to your Library do you get all songs that are available in the U.S. beyond 300?

I'm running pretty close to the 100k song limit in Apple Music so I'm not going to try adding the entire playlist to my library (although I already had everything except those 2 albums so far), so I'll leave that test to someone else.

I'm running pretty close to the 100k song limit in Apple Music so I'm not going to try adding the entire playlist to my library (although I already had everything except those 2 albums so far), so I'll leave that test to someone else.
there's a limit of 100k!? 😱
i better stop willy-nilly adding everything in Atmos to my Library!!🤣

Sampled a few cuts from this. The music's not bad but the mix is unimpressive.

So then I moved on to an old school quad:

Despite being a fan of Dan's early work, I had never actually heard the album. Music is decent but I like the surrounding albums (Souvenirs and Nether Lands) much more. Mix is nice and discrete but I don't think the drums isolated in the rear right channel work for this. (However, if Mr. Dutton wanted to apply his magic dust to it, I'd certainly buy).

Oh, and there was a recent post from someone with a link to a website of his that listed everything that he knew was available for streaming, that's where I discovered that the Fogelberg quad was on Apple. For the life of me though, I can't find that post now. So a big thank you to whoever that was! And my apologies for not giving you the proper credit.

Mix is nice and discrete but I don't think the drums isolated in the rear right channel work for this. (However, if Mr. Dutton wanted to apply his magic dust to it, I'd certainly buy).
I thought the quad sounded rather muddy as well (just like the SQ LP), but the stereo version on Apple Music isn't much better to my ears. I'd also be curious to hear what Dutton could wring out of it.

This isn't a complete list, but just in case you're seeking out more vintage quads unavailable on disc:
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
  • Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night
  • Edgar Winter Group - With Rick Derringer
  • Johnny Winter - John Dawson Winter III
  • Johnny Winter - Saints & Sinners
  • Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
  • Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns
  • Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
  • Byrds - Byrdmaniax
  • Manhattans - It Feels So Good
  • Youngbloods - Best Of
  • Lee Michaels - Nice Day For Something
  • MFSB - Love Is The Message
  • Mountain - The Best Of
  • Michael Murphy - Swans Against The Sun

The Sammy Hagar is Dolby Atmos, not Dolby Audio.

Sampled a few cuts from this. The music's not bad but the mix is unimpressive.

So then I moved on to an old school quad:

Despite being a fan of Dan's early work, I had never actually heard the album. Music is decent but I like the surrounding albums (Souvenirs and Nether Lands) much more. Mix is nice and discrete but I don't think the drums isolated in the rear right channel work for this. (However, if Mr. Dutton wanted to apply his magic dust to it, I'd certainly buy).

Oh, and there was a recent post from someone with a link to a website of his that listed everything that he knew was available for streaming, that's where I discovered that the Fogelberg quad was on Apple. For the life of me though, I can't find that post now. So a big thank you to whoever that was! And my apologies for not giving you the proper credit.

Back